Over the hill at 50+ ???

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ethical PR, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,060 1,543
    There's been lots in the media lately about the number of young people out of work (based on the latest Office National Statistics figures), but very little around the fact that 1 in 3 over 50's are without work. Almost 60% have nothing, other than a state pension to rely on.

For many over 50's who want to work, because there is still so much age discrimination in the market place, becoming self-employed or starting their own business is a much more attractive option.

PRIME (one of the Prince's charities) founded to help over 50's set up their own business is launching the first national Olderpreneurs Roadshow starting at Bristol on the 23rd September; offering free advice and support to anyone interesting in becoming an entrepreneur.

Anyone going along will be able to hear from local Olderpreneurs about their experiences, find out about local sources of support, find out more about how PRIME can help (for example the charity runs an Olderpreneur Loans Scheme). There will also be opportunities for networking. And it's FREE.

You can book online by visiting www.primebusinessclub.co.uk and if you can't come along to the Roadshow, PRIME, has a FREE Business Club that you can join.

After Bristol, the roadshow will move to Leeds on 14 October and Manchester on 9 December. It will then be in London, Birmingham and Glasgow or Edinburgh (dates to be confirmed).

Be interested in hear about what you feel are the benefits of running a business as an 'olderpreneur'.

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  2. handyal

handyal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

98 8
    Just coming up to fifty in three months time after taking voluntary redundancy three years ago from a very stressful job working fifty to sixty hours a week. We have been living abroad for the last two and a half years but have moved back here and need a job of some sort to keep me sane but don't want to get back on the treadmill of having to work a set number of hours and only being able to have a certain amount of holidays each year.

So I have now decided to work for myself as it gives me the independence to please myself to a certain degree and I can pick and choose my jobs.

I don't think of myself as being nearly fifty, it's just all of the aches and pains which go with it as to a reminder of my age!

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: handyal Member since: Jul 27, 2009
  3. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    I'm a tad sceptical.

I honestly don't believe that anyone who is capable of running a succesful business would see their own age as a factor.

The whole point of being your own boss is that you have confidence in yourself and ambition. If you have those two things you won't care how old you are. If you don't, and you do care how old you are, then you are an unsuitable person to run a business. Why would you help someone to run a business if they basically don't want to?

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  4. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    99% of the population do things they don't want to do in order to earn a crust.:p:D

Earl

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  5. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,987 1,220
    50 is but a spring chicken these days. I am 60 on Monday and just about to launch a new venture and god willing I still have half my life in front of me. The best half.

After all when you think about it. We spend the first 30 years of our lives growing up and by the time we are 30 we are strapped up to the hilt with all sorts of commitments. We spend the next 30 years paying off debts. Looking after our children and helping them get established.

At 60 we are usually free of all these burdens even though some may have been rewarding.

60 ain't old then. It is 60 going on 30 again but without the responsibilities. Roll on Christmas then. By then I should have a decent wedge in the bank again and being 60 & single now too I plan to treat myself to a Harley Davidson. If your down on Southend sea front then watch out for me.

I'll be cruising along the seafront with a blonde on the back wearing a kiss me quick hat and she will no doubt be 60 going on 30 too. Whoopee.

Robert

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  6. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    Being an optimised is good ,but your bleeding Psyhcotic unless the old abacus has stuck again.:|:D

Earl

7. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    You have been spending too long down in that dungeon Earl. What has Psychiatrics got to do with mathmatics and isn't 60 divided by 2 = 30 anyway but if your really prickly this morning I say 50%.:D

BTW. Did you see that 'Dolls House' on the Dragon's Den this week. The guy that wants to market them didn't get the investment he wanted but Peter Jones bought the demo model on the spot for £28,000.:eek:

8. movietub

4,859 1,109
    Many people take jobs they don't want to earn a crust but I never heard of anyone setting up a business to give themselves a job they don't want, doing something they don't like!

Although I accept that many self employed end up in that situation as the years go by :)

9. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    lets be prickly 2 x 60=120

Peter phones has more money that sense,:rolleyes:

You could buy a teriffic log cabin for that dosh.:|

Earl

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  10. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    Bloody hell you are prickly today Earl. I said half my life to date or plus 50%. Not double my life to date. I don't want to end up a grouchy old man like you.:eek:

After I get Charlies birthday card at 100 I would be perfectly happy to join my Jedi friends.:D

11. movietub

4,859 1,109
    I'm afraid that you won't pop it until you're at least 130. Thats if we are to believe those that extrapolate previous increases in lifespan and expect it to continue until we never die...

I think I was once told the human body is capable of no more than about 140 years for all sorts of mechanical reasons I do not understand.

My point is you should aim for 120, that way you were right however grumpier older men interperet it ;)

12. adventurelife

adventurelife UKBF Ace Full Member

2,040 620
    Christ that is me a member of yet another 1% club :)

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: adventurelife Member since: Dec 2, 2007
  13. sirearl

29,807 6,643

I take it your not married then.:p:)

Earl

14. adventurelife

adventurelife UKBF Ace Full Member

2,040 620
    I like being married, keeps my feet on the ground or was it her that told me that.:rolleyes:

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: adventurelife Member since: Dec 2, 2007
  15. Will-man Rodders

Will-man Rodders UKBF Newcomer Free Member

150 40
    Firstly, thanks Ethical PR for your original post. I am over 50 and my wife would just love me to go back into employment; your post supplied the evidence I needed that ageism affects us '50 year olds', and it ain't as easy as it used to be to gain meaningful employment. But returning to the stats Ethical PR supplied ...

The figures I can find show a different story...

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/lmsuk0809.pdf

and table 9(2) in particular - if I have read it correctly - shows unemployment of the over 50's at just 4.4%. I wonder who is correct?

Do Ethical PR's figures include those over the age of 50 (and in particular aged 60) where many men have taken retirement?

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 By: Will-man Rodders Member since: Jan 27, 2008
  16. movietub

4,859 1,109
    One would hope the OPs response to the obove is very solid! - Otherwise I would be suspicious as to the level of commercial motivation behind this scheme.

Personally it makes no sense to me at all. If a person of any age decides to go self employed their success will not be affected by other peoples views regards age. And they would not need any age specific training or assitance to start their own business. General business networks and advice are not aimed at any age whatsoever.

If you struggle find employment over 50 becasue of employers attitudes then start a business and prove them wrong. If it fails then they were right. Either way I don't know anybody over the age of 50 that has the attitude that they are 'owed' a job. It's no different to the people that own flagging village shop and complain think that they are owed customers.

If age isn't on your side find another way to sell yourself. Trying to change peoples preconceptions is, in my experience at least, a waste of time. Playing to your strengths is much more likely to get you somewhere - and ultimatley prove people wrong.

17. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    Slightly off thread. I for one am a little pis-ed-off at the winging coming from a lot of over 60s out there. Isn't that when the pension credit kicks in which I believe is £130 quid a week now plus your rent and rates paid if you have less than £6K in savings. I understand they also get free prescriptions and eye test too and vouchers for specs when needed.

Now I know that I could live quite comfortably on £130 quid a week tax free in me back pocket each week and I am and will in fact be doing just that until my new venture gets off the ground. What's more I don't live badly. I have wine with my meal nearly every night. I down a full bottle Sat & Sunday and partake of a few cigars too.

As for t/nites dinner lets see. I got avocado and king prawns for starters and a Chinese pork and mixed pepper stir fry to follow. Tomorrow I got a huge fresh chicken breast and a decent portion of some fantastic mixed roast veg from Iceland that will go on to last me 4 days. You really ought to try them vegs @ just £2 quid and that ain't all. I got my favourite dessert. Baked Rice pudding with lots or burnt skin on the top. I comes from a tin but it tastes great. Cost 18p from Sainsbury.

I appreciate that pensioners may not be well off but they ain't exactly on the breadline either. If I didn't smoke or drink I know I could save over£2,500 a year for holidays and clothes too as well as live like a king.

I am afraid the griping don't impress me then.

Robert

18. Will-man Rodders

150 40
    Movietub,

I agree with you. I think though the OP was stating that many 50+ people do not relish the idea of going self-employed at that stage in their life. If they have been in employment for, lets say, the previous 30 years it is a big step to take. And it is the inability to obtain employment that is now 'forcing' them to consider the self-employed option.

The support now being offered by PRIME will [hopefully] give some the help they need.

19. Will-man Rodders

150 40
    Robert (OldEagleeye),

Yes, I agree, many people do not know how lucky they are. And it's not just the 60+ age group either. Many youngsters too seem to think the world owes them a high quality of life for no input by them. But don't get me started on that topic.

20. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    You can not be serious .?:|:)

Gas and leccy £140 a month.

Running a car essential if you live in the sticks min £100 a month.

food £200 a month for a resonable diet.

so that leaves £20 a week.

Council tax for owner occupiers.

God help you if you get a leak in the roof or need a new pair of undies.

Never mind the cost of a Harley Davidson.:D

and all that for working hard all your life.:eek:

Earl

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.