PC Reset problem

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Joe E, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    The last 24 hrs have been a nightmare, my pc suddenly decided last night to reset itself when it came back up it was as it was when I bought it everything was gone apart from all C:drive files, but 5 years of saved emails, Outlook notes, all my music and strangly my ISP was deleted thankfully I'd saved/backed up everything apart from emails (inc Business) which is kind of important esp 5 years worth.
    Strangly though my ISP connection vanished as well, I contacted them they say I'm still connected but I can't find a thing on my PC (could be looking in the wrong place tho) am writing this from a freebie Tiscali one I got with the PC when I bought it and never used.
    Anyway firstly my Zone Alarm virus checker picked up a virus; worm type it looks like, as I can't get my isp to work does that mean its taken over the PC and secondly is there any thing I can do about it and retrieving my files?
    One other thing it created a new user file in my name again and put 000 at the end of the name it says it over 2000 files init but when you click it only shows a couple, very very frustrated and confused :mad::|:(

Thanks

Chris

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  2. CrispyUK

CrispyUK UKBF Regular

150 32
    I've seen this before - if Windows has problems accessing the original profile folders for any reason it will generate a new one with the 000 ending on the folder. As the new profile is created from a default configuration it will look rather like your PC has returned to factory settings.

Can you still see/access your original profile folder through My Computer? C:\Documents and Settings - for XP or C:\Users - for Vista.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 By: CrispyUK Member since: Jul 3, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Can you still see/access your original profile folder through My Computer? C:\Documents and Settings - for XP or C:\Users - for Vista.[/quote]

Yes I can and that has everything but emails and outlook notes, so if you say its restored to factory settings does it mean the worm has done its job and just gone and I can safely (with anti-virus of course carry on) or what.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  4. Comspec

Comspec Verified Business ✔️

7,118 1,483
    I'm assuming that this Pc is running windows XP, going by the 5 year lifespan you have mentioned.

Personally, I'd recommend getting it down to your local repair shop asap, as they'll be able to get most if not all of your data back with reasonable ease.

The more you work with it, and do work on it, the less chance of 100% retreival you will have tbh.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. CrispyUK

CrispyUK UKBF Regular

150 32
    Comspec's advice is sensible - something will have trigged this and whether it's a bit of file corruption or virus activity the system ought to be considered 'at risk'.

If you want to put your mind at ease about e-mails and notes from Outlook, they're stored in a Personal Folders file with a PST extension. The default location for this on XP is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

The file is usually called Outlook.pst

Local Settings by default is a hidden folder and won't show unless you have XP set to display hidden files/folders. You could copy & paste the above folder path (remember to edit <username> to the correct value) into the address/location bar to quickly check whether your PST file is still there.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 By: CrispyUK Member since: Jul 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.