UKSBD

• Business Listing
    Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Why the dislike of sidebars UKSBD? What would be your preferred alternative?
    I must agree with @UKSBD, on tablets and phones (which is what the majority use these days) a sidebar just gets in the way or is shoved right down the bottom (making it pointless).

It's why I developed the onepage theme (in my signature). You have to be a bit creative in your design but the rewards for not using a sidebar is better engagement on smaller screens.

Consider your use of UKBF. Look at the site on a phone. Does the lack of sidebar lessen the use of the site or enhance it?

Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    Again, personal opinion (so not really worth much)

Font - something not quite right with it

Main heading colour - Don't like the red, I constantly change my colours but nearly always go back to same colour (or slightly darker) as main text.

Font size - slightly too small

Font spacing - line height still not enough for me

Not enough left padding (I hate things too close to edges)

Don't like italic/underlined/same colour links

Border colours - Don't like them, another thing I keep changing but then go back to dedede

Sidebar - As I said earlier, cannot see the point of it. Recent posts appear in blog anyway, all the posts/pages/articles could be under a separate Website Design Guides section which is given far more prominence.

Search - Unless it always makes the post/article/page you want people to find when searching for something top, I would scrap it (not accurate or good enough which results in people reading things you don't want them to read instead of the things you want them to read)

Upvote 0

Richard Moore

Legacy Full Member
    Nov 14, 2009
    www.easify.co.uk
    I must agree with @UKSBD, on tablets and phones (which is what the majority use these days) a sidebar just gets in the way or is shoved right down the bottom (making it pointless).

Granted they're not appropriate on mobiles, no reason to have them on that format screen anyway with a decent responsive design.

My question is more aimed at the desktop experience. Personally I prefer to see a list of interesting things to click on than having to go hunting for the hidden meat. TBH one of the reasons I will go back to the site later is because items in the nav panel caught my attention during the short time I was originally on the site.

Upvote 0
    If the sidebar is useful there are lots of creative ways to keep it relevant on mobile, unfortunately most developers are lazy and let it stack up at the bottom of the page.

The sidebar on this site at the bottom is completely useless as it looks to be listing some sort of table of contents yet you need to scroll down to see it, it should be at the top.

Upvote 0
    Honest Opinion...

Content - not read it yet - but can't wait as I'm sure it's going to help me a lot :)

Font - A font is a font to me... However I prefer to send all my emails out with Calibre in a faded dark blue... no idea why! Just prefer it to Black on white text.

The not so secret rules of effective website design

I always see red content as a warning... therefore I have a scan... if I see nothing else in red or bold I take it as it's "read"... and my mind doesn't compute it therefore I don't remember it...

(Look at above as an Autistic point of view :) )

The side panel bar... grey is it? with grey writing? someone who is colourblind will miss that text.

Yoda... I love Yoda!! But in a black box looks awful... should be a floaty Yoda with the caption in a bubble... but that's my personal opinion on yoda :D ;)

Top bar - red font looks shite... sorry... it looks blurry...

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Free Member
    Jun 24, 2014
    I suspect contact box would be better at the top of the sidebar. On a desktop, it's presented to the user straightaway and they know it's there if they want to contact you and on a mobile it should appear directly after the main content, rather than having to scroll past 'recent posts' etc.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Red is now blue and sidebar is now white.

Heading more and more minimalist (which I've always liked).

Contact form is at the top.

I'm going to experiment this weekend with a no sidebar layout and see how this works.

Most people land on inner page from a google search anyway so I just need to beef up the internal linking

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    If you don't test you will never know. People get all scared about changing their site - there is no need, if your change doesn't work then change it back. But if it does work you could double your income overnight (possibly).

I've gone all singular. I've dropped the sidebar just to see what difference it makes.

https://aerin.co.uk/

I will be playing with the internal linking later today - adding links to the pages/posts works better than the sidebar anyway.

Upvote 0

Richard Moore

Legacy Full Member
    Nov 14, 2009
    www.easify.co.uk
    I've gone all singular. I've dropped the sidebar just to see what difference it makes.

For me the site now just looks like a bland wall of text and the eye has real trouble finding anything to rest on (think newspaper with only one column) - I reckon you'd get a higher bounce rate with this style than the original but obviously that's only my personal guesstimate.

I'd re-introduce the side-bar. I know there's not much love for them in here but I'm a believer that each of these design elements is just another tool in the toolbox. Sometimes they are appropriate and relevant to a design, sometimes they aren't. In this case I think it adds to the design (at desktop scaling anyway - not mobile).

It'd be worth setting up a live A-B split test to get some empirical data to judge the design by.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Stats since I removed the sidebar show a lower bounce rate than with the sidebar.

Most people land on inner pages after googling. Very few of them ever clicked on the sidebar links, most clicks were on the main nav and inline links.

Upvote 0

deniser

Free Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    London
    For me, the main problem is the size of the font. It takes such an effort to read. I am someone that doesn't read words individually but just kind of look at the text to read it and I just can't take it in at that size. And my eyesight is poor and it's still too big on my PC.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    @deniser, have you checked on your tablet/phone? is it any better?

Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    I know you say not many people come in via the homepage but to me that just doesn't look right as a home page.

It would look ok as an article on an inner page, but not as a homepage.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    OK....

So your suggestion is?

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu