General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Over the hill at 50+ ???

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ethical PR, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,987 1,220
    Me neither I am already fuming bloody mad. I just heard on the radio that the disgraced Speaker of the HOC the Rt Hon Micky the Moat Martin forced to resign just a few weeks ago has now been elevated to the House of Lords on the QT so he now gets another lifelong title and another pension.

Jesus Joseph & Mary. What a despicable government this is. He has even chosen a Scottish Lord of the Kilts or whatever in the same week Gordon Brown gave the nod to release a terrorist that murdered over 200 people because Brown the bown nose now want to be friends with Gaddafi. You know Gaddafi - the same dictator that is friends with Iran who are funding the Taliban.

What the f--k are we doing in Afghanistan. What were we doing in Irag. Trying to establish a democracy. Less that a dozen people out of 1,000s eligable bothered to vote in the first so called historic general election.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  2. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    Older men, (50+) produce less serotonin.
    Having less serotonin makes you grumpy.
    Grumps are less likely to get a job.
    QED

Anyway OldEagle, are you sure? Isn't a Harley Grayvidson as sad as a MenoPorsche? :)

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  3. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    And the bike I am after is a HD hog lookalike too. Only 125cc but looks the part and I know that as long as I can get one leg over that I be alright on the night too - if you know what I mean:cool:

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  4. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,644
    Well we are owed a decent pension as we paid for it for 50 years.The fact that most of it has been stolen by successive governments to fund there mates hair brained scheme's,like paying 13 x the cost of a hospital under PPP scams or bleeding great tents at Greewhich for a billion or so.:|

I believe the current taxation rate in the UK is 48 p in the pound.:eek:

Earl

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  5. Will-man Rodders

Will-man Rodders UKBF Newcomer Free Member

150 40
    Quote from Sirearl,

Only some have paid for 50 years. Many people have not - but they often expect the same benefits as if they had.

As for 48p in the £ tax ... doesn't that depend upon how much petrol you use, and alcohol you drink? It could be higher.

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: Will-man Rodders Member since: Jan 27, 2008
  6. Matt1959

Matt1959 UKBF Legend Free Member

6,295 1,226
    lots of advantages in running a business at 50+ I would say. Among them - life experience, kids have left home (for some) = less living expense, mortage nearly paid off (for some) = lots of equity. So, in terms of starting a business, I would say 50 is a good age. Fot those at 50 that dont have the above advantages, its the same as being 30 except you're knackered:)

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  7. sirearl

29,807 6,644
    Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  8. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    The average tax paid by the average emploeyed was at least 70p per pound about 3 years ago.

Basically becasue we all pay tax on certain luxuries. For example, inheriting money when we are lucky enough to lose of loved one :|

That and petrol, smokes, alcohol, pretty much any food fancier than a potato. Pretty much everything you can buy in fact.

And of course some people give the last of their spare change to charity, which I guess makes up the final part of the tax %!

Has this gone off topic? :)

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  9. crossdaz

crossdaz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,773 778
    They didn't need to - somebody did it for 'em.

I guess they must be quite peeved at not having a fair chance to elect their leaders like we do in Mother England? (or maybe not?)

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: crossdaz Member since: Sep 3, 2008
  10. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,241 1,584
    Hi movietub and everyone else

Thanks to everyone for the interesting responses, even if the thread does seem to have gone a bit off topic at times.:)

Movietub, there really is no need to be so suspicious about the motivation of PRIME. As I mentioned it's one of the Prince's charities - it supports the over 50's, whereas the Prince's Trust, which a lot more people, I think will of heard of, supports under 30's.

There are lots of people out there, who for a variety of reasons, will want to look at starting up their own business as they get older. Sometimes that's because they have had a very high powered, pressurised job and want to have more time with their families, sometimes it's because the children have flown the nest and they have paid off the mortgage and can afford to take the risk, sometimes it's because they have a hobby or skill they have always wanted to do something with, and yes sometimes its because they are finding it difficult to find employment, so are considering alternatives.

Just as younger people may use the Prince's Trust or Make Your Mark and some people use their local Chamber of Commerce, Business Link or indeed forums like this for support and advice, increasing a number of over 50's are turning to PRIME.

This doesn't mean they aren't motivated or don't have the skills set, just that they need some help, advice and support to help them understand whether setting up a business or self-employment is for them.

In terms of the statistics mentioned by another poster. The figure used by PRIME is 1 in 3 over 50's are without work, rather than 'unemployed' as defined by government statistics. I will happily ask them for clarification when they are back in the office next week and get back to you.

We live in a society where we have an increasingly ageing population, who are living longer and are dependant on fewer and fewer people of working age.

Personally, I think that the work of PRIME and organisation's like them who are helping those over 50, who want to work, find opportunities to do so, can only be of benefit to us all.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  11. sirearl

29,807 6,644
    "We live in a society where we have an increasingly ageing population, who are living longer and are dependant on fewer and fewer people of working age."

Sorry old cock but we paid our money in the kitty, as said before.

Please may I have mine back or has someone nicked it.?In which case just like the banks.........................:eek:

Earl

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  12. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,241 1,584
    Hi Earl

I am certainly not begrudging any of us, that have worked hard over the years, from having a happy life after work. :)

Just pointing out the reality of the strain it puts on our economy, health service etc

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  13. sirearl

29,807 6,644
    and I am just pointing out that our pension money has been stolen by various governments,hence the problems we have now.

The idea that the young people working now are in some ways supporting pensioners I find insulting and a bleeding lie.:)

Earl

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  14. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    Sorry I still see don't see how what PRIME does is more useful than chambers of commerce. There is no reason a 50yo needs seperate advice from any other age business person.

And I maintain that there is no benefit in helping someone else (of whatever age) work out if self employment is for them.

If you are starting up a business you need to be pretty realistic about a few things. You need to be the sort of person that will seek out solutions and answers in real time. If you are the sort of person that needs a charity to lay out 'pros and cons of business 101' for you to make the initial decision, then you probably don't have the independant thought, drive and self motivation to run a succesful business.

And as I have said before. I really don't believe over 50's have an unreasonably hard time getting a job anyway. 50 will soon be statistically middle aged! General opinion of 50 is changing everyday.

Any 50 yo that keeps pace with the rate at which the world develops, works hard and make forward thinking, intelligent decisions, seem to cope just fine.

I certainly don't intend to rely upon someone else giving me a job at 50. Why should they? I don't intend to rely upon a pension either. Why take the risk when there are ways I can safguard my future right now?

If I was lost at 50 then it would ultimatley have been due to my own life decisions surely?

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  15. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    I quote.

Hi movietub and everyone else

Thanks to everyone for the interesting responses, even if the thread does seem to have gone a bit off topic at times.

Movietub, there really is no need to be so suspicious about the motivation of PRIME. As I mentioned it's one of the Prince's charities - it supports the over 50's, whereas the Prince's Trust, which a lot more people, I think will of heard of, supports under 30's.

There are lots of people out there, who for a variety of reasons, will want to look at starting up their own business as they get older. Sometimes that's because they have had a very high powered, pressurised job and want to have more time with their families, sometimes it's because the children have flown the nest and they have paid off the mortgage and can afford to take the risk, sometimes it's because they have a hobby or skill they have always wanted to do something with, and yes sometimes its because they are finding it difficult to find employment, so are considering alternatives.

Just as younger people may use the Prince's Trust or Make Your Mark and some people use their local Chamber of Commerce, Business Link or indeed forums like this for support and advice, increasing a number of over 50's are turning to PRIME.

This doesn't mean they aren't motivated or don't have the skills set, just that they need some help, advice and support to help them understand whether setting up a business or self-employment is for them.

In terms of the statistics mentioned by another poster. The figure used by PRIME is 1 in 3 over 50's are without work, rather than 'unemployed' as defined by government statistics. I will happily ask them for clarification when they are back in the office next week and get back to you.

We live in a society where we have an increasingly ageing population, who are living longer and are dependant on fewer and fewer people of working age.

Personally, I think that the work of PRIME and organisation's like them who are helping those over 50, who want to work, find opportunities to do so, can only be of benefit to us all.

Come on now lets get real. All this is paying lip service to the real needs of the over 50's and all businesses for that matter and what's more PRIME is nothing like the Princes Trust for young people at all.

The Princes Trust actually supports young people with funding. PRIME does not. All it does is link to an American Bank who have their own lending criteria.

Now if the OP can give me one example of where an unemployed over 50 year old with no income and no track record can get a loan from them to start up in business I'll eat my hat.

As with Business Link this is all a smokescreen. New start-ups may find some of the info on Vat etc useful on the BL site but where is the real help. Where is the funding. There is none.

I am sorry OP I don't think there is any ethical about your post at all and frankly I am surprised that Prince Charles lent his name to this. Then again he does seem to do the governments bidding these days. I understand that he was due to go to Libya as part of a deal with Gaddaifi until the Lockerbie fiasco blew up in the governments face.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  16. Geoff T

Geoff T UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,599 1,262
    O/T for a sec - happy birthday OEE! - enjoy the day (or the blonde!):D

OP - my wife's over 50 and disabled to boot! abilities, experience et al in abundance, but no-one'll touch her! (no wonder she's so fed up - 'shelved' before her time...)

the whole system's anti grown ups IMHO...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: Geoff T Member since: Apr 30, 2009
  17. handyal

handyal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

98 8
    Well said oldeagleeye as you have hit the nail on the head.

Just wondered how old you are movietub after your comment "And as I have said before. I really don't believe over 50's have an unreasonably hard time getting a job anyway"

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: handyal Member since: Jul 27, 2009
  18. sirearl

29,807 6,644
    Oh really:

The committee said that there were currently between 700,000 and 1 million over 50s who wanted to work but were unable to find jobs, at an estimated loss to the economy of £19bn to £31bn a year.

Earl

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.