PLEASE HELP - MY COMPANY IS SETTING ME UP FOR THE SACK ON TRUMPED UP ACCUSATIONS - I NEED HELP !!

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by YORKSHIREPUDDING, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

6,179 914
    Well do - that is a lot more than where you started - now move on with your life!

BTW, wasas that a redundancy payment or payoff?

This needs to be confirmed by an expert, but, if redundancy, the tax position is far better then a payoff.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  2. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,094 10,710
    Good stuff. Put it all behind you and just get on with your life. There is no point in being bitter about things, all it will do is eat you up inside. Enjoy the time off.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. YORKSHIREPUDDING

YORKSHIREPUDDING UKBF Newcomer

48 2
    Compromise agreement !!!

Good reference and a tax free cheque of £13k

So that gives me and my family a six month safety net whilst I find another job which means I can now sleep at night !!!

I'm not going to rush anything now, just going to get my CV out and hopefully find a job over the next few weeks whilst doing a million and one jobs around the house.

Glad it's all over and I don't want to work for a set of b******s like that anyway.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: YORKSHIREPUDDING Member since: May 24, 2014
  4. FirstClassVirtualOffice

FirstClassVirtualOffice UKBF Legend

1,083 211
    I know you have sorted it now, but I can't see how they can even legally enforce you cannot work in the same industry for 4 days let alone 4 months, regardless of you accepting the payment on that basis. e.g it is an unfair contract term because it is so unreasonable.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: FirstClassVirtualOffice Member since: Nov 5, 2010
  5. BusinessDeli

BusinessDeli UKBF Enthusiast

555 99
    @FirstClassVirtualOffice Have a quick read through this http://www.out-law.com/page-7086

My belief is that they're a crock and unfair but that's irrelevant and if you agree to the terms then there you go.

Well done YorkshirePudding, get your head down for a few days and then set yourself about the new career!

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: BusinessDeli Member since: Sep 2, 2008
  6. YORKSHIREPUDDING

YORKSHIREPUDDING UKBF Newcomer

48 2
    I agree, being as though I did not have a contract anyway, but they made it crystal clear with the 48 hr deadline to sign the final offer would be withdrawn and I would be then facing gross misconduct.

At that stage I could have blown the place up I was that angry !!!!!!!!!!

Problem is, with zero finance coming in, a house and a family to run and "sacked" on my CV I had to take the cash and run. Without income we could have lost our home.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: YORKSHIREPUDDING Member since: May 24, 2014
  7. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,094 10,710
    No you wouldn't. You would have just gone to the bank and asked them for a mortgage break.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. FirstClassVirtualOffice

FirstClassVirtualOffice UKBF Legend

1,083 211
    Unfair contract terms can be unenforceable, regardless of signing them though.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: FirstClassVirtualOffice Member since: Nov 5, 2010
  9. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend

10,314 1,782
    Sounds a bit of a **** deal to me really, but they had you bent over. You were worried about being able to pay the bills etc. I would have probably wanted 20k being ejected into a tough jobs market.

I don't like the clause of not being able to contact old clients in your new job for 12 months. What if your new employer has contracts with some of the same people your old employer did? Probably would be an issue for a new employer.

I would hand over all of your contacts to your new employer as an incentive to hire you, but tell them someone else must approach them.

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  10. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Legend

3,786 1,817
    Well done.

As I said earlier, I went through something similar 12 months ago. Frightening at the time, but my life is now so much better, as will yours be. Don't now dwell on if buts and maybes, you've got the cash you've got, the sun is shinning and people are hiring.

Enjoy the sunshine - I'm chuffed for you.

J

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.