Please give some advises on opening my own cosmetics company!

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by Karleon, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karleon

Karleon UKBF Newcomer

4 1
    Hello everyone!

I was looking for information about all of the things I need for my business and I haven't found 100% information for it.

Brief about the company: I want to open my own factory of cold pressed oils for skincare and hair care, but I understand, that I need to do everything in a correct order. I have tried to contact start-up supports and etc, but I have very specific questions and they have answers for the basics as accountancy. Production bits - I have done it already, maybe I would need some guide of keeping conditions, but other that that its OK.

So as I am planning to start a business which manufactures oils from seeds and nuts, which will be consumed by humans on skin, hair and possibly - for oral consumption. I assume, that all of that must be certified, tested and etc as it could be unsuitable for some reasons. Where I would need to start with? Testing laboratories or some other authorities? Also a big question I have - shelf life? Who does check the shelf life, who does tests on that?

Long story short - if I want to open skincare, hair care cosmetics - what do I need from A to Z? (Skip the production big as it's ready)

Also, wouldn't be able to ask all stuff, so later on may add other questions!

If something is unclear - just ask and I'll try to answer.

Thanks for your time and answers!;)

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Karleon Member since: Jun 25, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA Full Member

5,800 1,372
    You're asking for too much and this is worrying if you have little information to open your business.

How far have you got so far with your research?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Legend

2,616 942
    Have you found anyone to sell to yet? Or a way to reach consumers?

Start with figuring that out first, as if you can't get that right then there's no point in doing the rest.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Lab can give shelf life expectancy. Depends on your mixture - some stuff could reduce your shelf life.,
    A to Z is a big question. There are some books on doing skincare stuff - soaps etc.
    The trade body for your type of stuff may have some info too. Or know who to talk to.
    Just be warned, not everyone who can help you will be free. Some will charge for expertise.

And may well have environmental health checking on you to make sure workplace and methods are safe and sanitary.
    Hairs in lipstick, sharp metal in lipstick etc tend to not go down well.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

6,179 914
    Where are you based?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  6. Karleon

Karleon UKBF Newcomer

4 1
    It will be natural oils for start. No additional stuff, no chemicals. I have 'tested the waters' by producing them and reaching customers locally and through facebook. I have started to move forwards with e-commerce shop, but decided, that I will get a green light from all the legal bits, like tests, that it can be safely used on skin and on hair.

Lets say - starting question would be: If I want to produce and sell my oils, what legal things do I need to get first? Talking about making sure, that products are safe to sell to customers. I am waiting for answers from The FDA and Trading Standards UK. Also, now I am reading about labeling and what must be on it :)

Honestly, would be nice to hear from someone who went in to skincare / hair care production and selling. They must know all stuff at the beginning, all the legal things :)

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Karleon Member since: Jun 25, 2019
  7. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Legend

2,616 942
    I did have an oil-based skincare brand a number of years ago. If you're looking to sell to the likes of Boots then you will need to spend a lot of money on lab testing etc, but if you're looking to create a "boutique brand" kind of feel then its not so much of a worry.
    Are you looking to sell anything for actual consumption? Or just on the skin?

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  8. Karleon

Karleon UKBF Newcomer

4 1
    Firstly, aiming for skin and hair oils. Later on, if it goes good enough and it brings profits - I would try to move towards oral consumption as well.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 By: Karleon Member since: Jun 25, 2019
  9. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Enthusiast

374 81
    In many countries, cosmetic products have to be tested and certified. Make sure you understand the full legal requirements for your sales market.

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  10. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Ace

462 112
    The UK Skin Care sector has changed a lot in recent years.

It is now regulated by the EU Cosmetics Directive which requires you to register your products and test most batches in an independent lab.

You are some way off having an understanding of the challenges ahead of you and UKBF isn't somewhere with a lot of skin care manufacturing expertise. I own a vertically integrated skin care brand, and I hardly know where to start with your questions!

Measuring shelf life is relatively straightforward - you could use a lab like Donningtons to do the required tests. But before you get there, you need to think about preservation and formulation.

I would suggest doing some cosmetic formulation classes so you know the basics, even if you contract out to a formulator.

You should be aiming to manufacture to good manufacturing practice (gmp) standards - not immediately, but you should be aware of it and working towards it.

Good luck.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.