Nursery startup costs?

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by Yasin1984, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yasin1984

Yasin1984 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I currently work as a teacher and would like to quit in order to start up my own nursery business. Does anyone have any idea what the start up cost might be? Id be looking at starting with about 20 children.

Any advice would be appreciated

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 By: Yasin1984 Member since: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

14,047 2,993
    I would think premises would be the biggest expense, either to buy or rent. Then there is the cost of any conversion work.

You will need staff to start with so you would need to have money to pay their wages from week one before income started to build up.

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,869 1,500
    speak to your local council find out what criteria you need to fulfill to run a nursery and then work out the costs of setting up and running a nursery based on their critieria.

also factor in marketing costs.

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  4. businessfunding

businessfunding Guest

0 0
    The advice I always give, get your hands on a cash flow spreadsheet and use this as a guide to what costs you need to be considering

From experience this isn't a very lucrative business - many are run from freehold premises with the capital gain being the premises themselves

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 By: businessfunding Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. Latebloomer

Latebloomer UKBF Regular Full Member

217 20
    As a teacher I would assume that you like children.

Perhaps try to gain experience first by working in a nursery itself. Don't give up your daytime job as I don't think it nursery earns a great deal of money.

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 By: Latebloomer Member since: Mar 3, 2012
  6. XLIN.Ltd

XLIN.Ltd UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

84 9
    Hello Yasin1984,

The starting point would be to see http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/ where you will find Day Nurseries for Sale and those sold recently, relevant news and rules and regulations for nurseries.

You may also wish to download National Standards for Daycare available at http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/46973696.PDF

Government web site NIDirect.Gov.UK also provides relevant information at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/day-nurseries

Hope this helps you with enough information to take the next step towards setting up your own Nursery.

All the Best!

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 By: XLIN.Ltd Member since: Apr 22, 2013
  7. sebsuma

sebsuma UKBF Newcomer Free Member

73 8
    Do nursery's make that much money? It seems very odd to go from a teacher to working in a nursery. Then its really not my business so I wont question you. The startup cost will be calculated by looking at your rent, staff wages (yes you will need staff if there are 20 children there at a time), electric, food etc I know things like electric my not seem like a startup cost it will be because remember that you cant plan to make any money for at least 3 months let alone a profit. This is how most people plan their project scope anyway. As a guess I would say at least 30k but it could be more.

Posted: Sep 16, 2013 By: sebsuma Member since: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Brandscribe

Brandscribe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 2
    I think if you scale it up right, a nursery could make a fair bit of cash. friends of mine send their daughter to a nursery and it costs them £750 p/m, she is one of 20 kids in her group, and they have 5 or 6 of these groups (of varying ages) split across two adjoining buildings. Admittedly there will be sizeable staff and premises costs, but even as a conservative estimate this place has got to be turning over close to a million a year, even with 4 or 5 staff to each group and mortgage payments, I'd say there has to be a decent enough profit in that. Nursery staff don't earn a fortune I'm sure.

Best of luck

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 By: Brandscribe Member since: Sep 5, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.