Please give me feedback on my mountaineering business website

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by K0608, Jul 12, 2021.

1. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    So what now @K0608?

Don't use the people who built the existing site, they have royally ripped you off. What you have got is a cheap and nasty theme and a couple of hours work to configure. The whole thing probably took them less than a day. If you paid more than a couple of hundred you were shafted.

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  2. K0608

K0608 Full Member
    Contributor

186 6
    Sorry for the lack of response, I've just been away on a climbing trip. This has been a very eye-opening post so far and it's pretty clear that what we currently have no longer (if it ever did) serve a purpose.

The other aspect of the business is the admin side of it. Currently, it's all very manual and time-consuming. I have had someone build a bespoke system within Sharepoint, which does automate some aspects of the business, but I suspect that if we were to build a new website, this bespoke system would quickly either become redundant or require a lot of updating.

I'm a little bit overwhelmed with what the net steps are, particularly, as we're in the thick of a busy season (I'm not guiding this year, due to a nasty injury back in February), but it has given me a bit of breathing space.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 By: K0608 Member since: May 22, 2017
  3. K0608

K0608 Full Member
    Contributor

186 6
    I had a free website review carried out and here are some of the key points they suggested:

Website
    - Benefit statement - what sets you apart from the competition?
    - Call to Action, how do you want visitors to book. Include booking form within main above the fold section on the homepage and on each 'service' page or use 'Book Now' button which starts to dial your number.

SEO
    - Need to ensure you are strategically targeting the right keywords and phrases to bring in your qualified traffic. There has been a lot of lost organic traffic over the last 12 months.
    - Optimise Page Titles against keywords, you have 60 characters to do this
    - Meta description, 155 characters, all around USPs and benefits.
    - Increase Domain Authority, by targeting publications that will hit your target audience through content marketing and then use backlinks to send that target audience through to your site.

BUT I'm well aware that redoing the website, first, could be of higher importance.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 By: K0608 Member since: May 22, 2017
  4. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    You can ignore most of that report. Your whole business model is changing which means very little of your current website will exist very soon.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. K0608

K0608 Full Member
    Contributor

186 6
    I know that it's almost impossible to know the answer to my question, but I'd love to know why prospective clients might book with someone else over us and also how our competitors get traffic if they're not appearing as high on Google as we do. I appreciate word of mouth counts for a lot.

In my mind, here are some of the reasons why we're doing alright:
    1) Old domain, which seems to count for quite a bit when it comes to SEO
    2) Rank well for many keywords
    3) A lot of Trip Advisor, Google Business and Facebook Reviews
    4) Quick to reply to emails
    5) Large pool of guides (which I appreciate may put some people off), but it normally means that we're able to accommodate bookings
    6) We're able to offer work through the summer and winter, there are many businesses where the owner doesn't hold the winter qualification and so isn't in such a strong position. I've held the winter qualification since 2012 and have been operating at the top end since then. That all said, qualifications in the outdoors aren't essential and anyone can offer guiding services.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 By: K0608 Member since: May 22, 2017
  6. NickGrogan

NickGrogan Full Member
    Contributor

2,919 708
    Ask your customers.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Easy. Because it’s easier to find trips and make a booking on theirs than it is on yours.

You seem to be looking for reasons not to make any changes to the site. Despite everyone here telling you it not right. Bite the bullet and find someone to start over and do it properly.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. K0608

K0608 Full Member
    Contributor

186 6
    Not at all, I'm keen to do what's right for the business and if the website needs an overhaul, then that's fine. I need to now work out who I'm happy working with to make this happen, which in itself is a pretty big undertaking since there are a lot of people and companies all claiming to be experts.

Also, there's a huge rise in third-party 'booking agents', some of whom have quite aggressive marketing strategies and rely heavily on PPC ads, and slowly working their way up the organic searches.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 By: K0608 Member since: May 22, 2017
  9. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Talk to people. pick up the phone, ask the questions and listen to the answers. Doesn’t take long to see through the BS.

If their opening offer is to build a new theme cross them off the list. What you need is someone who understands how to structure a site. With the right structure the theme almost becomes irrelevant.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. shopomatix

shopomatix Full Member

34 3
    I liked it good job , you could use css to define the height of the text above read more buttons and stars for the reviews but it loaded super fast and looks very professional good job

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 By: shopomatix Member since: Jul 21, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    It’s been a month. Nothing seems to have changed. This is prime holiday season, you could have had a new site up and running in a couple of days and be taking in bookings….

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. K0608

K0608 Full Member
    Contributor

186 6
    Thanks, I'm up to my eyeballs in the day-to-day admin of the business and will be until the end of September. I've spoken to a couple of folk about potential options for moving things forwards but given we're in peak season, I'm not really in a position to do much at this moment in time.

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 By: K0608 Member since: May 22, 2017
  13. K0608

K0608 Full Member
    Contributor

186 6
    and we don't really have any more space for additional mountaineering work until the end of the season, as every guide that we have on our books is flat out. There's a bit more scope for walking trips, which is something that I am working on.

14. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Ok. But a developer could be busy setting up a new site now so that when the summer season is over you will have a new site ready for testing.

Anyway, it’s up to you what you do, just make sure you avoid using anyone who suggests a site redesign. It’s not the design that’s the problem.

15. K0608

K0608 Full Member
    Contributor

186 6
    Thanks, what do you mean when you say that it's not the design that's the problem, but also talk about having a whole new site developed.

16. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    It’s a Wordpress site. This means your content, navigation, widgets, call to action, trust marks and the whole customer journey are independent of the theme. You can build a whole new site using the same theme and then try new themes later.

Think of Wordpress being your house, all your furniture the content and the theme the decoration. You can redecorate your house without changing the furniture. And you can buy new furniture without redecorating.

Get the site structure and content sorted first then play with themes.