Please support the Boiler Scrappage scheme petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingbat

Free Member
Nov 28, 2006
That's why it is really important that the scheme is not run by one large installation firm.

I have been saying from the start, that the householder should get the grant. This will enable them to get competitive quotes from Gas Safe registered installers, small and large, rather than a monopolistic scheme where prices could be inflated in the first place giving no saving to the householder.

How to work that? Dodgy installer goes around signing off installations that don't exist and splits money with the customer etc.

These schemes are always milked by the scammers. And the government don't care as they'll just set aside a certain amount of money for it and say they've done their bit.

Sorry, Mick, I understand you want to help out merchants but I shed no tears for installers who are making a very, very healthy living already. Thanks to Corgi's closed shop arrangement.

Upvote 0
How to work that? Dodgy installer goes around signing off installations that don't exist and splits money with the customer etc.

These schemes are always milked by the scammers. And the government don't care as they'll just set aside a certain amount of money for it and say they've done their bit.

Sorry, Mick, I understand you want to help out merchants but I shed no tears for installers who are making a very, very healthy living already. Thanks to Corgi's closed shop arrangement.
What? "understand you want to help out merchants".....

Ok, whatever! :|:rolleyes::|

Upvote 0
I saw a piece about this on the news last night and they inteviewed a boiler guy.

All he went on about was how it would help their industry. Never said anything about the environment.

There's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Steve

Reactions: MartCactus
Upvote 0
I saw a piece about this on the news last night and they inteviewed a boiler guy.

All he went on about was how it would help their industry. Never said anything about the environment.

There's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Steve

Oh you cynic!

In days gone past people who were concerned about the environment used to grow their hair, stop using deodorant and live off govt handouts whilst waving placards and planning campaigns of action.

These days any one who cares about the pandas and the whales obviously becomes a plumbers merchant - but I guess the living off govt handouts and waving placards is a hard habit to shake off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sure

Free Member
Dec 30, 2006
www.boilersure.co.uk
Although your local heating engineer may be qualified in energy efficiency and an expert in boilers and heating systems he wont be the person to ask, presumably it is thought that there could be a conflict of interests.:rolleyes:

You will need to get an EPC (Energy performance certificate) from an independant and "qualified" DEA (Domestic energy advisor) to verify that your boiler is actually G rated and currently in use. Though EPC's don't show boiler ratings:|
I guess this will also help all the people that spent fortunes training to be DEA's before everyone stopped buying or selling houses.

Reactions: G. Lasagne
Upvote 0

Sure

Free Member
Dec 30, 2006
www.boilersure.co.uk
Nobody seems to know how many boilers will fall into the scheme, though there are over 1000 different models.

I suspect very few people will take up the £400 incentive because a 25-30 year old heating system is likely to need a lot more than just replacing the boiler.
To comply with building regs, benchmark etc they could be looking at spending over £3000.
Its reckoned that G rated boilers have a life span of another 6 years on average, so they would be replaced "naturally" over a relatively short period anyway.

I agree the government is just trying to make the right noises, without it actually costing too much, if they were serious about the environment they would include all boilers older than ten years and lower than a B rating.

Upvote 0
the scrappage scheme is not worth the paper it was written on, the only companies that get to fit these boilers are the guys on the eaga scheme which is fixed for the next three years

the people who need the boiler changes are not going to be able to afford the £1000+ needed to pay for the replacements over the grant figure

why are we still fitting boilers, bigger grants to chage to air source or ground source pumps would make alot more sense, but there is no chance with that based on the current management!

Upvote 0

MASSEY

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
Birmingham
Its all most as if its an indirect fiscal stimulus to a hard hit sector, and enviornment will be helped via this.

In terms of the extra money people will have to spend because the boiler will not be the only thing that needs altering i think they will spend that money, as they are home owners afterall and they will look at this as a money saving incentive.

And the exta money generated will be taxable, i also think the scrappage scheme should be aimed at the smaller company's excluding the large.

Reactions: MickW
Upvote 0

LicensedToTrade

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Suffolk
Just to revive this thread and update you on Graham The Plumbers' Merchant position on the boiler scrappage scheme. Whilst I was at first sceptical we have now got on board and rolled out a dedicated website for home owners and installers. Please take a look to see if you are eligible.

http://www.greenerboilerscheme.com/

Reactions: MickW
Upvote 0
Just to revive this thread and update you on Graham The Plumbers' Merchant position on the boiler scrappage scheme. Whilst I was at first sceptical we have now got on board and rolled out a dedicated website for home owners and installers. Please take a look to see if you are eligible.

http://www.greenerboilerscheme.com/
Graham have been supportive from the start of the campaign, as have most other merchants, as well as major boiler manufacturers and installer organisations.

I'm glad you are now supporting the campaign, although I note that you say that "I was at first sceptical" and now you say that "We have now got on board".. :)

Upvote 0
Well my old bolier packed in yesterday. Not bad though since it was installed in 1984. May be able to replace the broken valve though for around £150 so if I can I will do as no scrap scheme for us cold people up in Scotland:(
I don't suppose you are over 60, are you?

If you are, you can probably get some help via the "Warmfront" scheme!

We are still campaigning for the scheme to be taken up in Scotland, Wales & NI - they have had the funds allocated, but it still has to be approved by the individual Assemblies...

Upvote 0
I don't suppose you are over 60, are you?

If you are, you can probably get some help via the "Warmfront" scheme!

We are still campaigning for the scheme to be taken up in Scotland, Wales & NI - they have had the funds allocated, but it still has to be approved by the individual Assemblies...

60:eek: If I get to 60 I hope I am in no need of central heating as I will only be visiting Scotland in the summer:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu