Page Rank

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Silky, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silky

Silky UKBF Ace Full Member

1,170 210
    After a site redesign last year, our page rank dropped - especially on the CMS pages, powered by Wordpress.

The developer left behind a lot of sloppy mistakes which we've been tackling as we go along but any advice on increasing page rank in Wordpress would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Silky

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: Silky Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  2. nitro23456

nitro23456 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

831 253
    If you had a certain pagerank before the site changed, it is likely due to your internal linking structure which has changed the way the pagerank flows through your site.

Its also possible you lost some good inbound links by coincidence but I would think the above is more likely.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: nitro23456 Member since: Jul 7, 2009
  3. Silky

1,170 210
    The site previously was entirely HTML and is now around 10% HTML. Would that have made the difference? We're not as au fait with Wordpress as we could be and unfortunately the way the developer's structured it, some of the plug-ins are proving less than effective. We did slip down 2 places for our key term (from 2nd to 4th) when we launched the site, it's only recently we've noticed the page rank too.

Would that be coincidence or something to do with switching to Word Press? The content was actually very similar prior to and after the site redesign.

Thanks,
    Silky

4. Chunkford

Chunkford UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,414 472
    If your URLs have changed then you are going to lose PR unless you did 301 redirects correctly and passed the PR on to the new pages (albeit not all off it).

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: Chunkford Member since: Nov 24, 2008
  5. eventdomain

eventdomain Banned

2,880 339
    Wouldnt sweat over pagerank, I know many value it and it looks 'nice to have' but people should have more confidence in their sites/capabilities to dismiss green bars...

Better things more worthy of your time, me thinks..

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: eventdomain Member since: Apr 23, 2009
  6. mugatea

mugatea UKBF Regular Free Member

497 37
    Did your search results drop along with PR?

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  7. Silky

1,170 210
    Yes, and that's the issue to be honest. I'm not hung up over page rank per se but it seems to be one of the factors affecting our SEO. We reached number 2 for our best term last year, this fell off to number 4. Woorank etc rate our site well but we're struggling to climb back.

Am I right to make some kind of correlation between page rank and search engine rank?

8. JasonGomez

JasonGomez UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 3
    There is some correlation but it's not the most important.

The best way to increase page rank is links. Careful, don't just go out there to buy spammy links. You'd be penalized.

Google can tell when you are relevant if they find links to your site/blog.
    You could try writing articles, getting some presence in social media, maybe listing in a few well know directories.
    If you create an awesome blog, article, infographic, product or some incredibly useful content that might become viral then do it. That will give you natural links

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 By: JasonGomez Member since: Jun 13, 2012
  9. Ninja Commerce

Ninja Commerce UKBF Regular Full Member

257 104
    Hi Silky.

As has been mentioned above - increasing your overall page rank is generally a case of building your site's authority:

build more, high quality links
    build brand exposure (social media etc...)

Page rank also tends to improve over time (although I wouldn't rely on that alone).

Also, internal linking will help distribute page rank around your site.

Of course as you have noted, the real issue is rankings - but in reality the same tips still apply:

If you have certain pages that you want to rank, you should make sure your internal link structure lets google know that those are your most important pages.

And of course you should build deep links to those pages, as well as a few to the home page.

Avoid over-using optimized anchor text links though, since Penguin and all that.

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 By: Ninja Commerce Member since: Nov 4, 2011
  10. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,433 7,050
    get into google WMT you should have got 404 errors as the crawler tried to spider your site etc. find the ones that were reported and 301 them to new pages. this should pick up the pages that had links pointing to them and were helping drive page rank in.

Conduct a full link audit and find the domains that are pointing to pages that no longer exist, and 301 redirect those dead pages also.

This should then help you get the link love back and gain rankings.

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  11. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,026 1,476

Sorry, but I disagree completely on this.

Search results are impacted by the page rank of the site. It is not the sole factor, but is a significant factor.

There's a reason that we, and many others, choose to publish on high PR blogs. These sites make the greatest impacts to search rankings. I'd prefer 1 PR 5 link to 100 PR 1 (or more). High PR links (internal and external) have a huge impact.

Previous conventional wisdom was that PR had no impact on SERPs. Either that was untrue or has changed...

A few sources:
    - Vaughn
    - 3dcart
    - seomoz
    - profitaddiction study
    - webseoanalytics

There's thousands of others, including many naysayers out there. Personally, I find it much easier to rank sites with stronger pagerank than those weaker. I also find it much easier to get multiple results in the SERPs with a higher pagerank.

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  12. Chunkford

Chunkford UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,414 472
    Seriously, why did you have to open your mouth.

It's all down hill from now on :p

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 By: Chunkford Member since: Nov 24, 2008
  13. Thomasgrivera

Thomasgrivera UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    PageRank is a numeric value that represents how important a page is on the web. Google imagines that when one page links to another page, it is effectively casting a vote of the other page.

Posted: Jun 15, 2012 By: Thomasgrivera Member since: Jun 15, 2012
  14. MikeDonaghy

MikeDonaghy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 2
    There seems to be some confusion. Page rank does not refer to your position on Google's pages- it's named after Larry Page and refers only to the number of sites linking to yours. If you have done something horrendous to shock people on your site then they may not link to you any more, but I suspect you didn't actually mean Page Rank?

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 By: MikeDonaghy Member since: Oct 21, 2009
  15. mugatea

mugatea UKBF Regular Free Member

497 37
    Pagerank is important if you are getting links from a high PR site though, yeah?

Here's a question...is it better to get a link from a high PR non-related site or a low PR related site?

Jamie

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  16. MikeDonaghy

MikeDonaghy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 2
    That is indeed the question. I think it will be taken on a case by case basis. So if you have written a news article for your car hire site and it is linked from CNN or the BBC then that will carry a lot of juice as they are known to link to all kinds of content. But if it's linked from a non-industry high PR site (an irrelevant article directory) I'd prefer one from my industry...but the more the merrier!

Anyone had any experience/ success boosting page rank by submitting to article directories or RSS feeds?

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 By: MikeDonaghy Member since: Oct 21, 2009
  17. webgeek

4,026 1,476

I get great results from PR5+ unrelated.

I get jack from PR2 (and under related).

Of course related are preferred, but getting 500+ words on PR5+ dofollow sites is golden. For me, there is nothing that carries more link juice.

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  18. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,328 1,783
    Well i had a site that was pr4 and then pr1 the next update. So i guess your Pr5 might have been a pr5 at one point webgeek, but you have no way of knowing if it is now a pr2.

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  19. eventdomain

eventdomain Banned

2,880 339
    thats a good point Massey.. especially if the content isnt worthy eg: negative/non-information like on certain useless blogs which Google knows to be too self-promotional.

I doubt some brand new blog is regarded as important nor awarded status being so young.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    Posted: Jun 17, 2012 By: eventdomain Member since: Apr 23, 2009
  20. webgeek

4,026 1,476
    True nuff. PR does ebb and flow. Often the best we can do is a quick due diligence by looking at the backlink profile and then hope for the best.

I'd prefer publishing on what I see as a current PR5 with solid backlinks than something that isn't a PR5 and then hoping the PR goes up.

This isn't to say that lower PR sites don't offer good opportunities for inexpensively creating a diverse link profile.... but for me personally, high PR sites give the most love.

I'd appreciate anyone sharing other tactics that carry a lot of weight. We could all benefit from adding them to our linkbuilding arsenals.

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.