Organised Robbery + Police = Civil Matter

Discussion in 'Legal' started by BartJr, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BartJr

BartJr UKBF Regular Free Member

248 10
    Greetings,

I'm seeking an advice on behalf of a friend:

My friend (dog breeder) has had a puppy stolen in an organised robbery. Visitors came and escaped. Don't ask how, I wasn't there. All she has found was £100 (left by them?). So the first thing she did is contact the Police, they've found the person who admitted taking the animal but they failed to retrieve the animal. Since that £100 was found, they now say it's a civil matter and that these people have used a loophole in law to get away. Investigation closed.

Animal was listed for £1400.

Now, my friend has got no idea who these people are, but Police have got their details.

Now the question is: What should she do now in your opinion?

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: BartJr Member since: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

10,409 2,670
    Ask to speak to the police inspector.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,380 3,051
    If they removed property without consent It's pretty obviously a criminal matter. Not robbery though - unless they took it from them personally; it's theft or even burglary. The fact that they left an inadequate amount of cash is irrelevant.

BUT I suspect there's more to this than is being said.

Anyhoo, next step would be to try to talk to someone higher, write to the chief constable and/or make a complaint

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints

But I'd be surprised if there isn't something else going on here. Thieves don't leave payments.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  4. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,839 443
    Yep. You need to give us more information.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  5. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,475 600
    I'd be very curious to know why they left £100 - presumably in cash.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  6. Newchodge

10,409 2,670
    Presumably they offered to buy the pup, left payment in an envelope, but then the amount left did not match the amount required by the seller. Hence civil matter - failure to pay bill - rather than criminal matter, appropriating the property of another with intent to permanently deprive.

7. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,380 3,051
    Try doing that in the Apple Store or M&S and you'd soon find out that it WAS a criminal matter.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  8. Newchodge

10,409 2,670
    Yes. but in the Apple Store or M&S they would not have agreed to you taking the merchandise.

9. nelioneil

nelioneil UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

573 75
    I still think we are missing details of this intriguing story!

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: nelioneil Member since: Jan 22, 2013
  10. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,505 1,567
    Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  11. BartJr

248 10
  12. BartJr

248 10
    More info:

Thief came to 'view' the puppies since they were not ready to leave (5 weeks old). Attempted to take two, but ended up escaping with 1. £100 is the amount asked for the deposit.

Thief lied to the Police claiming she has paid full amount and that the owner of the puppies said they are ready to go the new home now. Despite all the efforts made by Police, they didn't take them seriously and did not return the stolen pup.

Police has admitted that these people have used a loophole in law and that there is nothing they can do anymore and that it will be a civil matter. Also stated that the person who has had the pup stolen 'Lied' on the statement they took.

Now the fun fact: Police was unable to find the registration number of the vehicle used(despite zillions of cctv cameras everywhere), but they did not have a problem finding the person who stole it? (person was arrested literally 2 hours after the event took place).

13. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

7,670 2,984
    Obviously, a formal complaint in writing (not email, not telephone, not pigeon post) must be filed with the police. People think that they can use the telephone and that has some effect - it does not. We get calls all the time about this, that and the other. Our answer - If it is a genuinely serious issue, put it in writing!

The police get all kinds of daft calls from daft people. The difference between daft people and those who have a genuine grievance is that the genuine grievance comes in the form of a registered letter.

There is no loophole in the law. Even if they had left what they thought was the full amount, if the vendor does not want to sell, it is stealing.

At the same time, your friend must take immediate legal action for the return of the puppy.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  14. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,475 600
    Unfortunately, I get the feeling the puppy has been sold on. Taken away from it's mum too early and then probably sold for drugs. The puppy might not survive. Yes, I am generalising but given someone has 'stolen' the puppy chances are they don't have any morals or the desire/ability to care for it :(

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  15. BartJr

248 10
    Police has spent around 3 weeks trying to retrieve it. Failed.

As far as I know, the person who stole the pup gave it to someone who sold it on.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: BartJr Member since: Feb 12, 2015
  16. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

7,670 2,984
    Then a formal complaint and a claim for damages against the police would be in order as a victim of police and prosecutorial inaction, under the Human Rights Act 1998.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.