PeoplerPerHour hold money for upto 14 days

hi

According to Peopler Per Hour, they will now hold freelancers earnt money for up to 14 days

See here: https://www.peopleperhour.com/discover/news/freelancer-payments-process/

I know this is their terms and conditions, but is this actually legal, can a third party hold money paid against an invoice!

They take their percentage immediately!! Which is a little irritatting to save the least!!!

Ozzy

Founder of UKBF
UKBF Staff
  • Business Listing
    I am not familiar with PPH specifically, but I am with similar intermediatory services and holding funds for a period of time is normal. It's usually to ensure the transaction is completed to each parties satisfaction, and also ensure no chargebacks and similar before they release the finds to the provider.
    They also probably earn a bit of interest on the funds for a few days too; but the business case is security of funds.

Upvote 0

IanSuth

Free Member
    Apr 1, 2021
    If you were a temp then the agency has to pay you no matter what whether they are even paid or not, as a true freelancer it is a business relationship and your decision whether to enter the contract, I can see why they would need to ensure that in all circumstances the funds are truly their in there bank with no chance of clawback before passing them on to you, although 14 days is quite long

Upvote 0

gpietersz

Legacy Full Member
  • Sep 10, 2019
    Leamington Spa
    pietersz.net
    They reduce it if you earn more.

The problem with these sort of market places is that you are very much at their mercy. You need to investment time in building a profile, but they can change the rules as they see fit.

On top of that there are a lot of very cheap suppliers there and it is a race to the bottom on pricing.

I think PPH and the like have a use for offshore freelancers in low cost countries, as fill in work, or the occasional good client. Direct clients are better: more likely to pay decently, more likely to pay for quality, more likely to become long term clients, no charges, you negotiate terms.....

I really think there is a lot of value in building long term relationships. Most of my work comes from clients I have know for at least two years, some much longer, and most of the rest from people I hope will long term clients.

Upvote 0

gpietersz

Legacy Full Member
  • Sep 10, 2019
    Leamington Spa
    pietersz.net
    I am not familiar with PPH specifically, but I am with similar intermediatory services and holding funds for a period of time is normal. It's usually to ensure the transaction is completed to each parties satisfaction, and also ensure no chargebacks and similar before they release the finds to the provider.

I do not think this is the case with PPH. The buyer usually pays them funds which they hold before work starts. They then only release the funds to the seller when the buyer agrees to do so.

Upvote 0
    @gpietersz - Yep this is PPH... they make it 14 days until the money is cleared to be withdrawn.

if I turned over more on PPH then they would release the money sooner!!

they are just 'robbers' keeping the money for their own gain for longer.

@japancool - that is why my turn over is soo low, I don't offer cheap shite, or compete with countries with lower earning requirements.

But what I do end up doing alot is repairing the shite that was delivered!!

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    @wood1e2 they aren’t robbers. They are just following the T&C you agreed to when you signed up.

Upvote 0
    @japancool - Why should I? They never imposed this so called 'security measure' until earlier this year.

They have imposed it because they can earn more money by keeping my earnt money. It may not be illegal, but it is just immoral.

@fisicx - No I didn't they changed their T&C earlier this year. This is not what I signed up for.

As I said I hardly use it, as the fees have alway equally high as the project values have been low.

But hey ho... never mind... :)

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    And they sent everyone an email telling you the terms had been updated. If you chose not to read them that’s hardly the fault of PPH.

The reason for holding the money is to make dispute management easier.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
    Feb 12, 2017
    Stirling
    Having tried working on Upwork, these sites devalue your skills. You're competing with someone in India who can afford to charge below minimum wage. Is that really how much you value your own skills?

If you are good enough you can charge a higher price and people will pay it.
    As a professional if I agreed to a job it was far higher than minimum wage. Lots of people willing to do the work for minimum wage. The jobs that would choose those people us professionals weren't interested in taking anyway.

Skills can count.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
    ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu