Please support the Boiler Scrappage scheme petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean like the "warm Front" scheme already in operation Mick ,but for everyone ?

And that`s a licence to print money for some Gas Safe engineers Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Skyhi2
No, I want a scheme that will allow householders to get competitive quotes from any Gas Safe engineer for a boiler replacement and get a contribution from the Scrappage Scheme towards the cost.

I am simply asking for the government to work with boiler manufacturers to create a scrappage scheme!! I'd love some input into how it would work, but who knows how these things are decided....... I'll do my best, whatever!

Upvote 0
Bit of a blinkered thread

The UK 'management' don't have two-bob to rub together, so this would need to be funded by taxation in one way or another

As sun / wind / sea elements can generate electrical power for FREE, why not harness these energies to provide sufficient (lighting / heating / cooking) power to every UK household for a fixed annual fee (proportionate to power usage)

Would take a lot of money to get this established but I'm sure the banks (aka Rothschilds) have the money to fund it, and it could be re-paid (with interest) over the coming years

This way we don't drain the resources and maybe our kids / grand-kids could have free power

Reactions: MickW
Upvote 0

Dawg

Free Member
Feb 12, 2006
helvetictoc.com
Bit of a blinkered thread

The UK 'management' don't have two-bob to rub together, so this would need to be funded by taxation in one way or another

As sun / wind / sea elements can generate electrical power for FREE, why not harness these energies to provide sufficient (lighting / heating / cooking) power to every UK household for a fixed annual fee (proportionate to power usage)

Would take a lot of money to get this established but I'm sure the banks (aka Rothschilds) have the money to fund it, and it could be re-paid (with interest) over the coming years

This way we don't drain the resources and maybe our kids / grand-kids could have free power

Nothing is free. You say we'll borrow to pay for the capital costs; that will make it chargeable. Continued maintenance costs will have to be paid for, distribution costs, replacement costs: all these will have to be paid for.

I'm all for exploring the viability of all energy sources but it needs a proper cost/benefit analysis, including all the externalities rather than a pie in the sky wish list, with money borrowed from the banks. (aka Rothschilds? - what planet is this from?)

Upvote 0
An update, for those interested.

We now have the support of the Federation of Small Businesses, The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers, The Association for the Conservation of Energy, The Clean Air for London Campaign, boiler manufacturers, many environmentalists and cross-party support from MPs and local politicians.

New support is coming daily and the campaign was featured on BBC2 last week.

It is going very well indeed, but we still need more signatures on the petition, so if you feel able to support the campaign, you can read about it and sign on our website http://reheatbritain.org.uk

Thank you for your support to the people who have already signed.

Upvote 0
I really dont see how these boilers actually would help the enviroment.

To my knowledge the water (condensation) that is drained away into the earth is very acidic, in fact so much so that if it was ingested then urgent medical attention would be required.

Condensate from a domestic condensing boiler is indeed acidic and can damage pointing or other cement if it is allowed to drip on it for any length of time. The usual practice, I believe, is to discharge it straight to the plastic domestic drainage system. I can't honestly imagine anyone wanting to drink it...

Have a look at the website to see how replacing old, inefficient boilers will help the environment. http://reheatbritain.org.uk

We are getting serious support for the idea now and all new signatures will be gratefully received and help us make the government consider the campaign.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What do you mean?

You know the money the government uses to pay for stuff? They take it from us.

So, if this scheme goes ahead, money will be taken out of your pocket to pay for it.

In return, you'll get the warm feeling of satisfaction knowing you've paid to increase the value of your neighbours' houses.

Steve

Reactions: MartCactus
Upvote 0
The Energy Saving Trust estimate that the saving for an average household could be about £250 per year.

If that is the case why should the govt be shelling out tax payers money for this? Why not just tell people they can save 250quid?

Why not have a website scrappage scheme, where the government can pay for everyone who has an old website to get it upgraded? Obviously its mere coincidence that I sell internet software, and that doesn't make me biased at all.

The car scrappage scheme is a farce. You can trade in a 11 year old 1.2 Clio and buy a new Jag... I don't see anything green about that.

Upvote 0
Last time I looked at it for my house it just did not stack up financially.

I have a 25 year old gas boiler doing the heating and hot water on a large 25 year old house. Gas bills are high.

The boiler has not given a day of trouble in 10 years I have been here.

When I priced replacing it with the aim of lower bills it was going to take years to get the pay back and a fair chance that the central heating system would not cope with the new boiler which would result in replacing that which put the pay back into the far of future that I will probably never see.

Compare with my mothers house with modern boiler and much lower bills but constant break downs because of lack of quality.

I do not buy the green pitch in any sector that involves scraping working products so they can be replace with new working products that have to be built.

Must be better to use things until they can no longer do the job and then replace.

Reactions: Tom McClelland
Upvote 0

Dawg

Free Member
Feb 12, 2006
helvetictoc.com
Why not have a website scrappage scheme, where the government can pay for everyone who has an old website to get it upgraded? Obviously its mere coincidence that I sell internet software, and that doesn't make me biased at all.

I thought I saw something about the OP...

"Mick Williams, who runs a chain of plumbers' merchants in the South of England. "
:)

Upvote 0

"Mick Williams, who runs a chain of plumbers' merchants in the South of England. "

It's true, I do run a plumbers merchant, which is why I know how efficient new boilers are.

I originally thought that replacing old inefficient boilers through a scrappage scheme would be much better for the environment than the car scheme and in the end I did something about it.

If you actually check out the website, you will see that the biggest supporters of the campaign are environmentalists - why? because it will be really good for the environment, use less energy and reduce NOx!!

I think you will find that boiler manufacturers will chip in to the cost and remember, the government has already earmarked funds to reduce CO2 emissions in order to meet it's targets. I say use some of that money
to help fund this scheme.

Read the website to learn more http://reheatbritain.org.uk

Upvote 0
You should have declared at the outset Mick.

Skyhi2.
Yes, you're probably right, but I have been talking about this in so many places and this is probably the only place where it is not obvious that I run a plumbers merchant.

It really was the massive environmental advantage over the car scheme that made me get off my bum and do something.

If there is a positive side effect to help create work for a section of the construction industry, then it can only be another good thing.

In terms of boiler sales in the UK, my business is minute and any extra profit that my business would make has already been negated by the cost of promoting the campaign. If I was only doing it to feather my own nest, I have failed, big time! :)

No, I believe it is a really good idea and I am sorry that I didn't make clear my position at the start of this thread.

Upvote 0

That was my point.

I'd be quite happy for the government to spend tax payers money subsidizing the internet industry. Of course I would - I'd get some of my taxes back!

If all of the arguments about replacing a boiler stack up (ie reduced energy costs) and the boiler manufacturers are happy to "chip in" then why involve the government?

Just get the boiler manufacturers to cut prices of boilers, and persuade the public that any money they invest they'll get back in reduced fuel costs. No need for anyone in government to do anything at all, apart from perhaps lending their vocal support to it.

The banks and construction industry had years of boom where they raked it in. And now we get the inevitable slow down that follows a boom based on ever increasing debt levels, and they are asking for the government to subsidize their products and services to help them out?

I think its quite appalling that successful companies like ours have money taken from them by the government, and this is then used to prop up failed companies like banks, and car manufacturers. The whole reason capitalism works is because money finds its way to the best companies - they make money. Taking the money from them and giving it to companies that have shown they can lose money wont help the economy - it will destroy it.

Here's an interesting environmental point... with all these inefficient boilers toiling away pumping CO2 into the atmosphere that is going to fuel global warming. It will be warmer! And that means.... we won't have to use our boilers so much, thereby helping us to hit the government's CO2 targets :) So save money on your future heating bills and help reduce future CO2 emissions by driving a Hummer and running your heating with the windows open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu