Office 365 - 1&1 compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NECness

Free Member
Jun 8, 2012
So with a new laptop I decided to take the plunge and purchase Office 365.

I've been trying to set it up and I contacted Microsoft forums who offered advice and sent me links which I've followed but the stumbling block came when one of the articles says that Office 365 is not compatible with 1&1 and therefore to verify the domain you have to create sub domains within 1&1.

Just feeling that every time I try to set it up something else crops up and Microsoft's advice seems confusing at best. I see on 1&1 that there's a help article to create sub domains however before I go down that long route is there another way to get round the 1&1 problem? I'm seriously considering moving my domains with 1&1 to my hosting company to make things easier at this stage.

Any suggestions - my ultimate goal is that I no longer have to pay 1&1 for their email storage and can make full use of Office 365 mail instead.

ffox

Free Member
Mar 11, 2004
Cornwall
ffox.biz
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused here. You say that 1&1 is not compatible with O365, yet a quick look at the 1&1 website shows that they actually sell O365.

Not that it matters much as you can either attach your 1&1 mail to O365 Outlook if it is a POP3/IMAP and SMTP setup, or if not just forward 1&1 mail to your new Outlook address.

You can get the 1&1 POP/IMAP and SMTP settings here -
http://help.1and1.co.uk/mail-c65093...-mail-clients-using-imap-or-pop3-a619070.html

Just configure Outlook to collect and send via these servers.

You can do this for either or both Outlook client and Outlook webmail

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

NECness

Free Member
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks according to Microsoft you have to set up sub domains. I'm not allowed to post links but I quote:

"Note that 1&1 Internet doesn’t allow a domain to have both an MX record and a top-level Autodiscover CNAME record. This limits the ways in which you can configure Exchange Online for Office 365. There is a workaround, but we recommend employing it only if you already have experience with creating subdomains at 1&1 Internet."

I used to have the way you've suggested but as I need Office 365 now I don't want to pay for both email services hence needing to forward it completely via the MX records.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
Sep 12, 2006
Aldershot
www.aerin.co.uk
Why not just bin the useless 1and1 and get a decent host.

Upvote 0

ffox

Free Member
Mar 11, 2004
Cornwall
ffox.biz
I used to have the way you've suggested but as I need Office 365 now I don't want to pay for both email services hence needing to forward it completely via the MX records.

Okay. So migrate the domain and MX record to O365 and as @fisicx says bin 1&1 altogether.

Upvote 0

ffox

Free Member
Mar 11, 2004
Cornwall
ffox.biz
Upvote 0

Alan

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Often not understood by many - but email hosting, website hosting, domain name registry and Names server ( DNS settings ) are all separate things and can go anywhere with any provider, separately.

The issue you have is your DNS ( name servers ) on 1&1 (MX records are a DNS) record, simplest solution is to move your DNS to a proper service. For non techy probably the easiest is move it to CloudFlare.

Upvote 0

NECness

Free Member
Jun 8, 2012
Many thanks for the replies, really appreciate it....

I spoke to Microsoft yesterday and they were unable to help me. I had suggested that it might be better getting hold of a copy of office and using outlook as I have done before and they agreed it might be worth cutting my loses and doing that...:mad:

Anyway he did say try Vidahost which I did and they have been great. Fisicx I agree I'm going to move the domains, just waiting to see if 1&1 can offer any refund on my various services before transferring them to Vidahost. It'll be better to have everything in one place.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
Sep 12, 2006
Aldershot
www.aerin.co.uk
Reactions: Dan_HiHosting
Upvote 0

NECness

Free Member
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks Fisicx. I doubt they will but thought i'd ask as my renewal was March.

As for Vidahost I know that was a concern in my industry that they'd been bought out but so far they've been alright and I can't move my hosting as I've got a long contract with them. If they get really bad then I will but as they've been the only ones who could even try and untangle the Office 365 maze I was wading through with their quick online support I'm inclined to continue with them.

Upvote 0
Ok understand that. There are a lot of people who think they know what they are doing with this kind of thing and they really don't. I have been working with Office 365 before it was called that!

Make sure you get all the DNS records setup including the SPF record.

Upvote 0

Alan

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
The issue is simply the limitation on the DNS facilities at 1&1. The solution is simple to move the name servers to a decent DNS service ( e.g. Amazon Route 56, Google Cloud DNS are cheap paid for services, CloudFlare will do the job for free ).

No need to move domains or even hosting, both are irrelevant to DNS ( as per my previous post - they are all separate and distinct )

Upvote 0

webhostuk

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
UK
www.webhostuk.co.uk
Anyway he did say try Vidahost which I did and they have been great. Fisicx I agree I'm going to move the domains, just waiting to see if 1&1 can offer any refund on my various services before transferring them to Vidahost. It'll be better to have everything in one place.

I dont feel you will receive any refund from 1and1, yes you are right always better to have things at one place to avoid the anymore issues with different providers.

Upvote 0

Rob Ellis

Free Member
Jun 30, 2017
Assuming you need 1and1 for web hosting, you could keep them just for that, and point your nameservers at 365 - so basically all the DNS management is done through 365.

That said, I have customers using 365 fine with DNS still on 1and1 - it isn't impossible, just awkward because you have to configure the subdomains.

Let me know if you need some assistance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu