Employment & HR Brought to you by Jaluch (DocsWizard)

Pitching for a Payrise...employment rights.

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by AnEmployee22, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,240 1,877
    If you tell them that you are just doing your job, they will probably say that's what I am paying you to do

If on the other hand you explain how well you are doing the job, the improvements if any you have made that helps the company, or that you feel you are ready to take on more responsibility or take on more work, then you may convince them to give you more dosh

If you never ask you will never get anything

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  2. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

760 164
    Any decent business owner/manager won’t be oiling that squeaky wheel. They’ll be replacing it with a shiny new wheel that works as it should as doesn’t keep needing attention.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  3. AnEmployee22

AnEmployee22 UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    Thank you all. Constructive stuff, and I have started to put together an economic case.

The monitoring continues apace though... To the extent that manager said 'X is your top priority today'. Spreadsheet clearly being watched in real time...there are people who would respond quite nastily to these levels but not me.

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: AnEmployee22 Member since: Feb 17, 2018
  4. Toby Willows

760 164
    Why would anyone respond “nastily” for their work being monitored? Very odd remark indeed, all employers monitor their employees work, just look at your next Amazon delivery tracking to see how employees are monitored these days.

Do you not like working for the hours you are paid?

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,454 777
    Pretty much every job you ever have you will be monitored. How else is your boss going to know you are doing the work and (at some point) do annual or promotion evaluations if they don't monitor you?
    In this instance you are aware of it.
    You WILL have been monitored since you started, just some ways you won't necessarily be aware of.

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. AnEmployee22

31 0
    Well, I have had a bit more time to think over my last post.

@Toby Willows assuming that your name is in fact this... No objection at all on one level. However if you think it's okay as part of a pattern of singling out or similar, then either you are related to all or went to the same seminars on workers rights, as our MD.:)

@Mr D I agree. Not if it's just me who's work the manager is monitoring in real time though...that isn't great.

Promotion evaluations, appraisals or similar, pay reviews... At my employer?? Never!

Head of HR of a company of 200 seems to be a guy in his early 20s, from a background of being a chef!

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: AnEmployee22 Member since: Feb 17, 2018
  7. Toby Willows

760 164
    @AnEmployee22, assuming your name is in fact this. Please explain what the problem is with your work being monitored because I truly don’t understand. Employees will have their work monitored to various degrees due to a number of factors eg new employee will be monitored far more than a long serving one with a proven history. If you are under performing you will be closely monitored to find out why and what retraining is required. If you are out performing your colleagues you’ll be monitored to see where your strengths are with a view to a appropriate promotion.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  8. AnEmployee22

31 0
    Hi Toby- thanks for the measured response. More so than mine, unfortunately from my perspective! Ha, your name is probably more likely to be real than mine...

For me, the problem with the monitoring, isn't so much the monitoring as the context...

• Nearly 2 years when it started, don't think that's so new. Given we have quite a churn, doubly so...
    • I'm not convinced I'm under-performing, but if I am I'd prefer to know about it sooner rather than later so I can work on improving my performance! Instead of some persistent pointless, annoying spreadsheet watching- this guy is a director FFS, has he nothing significantly more important to be getting on with?? :mad:
    • Out-performing...it's a very difficult thing to quantify, my role is the only one of its kind in the company- so how do you quantify? I work very hard, but I don't see it as directly comparable. Promotion? Nah, don't see it, not for me. Besides which, as a company- see my post again- we don't really do things conventionally. Which is good- but bad too!
    Ultimately, I need to look for other work I think, what really bugs me on this is unless he is monitoring others in our broader dept, then it's singling me out for whatever reason. Combine that with no feedback or it is very seldom that I receive feedback, and it is little wonder that I have a problem with some of these methods of micro-management.

I genuinely believe someone there might be trying to make me quit, to force me to resign. Which is why I get a bit prickly sometimes about monitoring and subsequent defences of it...because monitoring of me like this, feels like part of a pattern. (Not the defences or reasons on here, but the monitoring by my employer, obviously).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: AnEmployee22 Member since: Feb 17, 2018