General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Paranoid about registering a company with my name

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by beckygolf, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckygolf

beckygolf UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 0
    5 years ago I registered a company in my name and had just started a venture after leaving uni. I was single at the time and got into a relationship with an ex. We broke up and a few months later I started seeing multiple posts about how my business was bad and a scam and I cant be trusted. At the same time I got a spike in new leads through my website, only for them to say they changed their mind as they just realised my business in not trustworthy. This caused my a lot of stress, needless to say everything I did collapsed and I closed by business.

I knew it was my ex playing a sick game. Not only spreading info on me and my company but also pretending to be an interested prospect. (I had seen him display vengeful acts on his own parents and two of his friends which was one of the key reasons why I split from him)

Now I am back again with another idea which has been going well but I have not registered a Ltd company thanks to ones name showing up on google. My surname is not a common Welsh surname so I am paranoid ex will google it and start the same thing all over again.

Any advice? Thanks

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: beckygolf Member since: Oct 7, 2009
  2. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,841 449
    Was this "company" a Ltd company or were you a sole trader?

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  3. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,931 2,486
    Just go to the limited company brokers and buy a off the shelf company with any name on it you could be "The welsh Butcher Ltd" or "XYZ123 Ltd"

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  4. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,224 1,801
    I don't know !
    Im starting to get the impression that any press is good press . I am watching companies with horrendous things being said about them and they are selling goods as if it was a vaccine for a illness that had no cure !
    Why not just continue as a sole trader and see how you build it up again .
    Five years in business is a long time . Maybe not to the members of this forum because they are very old and have no hair or teeth :)

Start getting some feedback off your new customers . I like Trustpilot as it appears to be difficult to post fake reviews also a facebook page twitter page ect

Engage with your genuine customers maybe get your details up on this forum. In fact my company is my name and people can talk to me They can even come and see me if they have nothing else in their lives :):)

I have always been open about everything here and yes I understand what you say when things go wrong it comes back to you . Always remember what they say online they would never say to you in the boxing ring , So that's OK !

Forget the past This is now and here we are !

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  5. beckygolf

19 0
    It was a Ltd company - and as you know all directors names appear on google search

6. beckygolf

19 0
    I have not been in business for 5 years. Sorry did not explain. I shut down my old company 3 years ago and just been working full time and starting this venture part time but its now time to take the next step.

No I don't think any press is not good press if you are starting. Also, its not just that, imagine you have someone set out to damage your business or frustrate you. Contacting you making false interest in what you have to offer. Basically a time waster, that's really a killer for a single person running a business. :(

I cant be a sole trader for much too long as it is a tech startup. Web tech startup is registered and the clients that have been expressing interest in what I do are pretty big hitters. I want to "look the biz" as people say:D

Guess worst case scenario change my surname. I am not taking any chances this time.

7. beckygolf

19 0
    Yes but I will still have to change the directors name to mine. And it will appear on google search.

8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,822 3,028
    So change your name.

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,329 854
    Even if you keep your name off your company registration, is it really possible to run a company anonymously? For example, if you want your business to have cachet you will need an About Us page on your web site. Are you going to hide who runs the company? Similarly, are you going to avoid listing yourself as a director of your company on LinkedIn, Facebook etc.?

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  10. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,464 1,053
    It might be easier to confront the issue head on. If your ex causes any more trouble threaten a court injunction and carry it through if he takes no notice.

I had this happen in the early years of my business. Rival salesmen were telling shopkeepers who were my customers that I had gone bust and that they had taken over my business. I very strong letter to their MD stopped that.

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  11. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,841 449
    Even large high tech companies want to know exactly who they are dealing with. If it is a single person company, I cannot see why that would be a problem, they will find out eventually if you form a long term business relationship with them. If you are a single person company pretending to be a bigger company with several employees, they might be less than impressed when they find out, especially if you struggle to meet deadlines etc.

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  12. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Ace Full Member

1,405 215
    I think Jeremy Hawke gave good advice. One can re-purpose notoriety. It's worse if no one is paying attention to you.

If The Pest resurfaces, put in it your blog. No names, just mention what's going on, in general. Then sit back and see how long it takes for White Knights to come to your defence. Trolls may also chime in, but the overall result could be publicity you simply can't buy.

If it escalates, inform the police.

Note: it may be a bumpy ride, but that's just life. I don't think you can run a business where everyone and everything is nice all the time.

Apply skin thickener, and proceed!

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,931 2,486
    Beccy
    This is the best advice, you need to sort the problem out if he continues the harassment otherwise you will be worried for years in the future

If he interferes report to police and talk to a solicitor, don't delay or accept anything just act on first attempt to slag you or the company

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.