Packing 100s/1000s weekend orders?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Chrism82, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,487 645
    Yes packing single items first as a group works well, as does packing all same postage class at the same time...for example all UK large letters (or all EU orders, all no-EU orders etc) ...I find the biggest time sump is deciding the best carrier to use (tricky to automate due to size coming into play...and with multiple items in one order it get complicated real quick)

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,443 2,970
    My printer went on the blink in May so had to buy a new one. Different toner needed and it came with one.
    However buying a spare toner - I usually have one in stock waiting for current one to run out - took over a month to get.
    No online business that was open in May had any left. What with lots of people working from home and not using the office for supplies.
    Took over a month to get a replacement and was almost out of toner in the printer by that time.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Mr D

24,443 2,970
    We spend half the year packing some single item stuff into boxes, labelling them then storing at storage unit. When pressed for time we can pick up stuff that takes a couple of hours while collecting other stock. Using time when we are not busy to help when we have no time.

Come late November onwards we go through those single units quickly - rare to have any left by middle of December when orders start dropping off.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Naheed Mir

Naheed Mir UKBF Contributor Free Member

62 5
    I have hired some extra staff for these busiest days.

Posted: Sep 4, 2020 By: Naheed Mir Member since: Aug 10, 2020
  5. Pish_Pash

2,487 645
    Another time saver...make sure all your thermal printers have a peeler (dispenser)...ok, only saves a couple of seconds by not having to peel off the backing from a label, but a couple of seconds adds up when it comes to thousands of orders!

The other thing is of shipping outside the EU, have your software auto-print onto a Post Office CN22 customs form (i.e. if you use Royal Mail for your international shipments)...that said, if you're packing 1000s of orders, I'm sure you've likely got that in hand. I used to hand write those puppies...awful, but recently purchased a Thermal Transfer printer (Zebra GX430t) & it works a treat. printing beautifully onto Royal Mail CN22 for me (even the signature!)

Posted: Sep 6, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  6. Mr D

24,443 2,970
    Could never get my Zebra to print stuff. Tech support were useless, spent a fortune on the phone with them.
    Ended up taking the printer apart for parts to use in other items.

Posted: Sep 6, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Pish_Pash

2,487 645
    It needs a bit of perseverance (tech support? pah.)

There are two type of thermal printer...

1 Direct thermal (the labels themselves react to heat) - this is the most popular type e.g. GK420d

OR

2. Thermal transfer (load a special wax ribbon & it then prints onto normal labels)

to print onto a CN22...you need the latter (originally I was cloning my own CN22 in software & having it print onto a direct thermal printer...but it came out a bit blurry/low res ...option 2 is the way to go as you are then simply printing over an original high resolution CN22 labels as supplied by your local post office)

Either way, it's a mega time saver (& as the prospect of us now dropping out the customs union approaches...very essential)

Posted: Sep 6, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  8. Mr D

24,443 2,970
    I'm using maybe 2 a month currently. Call it 35 a year.

Next year of course its more like 900 a year - thats when a thermal printer is, I fear, needed.

Posted: Sep 6, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. FrontierMan

FrontierMan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 5
    Hire staff to work weekends, there is no such thing as weekends off anymore, since online selling is 24/7

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 9:48 AM By: FrontierMan Member since: Jan 15, 2011