Page resources couldn't be loaded in Search Console

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by UKSBD, Apr 18, 2019.

1. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,201 1,724
    I'm having problems with a site I look after.

It always seems to load fine for me and most people I ask to check it, speed tests say it is fine, Pingdom says it is fine, but in search console I sometimes get page resources errors.

Sometimes it says some images are not loading, which bad enough but other times the stylesheets aren't even loading which then flags it as not mobile friendly.

I sometimes have problems FTP'ing to the site, it sometimes disconnects if uploading numerous files.

On the same host I get email errors sporadically throughout the day, the symptoms point to the hosting sporadically dropping off, but I've never seen it.

The Google cache is fine (date is quite old though)

Anyone else have any ideas that could be causing the search console URL inspection tool to report the page resources errors?

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  2. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

376 76
    The Search Console is riddled with bugs and this is one of many errors I have experienced frequently. How Google managed to transform a functioning resources like webmaster tools into this mess is beyond me?

If you can determine there are no problems from an external source then I think you are safe to ignore these warnings?

However:

• Check the pages load OK from a clean browser that has none of the site assets in the cache.
    • And, check you are not preventing googlebot from accessing any such resources via robots.txt
    • Keep an eye out for any actual warnings or unexplained drop in traffic since there is always a possibility of some issue you have overlooked.
    The other issues you mention with your hosting obviously need looking into though, even though it's unlikely there is any connection.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  3. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,201 1,724
    I'm inclined to agree with you but I find it hard to believe Google would leave the tool up without any warnings if if was so unreliable.

If it's giving false negatives it's potentially creating hours of work for people looking for problems that don't exist

Surely if the tool was that bad Google would let us know?

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

376 76
    There are a few issues noted here (like the recent accidental de-indexing of 10% of the web)
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6211453?hl=en

Regrettably, search console is a free resource that's widely used and Google are relying on its users to debug something that's been rolled-out a year before it should have been.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019