Packetpost

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Rolo Tomasi, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. websnail

websnail UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

511 89
    The retail information is due out next week...

If they don't put the prices up and remove the bands on retail post in the same way then there's got to be some questions about whether this is Royal Mail or Robin Hood... except businesses like mine are anything but rich...

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 By: websnail Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  2. wlzls

wlzls UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 0
    my competitor Charge £6.99 (free p&p) on ebay for £4.00(cost price) 1KG packet out

they charge customer £2.69 (free p&p)on £1.2(cost price) 250g packet

...............i don't know how they can make the money

Posted: Mar 20, 2012 By: wlzls Member since: Mar 20, 2012
  3. paretowasright

paretowasright UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

671 98
    The new prices are now confirmed for 30th April implementation.
    As feared the small packets 0-750g has indeed gone to a flat rate of either £2.50 non VAT or between £2.19-£2.36 + VAT dependant on account type. We have been dumping all our small packet stock since early March as I cannot see punters paying £2.50 postage for an item below £10.

I also noticed a scary increase in Airmail small packets Europe...eg under 100g current price £1.47...30th April £2.70 VAT exempt OR £2.71 + VAT BUT 100-150g weight range.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: paretowasright Member since: Jan 2, 2009
  4. baboonfish

baboonfish UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Savage increases all round. I was desparately hoping the packets for standard mail would not have weight bands removed, but they have. Airmail has gone up by an amount that is scandalous, around £1 per item. In the end this will just hurt everyone - less businesses around to use their services and sooner or later a real competitor for their day-to-day services will emerge. I want to know how much of a backhander ofcom took to allow this

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: baboonfish Member since: Mar 11, 2012
  5. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Scary stuff. My service from Interlink is now looking much better than that from RM. Going to switch completely now except for the Scottish Highlands etc.

What a nuisance all this is!

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  6. paretowasright

671 98
    Deniser yes its a nightmare...I suspect RM will have done a risk analysis on lost business which is inevitable and factored that into their calculations.
    We are dumping all our small packet stock currently.

BTW I am really surprised at the lack of postings on this today I thought this was the e-commerce forum?....its either full of wannabees or people who don't use Royal Mail I guess...no doubt someone will chip in now and say they have been too busy with thousands of parcels to bother posting 9-5 hours which is fair enough :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  7. a4labels

a4labels UKBF Regular Full Member

112 11
    I think the lack of postings is more down to the fact that we discussed RM new prices a couple of weeks back when the new packet post structure was announced.

These prices probably will not affect too many businesses.

At least now these are out, we can justify increasing our shipping costs.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: a4labels Member since: Jun 22, 2011
  8. paretowasright

671 98
    Yes fair point...we do a lot of large letters and small packets >100g but anyone selling bulkier heavier items will probably already be using couriers or finding the new 0-750g banding on packets not too much of a problem.

9. smo

smo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,095 337
    Over 95% of my packets fall between the 100g and 750g weight bands meaning every single one has risen considerably in price.

For many this wouldnt be a problem, but we offer free postage and have done for nearly 21 years now - to remove this would be very bad for the business yet keeping it is going to screw us!

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: smo Member since: Apr 3, 2010
  10. dynamic08

dynamic08 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,897 91
    I normally use packet post but most of our items are between 100-750 grams they currently fall under large letter has this been removed?

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: dynamic08 Member since: May 19, 2008
  11. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  12. dynamic08

dynamic08 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,897 91
    your sure this is packetpost ?

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: dynamic08 Member since: May 19, 2008
  13. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi UKBF Regular Free Member

150 33
    I've just been reading through the details about the new prices. These seem to have changed from the original proposals published last month. I cannot see a service called 'Packetpost' any more instead there is 'Packet Despatch' which has introduced different prices depending on the number of items you send per 'Sales Order'. I do not think that this was mentioned originally.

On the plus side I was expecting the price for packets < 750g to be £2.36 plus VAT but it appears that they will only be £2.19 plus VAT (even cheaper if you send more than 100 items per day).

Am I reading this correctly?

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: Rolo Tomasi Member since: Nov 19, 2009
  14. pbsdirect

pbsdirect UKBF Contributor Free Member

75 11
    I think the way people shop will change on both ebay and amazon, not just doing their shopping list and when something is 10p cheaper going for that, I think that they will be looking at sellers other items more and going for combined postage.. Even better they may be spending 40quid on my webby and getting free next day service... you never know but I am sure ebay will have a comeback unfortunately they just INCREASED the fees. hmm. even less reason to be there, amazon will just look on it to push their own sales and fullfilment, which has gone up but not proportionately. They probably can charge themselves whatever they want with royal mail and other couriers.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: pbsdirect Member since: Aug 12, 2010
  15. pbsdirect

75 11
    I think the way people shop will change on both ebay and amazon, not just doing their shopping list and when something is 10p cheaper going for that, I think that they will be looking at sellers other items more and going for combined postage.. Even better they may be spending 40quid on my webby and getting free next day service... you never know but I am sure ebay will have a comeback unfortunately they just INCREASED the fees. hmm. even less reason to be there, amazon will just look on it to push their own sales and fullfilment, which has gone up but not proportionately. They probably can charge themselves whatever they want with royal mail and other couriers.

16. pbsdirect

75 11
    sorry didnt meant to post that twice

17. leddle_34

leddle_34 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi,

Can anyone confirm the date for price increases on packet post (ppi business contract services)? All the dates I've seen so far on the RM site and information I've had through say its Monday 2nd April.

Everything else (i.e franking, stamp and post office counter pricing) looks like it goes up on 30th April. :|

Thanks,
    Sam

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 By: leddle_34 Member since: Mar 28, 2012
  18. pbsdirect

75 11
    On the site it says :
    "We can also confirm that prices for our business contract services, which we published on 2 March 2012, will come into effect on the 2 April 2012."

Also the email:
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]For full details of all our prices, including prices for our business contract services that change on 2nd April 2012, please visit: www.royalmail.com/prices2012

Em yes, looks like we have a day to come up with a plan and completely change our despatch ect. Nice
    [/FONT]

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 By: pbsdirect Member since: Aug 12, 2010
  19. pbsdirect

75 11
    Actually for April this makes it a lot cheaper to use the post office or smart stamp. Obviously in practice this would not be possible. But heh

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 By: pbsdirect Member since: Aug 12, 2010
  20. leddle_34

leddle_34 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for confirming that. Was thinking the same here. It would be cheaper to either get a franking machine for 4 weeks, stick stamps/smart stamps on them or take them down the post office (if any are practical). Makes no sense putting this service at such a price disadvantage for 4 weeks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    Posted: Mar 28, 2012 By: leddle_34 Member since: Mar 28, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.