Paypal Killing Your Business?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by designhull, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. designhull

designhull UKBF Newcomer

33 6
    Hello Guys,

I expect a few of you have had problems with taking payments via paypal for design services etc, and what you would call "intangible items".

If you have not had problems with your account "reviews carried out by paypal" "limitations on your account" "reversals/chargebacks" etc. You will certainly have some at one point, it's just a matter of time.

A general tip for fellow Web designers/Development companies like myself.

If your accepting paypal as a payment method for services, paypal do not like nor do they protect the seller on this non physical "intangible" goods.

So to stop implications do this;

1. Always know who your dealing with, ask the client if they have a verified payment account (this does help, unverified paypal accounts especially business ones are very unstable and of course a higher risk level to paypal, and you!)

2. When you have given the client a quote for their service, if they want to pay via paypal Invoice them, so they can pay it. Put down the service inside the description box, and the price, and how long it will roughly take.

3. The most important step, if it's design related services, or any programming services etc. Put the clients work on a CD-rom, it costs very little. Put the work, or any information/documents on the disk and then post it to the clients address, personal or business (but make sure it's the address they have on file on the payment transaction) you can get this information by clicking on the payment transaction.

4. Send the Disk/CD-rom as a recorded delivery with your choice of courier. On the payment transaction you will get the following;

[​IMG]

Go to add tracking info and add the tracking code that you was given from your courier. When you have done this, save the information and then simply click back on the drop down image again, and click mark item as sent!

Then you are done! It may cost slightly more with the cd-rom and delivery etc, but what is an extra 2-4 pound for the cd and delivery, when you could lose so much more? It protects you, your business, and also your client, and it looks professional on your part! Especially if your hosting your clients website etc, the client will then know if heaven forbid something went wrong with the web hosting or server, they know they have a backup and hard copy of what they paid for!

I hope this helped you, it certainly worked for me and my friends that I told.

Happy Trading!

Regards,
    Design Hull LTD
    Managing Director
    http://www.designhull.com

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Posted: Oct 21, 2010 By: designhull Member since: Oct 11, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. FM1000

FM1000 Contributor

160 18
    Thanks for that, its useful advice :)

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 By: FM1000 Member since: Sep 17, 2010
  3. Business1Solutions

Business1Solutions Contributor

412 62
    Great advice :)

But we don't use PayPal, and I don't think we will start using it either.

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 By: Business1Solutions Member since: Apr 10, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.