PayPal Limitation; any idea on how to lift permanent limitations?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Kevin McCabe, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Kevin McCabe

Kevin McCabe UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 0
    Hi. This is an absolute horror story. Our company account is in copywriting and proofreading industry targeting postgraduate students. Our PayPal account recently has been limited as part of PayPal crack down plan on essay writing services, something they call it "essay mills". Our account has been suspended without any notice giving the fact with had almost no refund, charge-back or dispute. And we didn't have any payment processor for a week which resulted some serious loss as it was in the middle of high season.

They have held our fund, that's shocking that they could seize all your fund suddenly. And we have been told they are going to hold it for 180 days for "further investigation". We called them on several occasions and informed them that we only do academic help. We even don't have any tangible product or inventory as we are a service company.

However, they said they have suspended us for violating their terms. We asked them to provide details on exactly what terms have been violated and they didn't provide any information. If it was a bank in the UK or US doing this, they would have been in serious trouble.

They asked us to provide the source of our payment and we provided our website for them. They also asked us to provide them more details of the products we have been selling. And we did provided them some of our project. Since then, we only have been receiving auto reply emails like "your account is suspended and this decision is final".

I am wondering on how you could help in such a situation. That has put us on an enormous situation as we need to pay our staff and really have no fund. I had to fire a few member of our terms simply because I have no access to my own money for six months. This is so unfair.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,902 1,626
    Ouch.
    Firing is not necessarily the right way to resolve things.

If cannot pay bills then need to get professional advice - if a limited company then speak to an insolvency practitioner.

If you do some research its not the only time paypal have suspended accounts for months on end.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Kevin McCabe

30 0
    What would you be doing if you couldn't pay your contractors? This is on PayPal's shoulder

4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,066 3,121
    I can understand that a service offering proof-reading for postgraduate students is perfectly valid. What copywriting do you offer them?

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. Mr D

14,902 1,626
    In my case become insolvent. And no one gets paid in that situation.

Paypals shoulder or your shoulder, makes little difference to creditors. What if you get money in 6 months? What if you don't get money in 6 months?

6. Kevin McCabe

30 0
    I think they have no right to keep the money. So they should pay it back in 6 months. But this is a long period of time and could make a small business like us bankrupt.

7. Mr D

14,902 1,626
    Should does not mean will.
    Your business going bankrupt should not affect their decision making process, its irrelevant. They do not tell you how to run your business and you don't tell them how to run theirs.

8. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,631 3,350
    And their T&C do not allow that.

I have worked (a long time ago!) as a lecturer in media economics for a while and I gave out tasks, including of course essays. If I had suspected that any task or essay was not the result of 100% that student's work, labour and research, but was the result of plagiarism or 'help' from a third party, that work was then invalid and had to be redone. If a student persisted in doing that, they could face suspension.

In your video (headed 'Essay Writing Service') you mention an essay on geometry - that hardly sounds like a pitch for post-grad work to me - more like school or graduate level!

The short answer is that the service you provided is regarded by most as being socially unacceptable and even in some cases even as aiding and abetting a fraud. You may not see it that way, but them's the apples in the bowl!

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,865 668
    ....and one look at your website front page confirms that an essay mill is exactly what you are. A bane on the life of gullible (and dishonest) students and the teachers/educational institutions.

Any student who uses your service is cheating, pure and simple. I am glad to see that Paypal are clamping down on people like you.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  10. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

836 209
    Have to say having looked at your website I agree 100% with obscures post above, hopefully PayPal will close you down for good, it is people like yourself encouraging students to be lazy.

As a father of a hard working student daughter who hates hard work, I can at least take pride in the fact she works hard to gain a true degree, companies like yourself ruin education values over time.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  11. Kevin McCabe

30 0
    With all the respect copywriting is a civil matter not a criminal matter. It is illegal if you go to a gas station and not pay. But copywriting services stays on the side. They are completely legal in the UK. I tried to shared a few links in this regards, but the forum doesn't allow me as I am not an established user yet.

12. Kevin McCabe

30 0
    And let's imagine essay writing companies are morally unacceptable. What does give PayPal the authority to hold $50,000 of our fund? Is that morally acceptable?

13. Mr D

14,902 1,626
    Forget morally acceptable, you agreed their terms and conditions. Legally.
    And them holding so much is a process issue at your end, not theirs.

14. Kevin McCabe

30 0
    Thanks for your advice.

15. The Byre

8,631 3,350
    I absolutely agree with every point you make in that post - but that does not help one jot!

PayPal does not allow the use of their services for certain goods and services, although those goods and services may be completely and utterly legal. Gambling is legal - but they don't allow that either. Crossbows are deadly but legal, selling live animals is legal, in many places selling guns and ammunition is legal and in some jurisdictions even selling counterfeit goods is legal - but PayPal will withhold money for all those things if they find out!

16. Kevin McCabe

30 0
    Couldn't agree more. Let's say their platform doesn't accept my business. Fair deal. They can ask me to leave the platform. But they should return my money. I have seen banks closed a friends of mine's account. All they did they gave him a 90 days notice and asked him to clear up his funds. But they never took his money.

17. The Byre

8,631 3,350
    Unfortunately, their T&Cs, which you agreed to together with all subsequent alterations to those T&Cs, gives them the right to withhold your money pending investigations.

They are under media and political pressure to 'stamp-out' services such as yours!

As most university courses today (N.B. most but not all!) are not worth a bucket of warm spit, I don't care if students or school children cheat. After all, they are just cheating to get a worthless degree and rack-up a huge amount of debt.

But it's still cheating!

18. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,357 8,923
    PayPal are not acting illegally. They are acting in accordance with the T&C to which you agreed.

PayPal didn’t need to notify you, but the news regarding essay writing services should have prompted you to withdraw the money and seek alternate payment methods just in case.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Regular Free Member

230 26
    I have to ask, why would you leave 50k sitting in a PayPal account? With all of the online fraud and scams going on, ours is emptied into our business bank account every day.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  20. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,066 3,121
    It is a criminal matter. Either incitement to commit fraud or assisting in attempted fraud. In any event it is morally disgusting. Paypal has withheld funds in your account because of money laundering regulations. More power to them.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012