Payment processors?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Kerwin, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Kerwin

Kerwin UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 7
    I'm sure this question comes up a lot but I'm trying to decide which payment processor to use on my website. The website will be selling VPS instances so is a pretty standard website.

I'm leaning towards using PayPal because it is easy to set up and configure on my custom website but I was wondering if there were any reasons I shouldn't use PayPal? Alternatively, are there any other options out there that offer a fairly easy way to integrate on a custom website?

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,072 9,129
    Not sure what a VPS instance is but for anything to do with hosting I’d want to pay with a credit card.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. nexuser

nexuser UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 5
    There are few countries where Paypal is not available at all. Turkey, for example.
    For this reason, I suggest my customers to pay using credit card OR paypal.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 By: nexuser Member since: Aug 11, 2019
  4. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,054 272
    PayPal + Card is standard, really. Many people prefer PayPal. Many other people prefer card. I'm someone who prefers using card. If you only offer PayPal I'd use the guest checkout option but some people may not find this and it's no good for recurring payments.

I would recommend Stripe. Their API has unfortunately become a bit more complicated over the years, especially with the introduction of SCA / 3D Secure 2.0. However you could always use their hosted checkout, especially while getting your MPV up and running. Although it means taking payment off-site it has benefits of trust (Stripe brand awareness) and support for features such as Apple Pay and Google Pay (the latter coming soon). I've used Stripe for many years without a problem, including a 3 year run in your industry.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  5. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,890 288
    Not sure that Paypal support hosting, so if you do go with them, it maybe worth lining up an alternative.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  6. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,054 272
    They do !

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  7. Kerwin

Kerwin UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 7
    After doing quite a bit of research I am going to go with Stripe. The API is not as simple as PayPals but it seems to offer a lot more power and I think in the long run I'll be pleased I went with Stripe.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  8. fisicx

31,072 9,129
    Offer both. People like alternatives.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. nexuser

nexuser UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 5
    Could you tell, have you had any problems accepting payments from Asian countries? In particular, India and Vietnam

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 By: nexuser Member since: Aug 11, 2019
  10. WorkingFromHome35

WorkingFromHome35 UKBF Newcomer Full Member

26 3
    If there is an alternative chose it not Paypal. Their support is poor and they are very expensive. They freeze accounts all the time when balances or transactions go over certain limits and then you have to provide loads of information - the process is painful and slow.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 By: WorkingFromHome35 Member since: Aug 15, 2019
  11. fisicx

31,072 9,129
    Support is excellent. If you follow the rules your account doesn't get frozen. If limitations are applied you can get back in within minutes - it's dead simple. And unlike Stripe, I can accept funds and make in any currency all from my dashboard. Easy Peasy.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,584 614
    Yes PayPal might be easy to set up but starting out you are going to be paying 3.4% + 20p (or 2.9% + 30p depending on the service) for ever transaction (whether Debit or Credit card). Granted these can be lower depending on turnover but you have to apply for reduced rates and prove consistent monthly turnover above a certain level (i.e. £50K pm).

Worth having a good look around at all the options from a cost perspective at least.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009