Office365 Emails - setting up multiple addresses.

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by ImranR, Jul 14, 2019.

1. ImranR

ImranR UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 5
    Hi all,

Trying to set up all of my email addresses but struggling. I have 3 trading brands and therefore 3 domains and consequently a need to send and receive emails under 3 email addresses.

I have purchased 1 account and have connected all 3 domains. But I am struggling to work out the best way to set up the 3 email addresses. I have tried 'aliases' but that just let's me receive emails and when I receive an email, there is no way of working out what alias was used to message me.

Does anyone else have a work around?

Thanks

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 By: ImranR Member since: Nov 8, 2018
  2. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,248 215
    It depends greatly on what O365 licence plan you have. If the plan If you have Business Premium, Business Essentials, or any of the Enterprise plans (E1, E3 or E5) then you have Exchange hosted email and you can set up as many group mail boxes as you need.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  3. ImranR

46 5
    Hi Ffox. So the only way around it is to set up group mailboxes and assign my primary as a member?

If so, the only issue I can see is Skype for Business where I need to use this for at least 2 of my addresses. Could I use Skype for the group mailbox?

Ps. I have the Business Essentials package.

4. ffox

1,248 215
    Skype for Business is now MS Teams. In O365 Business Essential, Teams and Mail Groups are tightly linked. Create a Team and it automatically creates a Group. Create a Group and you have the option to convert it to a Team.

If you download the desktop client for Teams, you can create a tab to display a web page and link that to Outlook Web Application. This enables you to see all group mail activity in the same place as messaging and phone conversations.

You can get more info on Teams at - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/Microsoft-Teams

5. ImranR

46 5
    Thanks Ffox. I managed to activate both teams and Skype. I wasn't able to communicate with a main client but it turns out it was because I'm not whitelisted.

I also managed to set up a shared mailbox so appreciate the advice. It is such a farce to set up and is pretty much a work around rather than a solution. I thought it would have been a common requirement for businesses hatso was surprised it wasn't a setting that you could easily create.

You clearly know your way around these things. Do you think Google is a better solution for my set up?

6. ffox

1,248 215
    No. Google can't even accommodate group mailboxes, much less deliver a team collaboration solution.

Google (G Suite/Google Apps) is good as far as it goes, but it goes nowhere near to what is achievable with O365.

I wish that wasn't so, as Microsoft would have some competition in the market place, but it's not.

I'm puzzled as to why you think the Teams setup is a farce. Just create a Team, give it a name and it's done. You can't get collaboration any simpler than that.

7. ImranR

46 5
    Cheers Ffox.

I meant setting up 3 email addresses under 3 different domains under 1 O365 account was a farce. Teams or Skype was not the issue.

Again. Thanks for your help

8. ffox

1,248 215
    When you launch a new Team in O365 you get to name the email address, and you can have as many as you want.

If you want to have three separate .com or .co.uk domains feeding into one O365 account you'll need to do this at the domain host level and forward mail from each domain to the appropriate O365 email address.

It's not hard to do, but the process is the same for any platform. You can forward domain mail to a G Suite account, n O365 account, or any other account.

I can't really see the benefit in doing this.

9. ImranR

46 5
    So I have set up 2 new group mailboxes for my 2nd and 3rd email addresses. Ive then given my primary email addresses the relevant permissions so all emails can be sent and received in my primary inbox. I didn't know you can create a new team in o365 and create a new email address that way. If I did this, will it be better or less cluttered in any way? Or should I just leave it as how I've done it?

I've already pointed all the domains to the same o365 account.

In terms of the benefits, again, I have 3 trading names/email addresses because I am targeting different markets. But i want 1 inbox to keep things simple.

10. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,221 1,722
    I know @ffox your expertise is MS, but the OPs requirement is actually dead simple in G Suite, you set gmail to respond as the receiving alias, job done, nothing to do with groups.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  11. ffox

1,248 215
    You can also do this with O365 if that fulfills the requirement.

Take a little time to see what you can do with MS Flow. It's all included in the O365 platform, but with Flow you can capture what arrives in an i any inbox and forward it to somwhere else, along with notes to show where it came from and when it arrived. This turns email into a work flow, or even a task based response system.
    Flow requires no IT knowlege, it's all menu selection.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004