People who pester me with cold calls

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by bdw, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    I have just had a call from someone who asked to speak to the "sales director". I asked him who he was and what was his business. He said, "blah blah" so I said I wasn't interested in "blah blah" and hung up.

He immediately called me back, quite irate and asked me why I "hung up" on him. I explained that firstly we did not have a sales director and that I was not interetsed in what he was offering. He asked how I could know this without listening to what he had to say.

I told him that I was not interested any services at the moment and that he was interrupting me. He then huing up on me. What are these ignoramus cold callers made of? Am I not entitled to refuse to listen to someone in these circumstances if I so choose? :mad::mad::mad:

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  2. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,858 2,621
    This subject has been done to death here a few times.

This was clearly a desperate amateur, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Easy when you are with Voipfone, you say "Just putting you through" and transfer them to extension 166.

Every so often cjd posts here with how many calls to voipfone subscribers have ended up there.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  3. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    He should be done to death.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  4. craiga1971

craiga1971 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

339 49
    I sometimes do a cold call to a business who I am thinking of putting some work there way to gauge their general level of helpfulness, attitude, flexibility, etc..

A company should proide a good level of service at all times and not just ramp it up for the sales process.

Craig

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: craiga1971 Member since: Jan 7, 2010
  5. Heart Communications

Heart Communications UKBF Newcomer Free Member

185 32
    Clients of our telephone answering service benefit from less distractions and cold calls being filtered out free of charge ;)

Amy

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: Heart Communications Member since: Oct 21, 2008
  6. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    bdw, do you know that the amount of naturally produced serotonin decreases in males as they get older.
    Serotonin is known as the happy molecule because of the feelings of happy well being it brings.
    This decline could be called the Victor Meldrew syndrome but bloody bloody well isn't.
    :)

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  7. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    Are you on TPS?

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  8. sellickbhoy

sellickbhoy UKBF Ace Free Member

1,063 258
    did he actually say "blah blah?"

It annoys me that some people lack common courtesy - Ok, you didn't ask for the call, but could you not have simply said something like
    "excuse me, but this is not a convenient time, I can't talk now, please don't call me again - if I am looking for any services I will search them out myself"

then hang up?

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: sellickbhoy Member since: Jun 5, 2009
  9. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    Actually, I shouldn't have posted that as I can see that you are on TPS so they shouldn't be calling you.

Hope you are really horrible to them and their managers. Did you get the number they were calling from? Are you going to report them?

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  10. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    Hah, I thought this was some revelation about Matthew :D

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  11. spreadsheetsdirect

spreadsheetsdirect UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

503 66
    Turn the tables on them and try and sell your services to them.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: spreadsheetsdirect Member since: Jun 29, 2007
  12. Apple

Apple UKBF Newcomer Free Member

49 1
    i am wondering ,If I call from China to make some promotion .What should I do ? I mean I dont push to sell .What can I talk if I dont know anybody in that company ?
    Would love to have your tips .

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: Apple Member since: Apr 22, 2006
  13. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Do not do it. There's a tip. Haven't you been reading this thread?

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  14. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    I didn't report them to the TPS because that just takes up more of my time and it doesn't not really help in my experience.

15. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    Yep cold calls are annoying but many other forms of marketing are too. For example advertising no win no fee lawyers and "debt busting" loans on kids TV channels, annoying pop up survey's on web sites. Take it a stage further, supermarkets putting sweets and chocolate's by the checkout so kids can blackmail their parents. The list goes on. Thats capitalism, if you don't like it go find an alternative.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  16. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,671 1,624
    That's not quite the same though. You can switch a TV off, or use a non-commercial channel. Or a channel can open and encourage viewers with "ethical" advertising. Supermarkets have bowed under pressure and many offer sweet-free checkouts.

How are you supposed to operate without a phone?

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  17. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    You can't please everyone all the time, I have brought in millions of pounds worth of business for my clients over the last 10 years just by picking up the phone. Only very rarely have I had someone be nasty to me., so for me telemarketing works. A lot of people have no option when starting their business other than to cold call, it's inexpensive and gives a good return on investment.

I'm greatful when someone tells me they are not interested, at least it's a direct quick answer. Something it's pretty much impossible to get from any other form of marketing.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  18. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    It has nothing at all to do with capitalism. It's all about telemarketers who do not care who they are pestering and ignore the fact that I have signed up to the TPS.
    • I dont watch kids TV channels (my choice).
    • I have a pop up stopper and I choose to visit websites (my choice)
    • I don't have to buy sweets at the supermarket till and I donl;t even notice them (my choice).
    I signed up to the TPS (my choice) and I still get calls from you guys. I have notices on my website contact details page telling people I don't want them to call me but they still do it.

This is intrusive and there should be much stiffer penalties for it. Telemarketing interrupts me and wastes my time. Personally I would make it illegal or put it under much tighter controls and I suspect the most of the general public and business community would agree with me.

19. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    I have just made the warning on my website a little stronger. Let's see if this makes any difference. ;)

20. los_design

los_design UKBF Newcomer Free Member

378 70
    bdw

Your telephone number, is it the same for your residential?

The reason I ask, TPS is great for residential BUT NOT for business (as with the MPS) you will not get very far mate by reporting them, I have tried...All they have to do is mention your business name.

They can call/mail if you or anyone at the address has dealt with, enquired about or dealt with any party they are associated with (on mail db's etc).

It is blimming annoying, but as stated above, dealt with in the right way, they will soon bog off.

But as a sub note, do remember, without sales, we have no business...which came first the marketing or the sale ;-)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: los_design Member since: Jun 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.