General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Patents

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by -Chris-, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,157 1,068
    Yes.
    So what do you want to do about it?

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  2. -Chris-

-Chris- UKBF Regular Free Member

200 6
    I obviously won't know that, until I know what is possible.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: -Chris- Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  3. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    I mean do you want to stop anyone else using your company name? Or just prevent any other limited company in the UK using that name?

4. -Chris-

200 6
    Preferably, I would want to stop anyone, worldwide, from using that name. How do you do that?

5. StevensOnln1

StevensOnln1 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,306 714
    Register a trademark in every country (if that is even possible). It might be more sensible to start with a UK or EU trademark and then apply in other countries.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: StevensOnln1 Member since: Dec 10, 2011
  6. -Chris-

200 6
    So maybe register a company name here in the UK at Companies house, then register that same company name in other countries?

7. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    You realise that the US allows companies in different states to have the same name?
    You may find that you cannot register a particular name because someone else already has.

Trademark is perhaps the best route for you. Nike doesn't have to register their company name in hundreds of places to prevent other people using it and amazon haven't yet figured out a way to get a river name changed.
    What they do have is branding and trademarks.

8. -Chris-

200 6
    Thanks, no, I didn't realise that - hence the reason for posting on here.

As a sole trader, I guess the person can't register their business name? If so, then is the suggestion here to trademark it, so that no-one else can use that business name? Also, how about if you registered the business / company name as ltd, but in a dormant mode, would that stop anyone else from using it?

9. StevensOnln1

StevensOnln1 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,306 714
    Registering a limited company does not give you any form for trademark or brand protection. The only way to gain protection is by registering a trademark.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: StevensOnln1 Member since: Dec 10, 2011
  10. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,849 1,494
    Chris it sounds like before going any further you would be well to go and have a look at the IPO site and read up on trademark. What you need to trademark is the brand you want to develop NOT your limited company name which is pretty irrelevant in most cases.

Then go on the Companies House and .gov.uk to help you understand what's involved in setting up and managing a company.

You will want to trademark the name and the physical mark (log) ie Nike tick. Trademarking won't stop anyone else using the name, just using it in a particular class unless you are a global brand.

You will of course need to check the URL is available in your chosen name in its most common incarnations and buy these too.

Unless you are planning to have a global brand not sure why you need to register your brand globally.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  11. -Chris-

200 6
    Thanks Ethical, just to ensure I've got this right. There's not a lot of income at the moment, and will stay as a sole trader, but to stop anyone else from having the same company name, I could trade mark the name, for £200? (The website names have already been purchased). Is that about right? Are there yearly fees after the initial £200?

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: -Chris- Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  12. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    Are you also going to pay for legal fees to protect your trademark? And spend money to register it multiple places?

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. -Chris-

200 6
    Difficult to say without knowing the figures.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: -Chris- Member since: Oct 1, 2009