Paypal/Nochex or proper online payment processor?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by nuttytart, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuttytart

nuttytart UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Hi

Me again....right, currently we only have the facility to pay online via Paypal. I've seen a few of the threads here where the 'image' of Paypal has been discussed and just wondered what the general concensus of opinion was, and whether we should consider offering something like Worldpay instead?

How many people would be put off by having to register with Paypal before making a payment (this makes our '3' click order process a lot longer!)? I know we could use Nochex instead, or as well, and as we haven't got a lorra lorra money at the moment, would this be an acceptable option rather than going down the route of paying mechant fees et al???

Posted: Oct 15, 2004 By: nuttytart Member since: Oct 12, 2004
  2. Toon

Toon UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

867 10
    A lot of people will be put off if you can't pay by Credit Card directly. On my site I offer all my customers the choice to pay by Credit Card, Paypal and Nochex. Out of my last 30 orders placed on the site I have had 1 Nochex payment, 2 Paypal and 27 Credit Cards. That should put into perspective exactly what customers prefer.

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 By: Toon Member since: Jul 17, 2004
  3. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend Free Member

5,382 598

I suppose it all depends what market you're in...99% of my clients pay via PayPal.

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  4. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,505 598
    We used WorldPay from the start and they have been great. Recent problems are annoying, but then PayPal shot themselves in the foot recently also so it's swings and roundabouts.

I'd say about 10% pay with PayPal, 2-5% pay by cheque and the rest go with the Credit cards through WorldPay, including any phone orders.

You must be able to take credit cards online. You might as well go straight for WorldPay or similar - there are a lot of advantages over PayPal - for instance I think you cannot have an alternaive delivery address through PayPal (although I stand to be corrected), which of course would be useless for you.

My top tip with WorldPay is to set up, run it for a while, and then renegotiate your rates and settlement period once you have established that you are an honest retailer with few chargebacks ect.

PS you don't have to register to use paypal any more.

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  5. nuttytart

15 0
    Hmmmm...confusing!

Eagle - what other sorts of payment options do you offer? Are they choosing Paypal over credit card option?

Sillyjokes - you can opt to have a diff delivery address with paypal.... didn't know you don't have to register with them now - had a customer yesterday who phoned up saying she registered, had the email to verify her email address, and tried to action this but had probs. This is where customers are put off I feel, it's o.k if they already have an account setup with Paypal, but if they have to do this as part of the order process, they get put off.

My thinking is that when paying via worldpay etc, all you have to do is enter you card details and bingo! No messing. Anyone use anything else? I heard that worldpay were the most expensive, although get your drift sillyjokes re negotiating once been trading with them for a while.

We particularly need something that offers a virtual terminal facility....

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 By: nuttytart Member since: Oct 12, 2004
  6. Eagle

5,382 598
    It's probably just the nature of my business but most do prefer PayPal and already have accounts. Remember that you can set PayPal to use a credit card as a back up funding source. I'd strongly recommend though that you yourself get Worldpay or similar as I'd guess that most of your clients would be 'casual' browsers; with few being business owners already savvy to internet payment schemes. :)

SillyJokes: Could you tell me where it is that says "you don't have to register to use paypal"... thanks! :)

Mark

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  7. Toon

Toon UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

867 10
    I think there may be some confusion between Paypal and Nochex. You don't have to register with Nohex but Paypal have never informed me of that kind of change.

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 By: Toon Member since: Jul 17, 2004
  8. JQL

JQL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

86 0
    I think a lot depends on the quantity of transactions you expect to handle.

If you only expect to handle a few transaction per day and they are for less than £99 and they are from people with UK addresses then NOCHEX is probably your best bet for the following reasons:
    • No charge backs - thats right
    • They are cheaper than WorldPay and PayPal
    • No need for your customer to Register (as with PayPal).
    If you expect to handle quite a lot of transactions a day and/or your customers are multi-national then use WorldPay.

PayPal is only suitable if you can't get a WorldPay account (or find it too expensive) and you need single transactions over £99 and/or your customers are multinational or you expect to deal with people who are likely to have a PayPal account.

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 By: JQL Member since: Jun 7, 2003
  9. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,505 598
    What I mean by not registering with paypal is that you can pay immediately without having to previously register. In the past it took quite a while and a lot of hassle to set up with paypal before you could actually order anything.

Now it doesn't.

How do you get an alternative delivery address with it?

Posted: Oct 17, 2004 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  10. Eagle

5,382 598

Ah, I see now - but you'd have to invoice the client, right? :)

Posted: Oct 17, 2004 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

0 0
    Hi all,
    I did hear a while back that America based sites can take orders by PayPal without creating an account i.e. one off payments! If I heard correctly then I would imagine at some point European sites would be able to do this as well.

As for which payment service I think it depends on what turnover your expecting. If you think your site is going to do a lot of business then I would have as many options as possible. If you expect to sell just a few items per month then PayPal and Nochex are probably the better choice.

In my experience everybody expects to get loads of orders but in reality it takes most online shops years to become established. The shop OX1 is associated with uses Secpay because they’re pretty cheap and most shopping scripts have a payment module for them. And just for the record we also have options to pay by PayPal, Fax, Telephone and cheque (UK only of course).

Posted: Oct 18, 2004 By: Anonymous Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  12. nuttytart

15 0
    Without going through a payment to check, I was sure that during the payment process with paypal, at some point it asks for a 'delivery address' as well as the confirmed postal address for the customer?

Thanks v much for all the feedback - we are already sending orders out so I think it will be worthwhile looking at something more streamlined.... only problem now is that our shopping cart doesn't support many payment processors (only the most basic one) so we are having to upgrade so that we are able to look at the full spectrum.

Posted: Oct 18, 2004 By: nuttytart Member since: Oct 12, 2004
  13. owen@westwindmoves

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    You don't have to have a Paypal account to pay using a Paypal gateway and haven't done for some time.

Posted: Oct 26, 2004 By: [email protected] Member since: Oct 17, 2004
  14. Eagle

5,382 598
    Hi

Any links to that info? :) Not heard of that.

Posted: Oct 26, 2004 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  15. owen@westwindmoves

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    Do you take Paypal integrated on your website (i.e. have a Paypal payment gateway)

If somebody goes to pay then they'll be asked for their credit/debit card details like with any other processor. Alternatively, they could also login as a Paypal account holder.

If they don't have a Paypal account then they pay and one is automatically created. Paypal sends these account details AFTER they have paid.

Posted: Oct 27, 2004 By: [email protected] Member since: Oct 17, 2004
  16. Eagle

5,382 598

:shock: Now, why didn't I think of that?....

Thanks! :D

Posted: Oct 27, 2004 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.