Sales, Marketing & PR Brought to you by Adzooma

Our organic traffic has been destroyed by a scam agency. How do we move forward?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Roofing Supplies, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Roofing Supplies

Roofing Supplies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello,

Last year we started working with an SEO company which took us for a ride, taking us from 3500 organic visits per day to over 10,000. They boosted monthly revenue by £30,000 also... Which sounds great right?

But then it all came crashing down. We got hit by a Google update, looking into what they have done we see dozens of links from private blog networks, spammed blasts and spammed quora questions.

We worked with this company based on them taking 5% of organic revenue. They spammed our site, got it ranking by any means necessary and when it was penalized and revenue dropped to £4000 per month they disappeared, ignored our emails and calls. I even visited their office, they locked the door and refused to talk to me until I left, I could see them sat there looking at me through the window.

I found similar stories from this agency when Googling them after working with them.

I don't want to name the company, I don't want revenge. I just want advice on how to move forward.

Our monthly revenue dropped to £4000 per month from organic, which is a huge issue for us. We are looking at making people redundant over this.

Can anyone suggest how we can recover from this?

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Roofing Supplies Member since: Feb 22, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,640 1,114
    Can you use a different SEO company to recover the site or would a new site be more cost effective?

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,044 1,668
    If your product is profitable and there seems to be a market as you got increased visitors, then initially start your recovery through Adwords, meanwhile employ a proper SEO consultant to examine and make a recovery plan.

The mistake you made was clearly paying for results, tempting as it may be, in the wild west of SEO that is putting too much temptation out there.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  4. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

226 49
    You can recover from this, but its not the work of a moment, it needs analysis & measures put in place regards the penalty.

The actions would depend on the penalty & exacty what's happened. Have you got a Google Search Console (GSC) account setup that you can access? If so you can check whether you've had a manual penalty, or a combination of manual & algorithmic.

My suspicion would be that the site is still indexed, as you're getting some organic traffic, you can check the main pages with a simple Google search. So its probably not sitewide & manual.

The first thing to do would be to check there aren't any problems with your site; e.g. malware, hidden pages with spammy outbound links on them, if there are you need to sort this before you do anything.

The next step is working out what the spammy links are & disavowing them, these should be visible in backlink tools & GSC. The more difficult search is to find the PBN links, as they may be hidden from backlink crawlers & GSC, if you know what these are disavow them too.

Once that's done you can view what happens to your traffic situation & look at the next stage, which may be different depending on the outcome of this work. If it's successful you can move back to some decent SEO & link building from relevant safe sites to try recover traffic.

In the interim, the only way to recover your traffic would be an AdWords/Bing PPC campaign & potentially Google Shopping & social media campaigns, depending on your product/market.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  5. msharron

msharron UKBF Regular Full Member

290 55
    PM me the URL, Ill cast my eyes over it.

What you described is usually a result of crappy links. You probably just need a disavow. Cant be certain without looking.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: msharron Member since: Feb 28, 2014
  6. msharron

msharron UKBF Regular Full Member

290 55
    You can find PBN links easily enough, just download them from Googles web master console.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: msharron Member since: Feb 28, 2014
  7. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,670 262
    So, you were happy about the extra business, and you know how and where you generated it from, so what don't you replicate what they were doing, but this time do it legitimately?

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  8. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

952 137
    Your former SEO service only depends on black hat in which greedy to links scheming and popularity in which only gives you temporary results. An analysis and strategic plan to your website that will be handled by an well experience practitioner or company in which will also helps you understand on what they are going to do to recover your site. This will take time.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  9. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Regular Free Member

151 12
    Anyone else see the irony in this ?

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  10. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Regular Free Member

151 12
    Seriously though, 10,000 hits per day ?

I’m delighted if I get 50

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  11. Davidincognac

Davidincognac UKBF Contributor Full Member

53 4
    you need to make a list of the links
    put them into a csv file
    go to Google Control Panel
    disavow the links

if you need more help PM me

Posted: Apr 14, 2018 By: Davidincognac Member since: Apr 9, 2018
  12. The next Steve Jobs

The next Steve Jobs UKBF Regular Free Member

175 12
    Organic growth always has been and all ways will be the safest way to grow

Weelspinning or pulling a wheelie away from the lights may seem like fun

But as you now realise, such activities are tracked by the digital police

Being niave to the ways of the digital world is no different to being niave to the ways of the physical world .... exploiters abound!

ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS you might face

1) the campaign may have exhausted the immediate circle of customers

2) high levels of spam'vertising can create a secondary ring of scorched earth

3) irrevocable damage may have been done to your companies image and sector

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

The day ISPs let the spammers win is the day the internet ceases to be of value to anyone! ... it's in everyone's interest that the sharks not be fed ... I hope that your sharing of your misfortune will act as a reminder to us all...and temper the mind set of SEO addicts et al

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Posted: Apr 14, 2018 By: The next Steve Jobs Member since: Mar 19, 2018
  13. George Owen

George Owen UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 1
    SEO takes a long time. Keep it white hat and the long game will be more beneficial.

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 By: George Owen Member since: Apr 9, 2018
  14. LatitudeSixty

LatitudeSixty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 3
    I feel for the OP.

But could it be that one of the reasons for making this post was in order to promote the site listed in their profile?

In which case, I'd say that maybe they're pretty good at SEO already!

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 By: LatitudeSixty Member since: Oct 24, 2014