Note to all: Avoid Upwork.com and Freelancer sites

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Davidmott, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Davidmott

Davidmott UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    I get numerous upon numerous clients come to me from all over the place needing help after getting poor results outsourcing on freelancing websites. It seems that the low prices and aggressive advertising from these platforms pull in a lot of entrepreneurs and startups only to end up with sob stories and a lot of headache for the next developer/designer.

I am currently fixing an app that a client spent 5K on with an agency abroad after being promised it would be similar to Shpock but instead was given a broken template.

I figured everyone already knew this about online freelancer sites, but it keeps happening! Please be diligent people.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: Davidmott Member since: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,902 1,626
    So is it those sites or the suppliers of services on those sites to avoid?

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Davidmott

Davidmott UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    Well, the situation i mentioned in the post was from a perspective of avoiding suppliers of services. However, I would go as far as to say both as a quick google search will also inform you of the experiences suppliers have from using the platforms. So those supplying services and those seeking services should do some research before considering going forward! I hope this helps : )

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: Davidmott Member since: Apr 19, 2019
  4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

342 65
    You can find good and bad on any freelancing site, just as you can by any other means. People who give work to overseas developers based on low cost and big promises deserve to be disappointed.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  5. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,156 4,226
    I spend a fair amount of my time fixing nonsense created by others.

It seems to fall under the age old adage:

Buy cheap - buy twice.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,357 8,923
    I found a brilliant developer on a freelancer site. We have now been working together for a number of years.

There are good people, you just have to do due diligence before committing.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Bronco78th

Bronco78th UKBF Contributor Free Member

50 3
    I have used 'people per hour' for a few things. (logo, database, some eminor software work) generally a fine experience with the developers ive worked with going above and beyond. It does help of course if you dangle the carrot and let them know you are actually willing to pay a fair price for good work as opposed to simply going for the cheapest and expect the earth from them.

As has been said its a 2 way house.

Only iffy experience was a guy who offered to do a job for a price that I knew was worth more....I went in low as you do...but was willing to raise...we agreed the price and I made the payment etc before I got a message from him asking me to cancel my payment through PPH and do a direct transfer to his Paypal account. I reported him and he was removed from the site quickly and PPH refunded my money swiftly.

Otherwise happy to continue using the the site....as with everything online...be careful and if you dont take the piss its less likely you will get burned.

Not tried Upwork or any of the other sites.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: Bronco78th Member since: Sep 1, 2017
  8. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,385 360
    Avoid eBay as well as I once bought something from China which turned out to be the wrong size.
    Avoid Amazon too - the number of sellers on there there's bound to be some who are trying to be cheap.
    Avoid buying property in London as I once knew a guy who got stung on a valuation.

Avoid everything. Someone has likely had a bad experience at some point.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  9. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,158 913
    I believe the term is ‘shooting the messenger’

I use fiverr lots, and have had more good than bad experiences

However the broad advice would be never, ever buy on price if you don’t fully understand the product ( this goes for well-known price comparison sites too)

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Andy Harris

Andy Harris UKBF Contributor Full Member

85 14
    It's a broad brush to say 'avoid upwork and freelancer sites'.

We've spent huge sums with people on Upwork and have always been happy.

The problem lies in the lack of experience specifying the job and managing the resources on those sites.

Admittedly, if you go for the lowest hourly rate you may get burnt but equally, we've had some brilliant results from people who charge lower rates.

The trick is: test them with something and then evolve the relationship.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Andy Harris Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  11. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

564 98
    Sound advice as always

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  12. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,161 290
    Seconded. We have recently done this through PPH - been successful (well, so far... I think...); will probably send more work to that person.

On a related note, what, if any, PPH rules would prevent same contractor doing additional work for same business outside PPH? Doesn't seem there could be any constraint if the initial work item listed on PPH had been completed and paid for, and subsequent work was not contracted through PPH.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  13. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,357 8,923
    That’s what I did. Initial job was through PPH then after delivery we discussed a new project over Skype and never used PPH again.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 12
    I have found upwork to be a very reliable source of freelancing talent. The key is to be careful and do your checks before committing. I understand your point of view though.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  15. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Regular Full Member

311 87
    The main problem with these sites is buyers not being able to communicate - and in many cases not even understanding - what they're trying to buy.

Freelancers then reply to every request, saying they can do the job for USD1 and try to unravel the request later.

I've bought services via freelancers on PPH and it definitely works better when you can present a spec for the freelancer to respond to.

Seconded.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 5:51 PM By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  16. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Regular Free Member

230 26
    I’ve got a girl in India who does our graphics and illustration work for peanuts.

Guy in London does our Ltd Co accounts each year for £140.

Both on PPH and were chosen by looking at feedback, not price.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:48 PM By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  17. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Regular Free Member

194 44
    And, long may it continue! - Much of my work involves 'Fixing' projects after a client has trawled the Bargain Basement, only to leave disappointed!

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 11:10 PM By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018