Office 365 setup questions

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by enjoylife, Dec 23, 2020.

1. enjoylife

enjoylife UKBF Regular Free Member

145 5
    Hi,
    Can anybody give use some suggestions please.
    We have ordered 5 subscriptions of office 365 recently. Our goal is:
    two emails are: '[email protected]' and '[email protected]', which need to be checked by 3 different staff. So everybody can put a 'categories' mark on each received email and others can see it has been replied or need actions.
    The other three emails are for three individuals. These emails don't need to be share each other, but we want to share the calendars between them.
    After reading some posts here, we know office 365 can do above jobs. However after purchasing them, we noticed rather than using our own email address(@xxx.com), office provide different email account which is similar as @xxx.onmicrosoft.com.
    Now, the problem is how can we replace Microsoft email to be our own one. I noticed there is a post said we can change the DNS, but not much details on that post.
    We don't want to redirect the email server to office 365 since we still have other three very rarely used emails(e.g. [email protected]). Don't think its worthy to pay £9.8/month to receive 20 emails per month.
    Thanks in advance.

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 By: enjoylife Member since: Apr 7, 2011
  2. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Regular Free Member

109 24
    Hiya

What did Microsoft Support say about this when you asked them this question?

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  3. enjoylife

145 5
    Well, We did contact Microsoft couple of times. Taking 30 mins to wait and then somebody told us check their ''community forum''. Generally not helpful.

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 By: enjoylife Member since: Apr 7, 2011
  4. forevergroup

forevergroup UKBF Contributor Full Member

76 9
    There are quite a few items to address here, beyond the scope of DIY I think.

You would clearly benefit from having a Microsoft Partner like us to provide some configuration support for you.

We bill directly for O365 and can also help if you need any peripheral services e.g. email security and backup.

To clarify some confusion, you do not need to pay a license for shared mailboxes. So you don’t need to worry about paying extra to move your [email protected] over etc. Unless this needed to be a full Microsoft 365 ‘user’ for some reason.

You’re therefore going to have a much easier experience if you move over to O365 as your primary email service. We can configure the DNS and even migrate old emails over for you.

Please do send me a PM and we can have a chat.

All the best...

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 By: forevergroup Member since: Sep 12, 2020
  5. WESH.UK

109 24
    Was worried you might say that. We have had similar abismal support from MS...

6. forevergroup

76 9
    Everyone has had abysmal support from MS on occasion, including us. They’re not geared for direct SMB support. Reach out to a local partner.

7. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,652 4,526
    Slight whiff of tinned meat product!

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  8. forevergroup

76 9
    I’m not sure who is spamming? OP clearly needs Microsoft Partner support.

To OP, there is no need to cancel anything at this stage so don’t worry about that.

You have the annual commitment pricing from Microsoft and we can still support you just as well even if you bought the licenses from Microsoft directly. We can always take over billing before your annual renewal date.

Send me a private message or use my email address in signature. We can send you a delegated admin request so that we can have a look at the your Microsoft account directly, and I’ll happily provide some advice for free and suggest next steps. Not a problem.

9. WESH.UK

109 24
    How about putting him in touch with somebody at Microsoft who will actually help, rather than trying to take his money?

10. forevergroup

76 9
    You clearly don’t know Microsoft very well.

And in case you missed it, OP only has five users and has already signed a 1 year commitment with Microsoft direct for the licensing so our revenue from any support would clearly be negligible.

It’s clearly a challenge for you, but if you’re going to troll people who ask for help on the forum (or those of us that offer it) at least please try to keep up. It’s not even Friday yet.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  11. WESH.UK

109 24
    Spmming and insulting.. Quite the sales pitch.

You have just given anybody who ever see's this many reasons never to want to deal with you if this is how you talk to people. Such a pleasant chap to engage with.

12. forevergroup

76 9
    I think you’ll find that anyone reading this thread will be seeing OP ask for help deploying a Microsoft product, a Microsoft Partner offering assistance, and you trolling. Good job.

Feel free to embarrass yourself further, but I won’t be adding further comment. I will provide some assistance to OP.

13. Marty-101

Marty-101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    Hi,

I may have missed a load here, but your problem seems simple.

1) You have three individuals, right? thats 3 x licences.

2) You have several email addresses, sales, info, etc - in O365, you create these as 'shared' mailboxes, delegate access to them from one of the above accounts. You can have as many as you want, you only pay for user accounts that access them (point 1).

3) Its best to setup up O365 properly. have it as your mail-server and follow the wizards for DNS, and security features.

So for example you have;

- Bill
    - Jane
    - Joe

You setup [email protected] as a shared mailbox (no licence needed), and allow access to Bill, Jane, Joe. If you only want Bill to send emails from [email protected], this is O.K, the permissions allow this.

All in all - if you have three users, you pay for three licences. You can have as many shared mailboxes and aliases as you want. You have 5 licences, so you can have up to 5 users (actual people). It'd be classed as bad practice (in my opinion) to be purchasing or been sold a licence for role based email, such as sales/info/legal/etc.

WWW docs.#microsoft#.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/email/about-shared-mailboxes?view=o365-worldwide

For reference. You can follow this to convert.

WWW docs.#microsoft.#com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/email/convert-user-mailbox-to-shared-mailbox?view=o365-worldwide

I will second the opinion, MS don't care for SMB support - this is down to partners/service providers. In fact, where I work we have over 8K licences and getting direct support is still hard without going via a reseller.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 By: Marty-101 Member since: Feb 26, 2019
  14. enjoylife

145 5
    Updated: With a help from Marty-101, O365 has been setup properly here. Thank you all who contribute on this post.

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 By: enjoylife Member since: Apr 7, 2011
  15. fc-ramon

fc-ramon UKBF Contributor Free Member

73 14
    Good to hear you're all sorted out!

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020