Opinion on Webreilers - I gave you mine, please give me yours

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Karl M, Sep 6, 2019.

?

Do you know Webretailer website?

1. Yes, but never use it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I use it regularly but only free features

16.7%
  3. Yes, I'm paid customer on Webretailer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I don't know nothing about Webretailer

83.3%
  1. Karl M

Karl M UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    Hey everyone! Can you please give me your opinion on Webretailer.com? Do you think he's traffic is relevant. I know its good for backlinks but for me, the website looks a bit old and I'm not sure that it's still worth that money what they asking for a listing in the directory. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: Karl M Member since: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Andy G

Andy G UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I own and run webretailer.com.

It is free for relevant businesses (providers of ecommerce software and services) to get listed in the directory. There is an optional paid upgrade.

It is not a place where you can "buy" a link. We only list genuine vendors of software and services that are relevant to online marketplace sellers.

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 By: Andy G Member since: Feb 13, 2019
  3. Karl M

31 0
    It's good to see you Adny! What do you mean by "It is not a place where you can "buy" a link"? I think it's the main value of the website. If I'll pay for listing in your directory - I will "buy" a link for my company (eCommerce or related industry). Right?
    But the value of this listing is not clear. That's why I post this question here. I hope to see here some of your customers and ask for advice regarding a listing and benefits it may bring to the business. Is it significantly increase traffic? Not sure that you are the right person to ask but I hope to hear from someone who has the Webretailer experience and ready to share some results.
    BTW, Andy do you plan to redesign your website? I mean make it modern looking and maybe reduce the number of banners on each page? No offense but it's looks like a portal-style website from 90s. I'm sure that you build up your SEO but not a look and feel.
    Anyway, it's great that on my modest question came the Webretailer's main guy personally. Keep it up!

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Karl M Member since: Jul 5, 2019
  4. Karl M

31 0
    BTW, is there a difference in the quality of a link on the free and paid version? I mean, is it DoFollow links on free version also?

5. Andy G

3 0
    You cannot buy a link on Web Retailer. We do not sell links.

It is free to have a listing, for companies that qualify only. The purpose of a listing is so our visitors can learn about your software or service and submit reviews. The link back to the vendor is so readers can get more information if they are interested.

It has nothing to do with SEO. If you just want a link for SEO purposes, please do not contact us even if you do have a relevant service. Why is that? Because people who just want a link for SEO don't want to maintain their listing, provide useful information or get reviews, and are really just spammers.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Andy G Member since: Feb 13, 2019
  6. Karl M

31 0
    Great! Thank you for your clarification, and I totally agree with you that SEO is not the first priority in many cases. But it's no point to deny that you have a website with huge number of backlinks because of you in business much longer than most of the services listed in your directory. And, you want it or not but the Webretailer has great SEO value, so people who want to compare your service with other similar directories, will measure you by this metric as well.
    Any company who planning their promotion budgets want to see something in numbers what they can understand. For me, the question about SEO value does not make a person a spammer. It's common practice and I'm sure you know about it better than me.

Funny, but I've posted this question here because a few days ago I had a discussion with one of my colleagues from Amazon software company (listed on Webretailer for free), and he asked me regarding backlinks for their project and my opinion about some directories and launchpads for startups. Among everything else, was Webretailer, and the funniest part was that we share the same opinion about the website - it's a real giant and one of the oldest websites in the industry and if you are doing eCommerce you have to be listed. But both of us were puzzled with two questions - why the website remains without redesign for so long, and what changes in traffic will be on a paid listing versus free.

Honestly, I didn't expect such a lucky occurrence. It's great to hear the opinion of the person who really knows everything from the inside. Don't get me wrong Andy, I admire your long and consistent work on this project, I'm really curious (and not only me) how this website performe in after almost 20 years since it started, and how it weaved into the canvas of modern eCommerce and SEO.

7. Andy G

3 0
    I use mention.com to tell me if people are discussing Web Retailer and that picked up your post. I replied because I don't want people to get the idea that (1) all our listings are paid, because most are not and (2) it's a place to come and get a "backlink". There is manual work involved at our end for every directory listing (free or paid) and we don't want to waste time on people who just want a backlink.

The site is being moved to a new platform and redesigned. It's a difficult project on a large site that has developed over many years.

There is not a simple answer to the difference in traffic being free and paid listings. With a free listing your visibility is lower, particularly in categories with a lot of paid listings, but it's not enough to just pay for a listing. You also need reviews. If you actually have a service which is suitable for our directory you can apply for a vendor login to submit it for free.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Andy G Member since: Feb 13, 2019