Online Trade Discounts/Website start up

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Mark Tindale, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mark Tindale

Mark Tindale UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi Guys,

We are a start up company who manufacture our own small range of products... We have opened an eBay shop and a website.

Sales are very slow at the moment, which is probably to be expected... (it's never going to make a mint) but we are contemplating offering our products to other established online businesses to sell.

What we would like to know is, what's the best way to offer this, and what discounts under the rrp are usually offered? Our products have an average rrp of just £70.

Our website is almost non existent on google at the moment, so brand visabilty on other websites is probably a good idea as well as increased sales.

Thanks in advance

Mark - moto-cnc

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 By: Mark Tindale Member since: Oct 1, 2017
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,429 777
    You could talk to wholesale suppliers about distributing your products, likely to cost you something in margin though.
    You could exhibit at trade fairs and catch the retailers directly.
    You could advertise in the trade press for your business sector.

I'm in gifts, a £70 item is more of a risk than a £15 item to me - I'd be looking as a retailer paying between £20 and £27 wholesale listed price.
    A retailer who has much higher average stock price may well not see it as anything like as much risk.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

217 42
    With a higher ASP like yours, assuming your profit margin is good, why would you not market your website online?

With some product & customer research you should be able to create targeted campaigns & sell direct.

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  4. Mark Tindale

3 0
    Hi

Our profit margin is 49%. We do have a basic website and ebay shop... I'm not sure I can share it on here.

Problem is, I'm an engineer not in sales... so it's all a steep learning curve.

I have set up a Google AdWords account, and we are thinking of paying to try and push the website up the Google pages. But other than that, any advice is greatly appreciated.

I

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Mark Tindale Member since: Oct 1, 2017
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,546 8,436
    If you want to run adwords you need really good landing page on your website. It's something that needs a lot of careful preparation otherwise you end up chucking money away.

What are you selling?

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Mr D

7,429 777
    Ebay have some advertising too. Can set own rate up to 20% of price (would not recommend that outside Christmas) or can have it set to an average for that type - some of my stuff averages out below 2% currently.
    And only pay when you sell the item as a result of a click.

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Mark Tindale

3 0
    Our landing page is pretty poor at the minute to be honest.

We are manufacturing motorbike parts.

I have all of of my items promoted on ebay... only at 2% with limited success.

Looking at our competitors sales, ours seem pretty slow. I'm thinking of dropping the prices between 5-10%

It's the Google rankings that interest me most... any tips on the best way to climb the pages?

I thought about offering our products to small websites/ebay shops on a Dropship bases... Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks in advance...

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Mark Tindale Member since: Oct 1, 2017
  8. Mr D

7,429 777
    You already have the facility to dropship for other ebay sellers and websites. You have since the day you started selling on ebay.
    Unless someone repeatedly orders from you then you won't know if its a dropshipper. Unless you happen to know they are in the trade.

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

217 42
    You can carry out AdWords & SEO yourself, but you really need to research what you're trying to do & understand it well. This means that you need to carry out keyword research & optimise website landing pages, plus make sure the site is also optimised for speed & conversion.

Marketing, SEO & copy/content
    • What are your marketing goals and do you have customer / product / competitor research; e.g.
      • Customer age range, demographics, geographic areas you want to target
      • What are the products you want to promote and who are you competing against (price, spec, delivery lead time etc.)
      • What do customers/companies search for in relation to these products
      • What does success look like; e.g. amount of leads/contacts, cost, ROI etc.
    • How many website pages & what content do you need to achieve the marketing goals
    • We'd recommend a full technical SEO as part of any website changes; e.g. writing compelling titles & meta descriptions, h tag setup, alt tags, sitemaps, decent taxonomy & internal link structure etc. with a compelling simple conversion journey for your customers
    • Do you need new copy & content produced for the site; e.g. lots of companies and individuals we get involved with write good copy of their own. However, they use lots of internal industry language and never research what customers actually type into search engines, or look at their competitors sites to make sure they're doing a better job
    • Do you have a good handle on what makes a business rank in search engines and allows you to track performance; e.g. Google Search Console, Google Analytics and Google My Business setup and your NAP/markup, so that you can monitor the site and ensure that the local element is consistent everywhere & that all leads/sales are tracked
    AdWords PPC & Google Shopping

PPC & Google Shopping need a bit of margin to be worthwhile, but your product price & margin look well suited. Much of the marketing goals & customer details research is similar for PPC & SEO.
    • In terms of PPC search terms, you need to target very carefully, both keyword wise, demographic & potentially geographically
    • Use negative keywords to ensure that you're not wasting money on loads of irrelevant search terms that wont get you any sales
    • Setup a shopping feed to Google Merchant Centre to allow you to promote products via Google Shopping as well as search, as a targeted incremental campaign can be delivered here
    • Build an email list & audience data via organic & PPC visits to your site. This will enable re-targeting & email campaigns to take place in future, effectively promoting to an audience that's already interested in your products
    • Use sales data to build audience understanding as you go, this will help you target new customers better & build lookalike demographics audiences to reduce cost & improve ROI
    There is a lot to learn, but all is doable without spending too much money. You need to start with your marketing plan, carry out research & work out a sensible marketing budget. If you need any further advice or want to discuss any options in detail feel free to PM me.

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  10. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,471 261
    Sounds to me like you firstly need some general business advice as opposed to solutions to specific problems

You need someone high up in the air that can see the larger picture and tell you where they think you should put your efforts and why

And also how you should put effort into them

Some things are worth doing yourself and somethings are not - (Are you making your own nuts and bolts) - but this can be hard to know without experience and sometimes a lot of it

And then those are the business areas you focus on and put effort into
    Be it finding the right person/company and working with them
    And/Or doing the job yourself

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007