Planning a corporate event

Discussion in 'Events' started by RichardDee, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardDee

RichardDee UKBF Newcomer

54 6
    I am going to be holding an event on behalf of my company's charity (BHF) and wondered whether anyone has any experience of arranging big events? It will be the first one I've done and I don't really know where to start.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: RichardDee Member since: Oct 4, 2013
  2. Donna77

Donna77 UKBF Contributor

69 11
    Hi,
    I work for an event company. What type of venue are you using? Sometimes a venue will have an event planner on staff at no extra cost. He/she can guide you through dull things such as risk assessment forms, notifications to the local council and submission of technical drawings (if required).
    Many events these days are designed with social media in mind: giving guests a unique 'experience', perhaps an unusual video or photo opportunity which they'll want to upload to their Facebook page or YouTube. It helps spread the word and for a charity event can be extra rewarding.
    If you let me know what type of event and venue you're planning I'll try to give some tailored advice.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  3. MyEventBucket

MyEventBucket UKBF Newcomer

35 3
    I own an event company and I have a lot of experience in doing large scale corporate events.

Your first point of call is to establish what the event is about it what the intentions of the event are. If it's an XMAs party or some sort of staff 'do' then you can skip this part. But if it's a PR launch party or a conference or a team building event, then you need to be clear of this and what message you are trying to put forward.

Secondly, find out what people want from the event and get your budget aligned.

I'll give you an example.

You want to do a launch party for a new product that includes champagne and canapes on arrival. How can you present your product in a way that will get media interest and purchase? You might want to look into experiential marketing events - ways of creating an experience with a product. Things like samples and interactive experiences will help. I'd suggest getting the venue to do catering too as this tends to be cheaper than going for a dry hire and sourcing everything in. Ideally find a place with AV. You want to minimise your costs and get a packaged deal under one roof so that you can free up your budget for the cool stuff such as freebies. And work out what journalists you need in the building and give them an invitation and use free food and drink as a USP. Create a database first so you can just fire out the invitations.

Posted: Feb 1, 2014 By: MyEventBucket Member since: Jan 29, 2014
  4. RichardDee

RichardDee UKBF Newcomer

54 6
    Hi Donna77 and MyEventBucket. Thank you for your replies - really helpful stuff there! My event is purely for fundraising purposes, but it will also be a celebration of all the fundraising that various members of staff have done in 2013. Obviously for that we need a technical team in to set up video and sound, as well as lights. There won't be awards, but more recognition in the form of video clips, photomontages and maybe a couple of speeches. I'd really like to do a Murder Mystery theme, with clues and such being posted on social media throughout the night. Guests would ideally be able to donate via social media and I want to use hashtags to have a live stream of comments and possibly photos on a screen. I've spoken to a few potential venues over the weekend - I think it'd be brilliant to have it on an old building, for atmosphere. Do you think this sounds do-able and can you think of any holes in my plans? As I said I've never done this before, so it's all just my imagination at the moment!

Thanks again for your help.

Posted: Feb 3, 2014 By: RichardDee Member since: Oct 4, 2013
  5. MyEventBucket

35 3
    There's no holes in your plan. The most tricky part would be organising the murder mystery! The rest of easy. Every-time you go to a venue, get into the habit of asking the following:

1. Do you have AV equipment in the building?
    2. Does it have sound and lights?
    3. How many seated can you cater for and can you supply those chairs?
    4. Can you supply catering?

What you don't want is a venue that is beautiful, expensive yet expects you to source in everything. It will be more work on your behalf. However, that kind of setup is crucial for Jewish events that bring their own catering in... Hence why the option is there.

But you want somewhere that requires as least outsourcing as possible for a good price.

Then ask them:

Do you charge a dry hire fee or is it a minimum bar spend? My suggestion to you would be to do this on a Monday night as you will get cheaper rates and you may be able to get all of the above for free with no deposit...

George

Posted: Feb 3, 2014 By: MyEventBucket Member since: Jan 29, 2014
  6. MyEventBucket

35 3
    P.S. Where are you based Richard and where are you planning on doing the event?

George

Posted: Feb 3, 2014 By: MyEventBucket Member since: Jan 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.