Not sure about a domain name . I Need your opinion

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by faisalhaji, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faisalhaji

faisalhaji UKBF Newcomer

25 0
    Hi folks
    I am not looking for a feedback on the website or business. Just I am not sure about the DN if it's the right one.

I am trying to establish it as a free property listings - sort of Gumtree + airB&B -
    myresidentialspace[dot][co][uk].

Just need your opinion on whether is it a bit long? and whether it's worth branding.

I've done a bit of work and SEO on this DN so if I find out it's not that bad, I will just keep using it.
    Thank you.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: faisalhaji Member since: Sep 28, 2017
  2. Dave Tidwell

Dave Tidwell UKBF Newcomer

16 2
    It is somewhat arbitrary - but the name of the root domain does play a tiny part in your overall SEO strategy. Search engines have about 430+ scoring elements, the URL is one of them. It has a marginal impact on SEO if anything.

So, focus your efforts around;

• Is it easy to type? (especially on mobile devices?). Short and snappy is best
    • Is it easy to remember?
    • Is it easy to create appropriate presence on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn with or around it? For example, I have a colleague who set up a small business as "Embrace Cloud Applications" - it doesn't roll off the tongue does it. But, the name became mbr8c on twitter as a play on the 'embrace' part
    • Is it colloquial - you don't want the URL to be part of another phrase, product or brand that will stop people finding you by typing out your name as they forgot to bookmark your site on their first visit (you'll be amazed how many people don't bookmark, but just use Google as an instant bookmarker as they know the shortcut searches to find their favourite sites
    • Is it unique?
    • Does it reinforce your brand and strategy?
    • Does it relate to the intended outcomes for your target audience?
    Fair bit to think about, eh?

Best of luck

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: Dave Tidwell Member since: Sep 26, 2017
  3. tukhnet

tukhnet UKBF Newcomer

47 3
    If you are looking only for organic traffic then it doesn't matter how long it is and if it is easy to remember.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: tukhnet Member since: Dec 8, 2016
  4. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Big Shot

1,403 169
    As suggested its more of SEO and content you will put on your domain, the more engaging your website the more traffic you get.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  5. faisalhaji

faisalhaji UKBF Newcomer

25 0
    Thank you guys for your feedback
    I had before quite long three words domain name for one sector ( security) and it did and still doing very good in organic search and Google.
    This domain has to refer to many sectors: house sales, flat, flat share, business premises,
    hosting as in airB&B, vacant properties - so right now I am thinking to use a name similar to zoopla or tepilo that won't restrict the business model of the website.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: faisalhaji Member since: Sep 28, 2017
  6. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    It's too long, in my opinion, to achieve what you want.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: Darren C Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  7. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    Yes get a short one with a random made up name.

If you are happy with .co.uk as you are not going global there are lots of 5 letter one.

e.g. rabal.co.uk which you could pretend means rent and buy and let for instance

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sam Drury

Sam Drury UKBF Contributor

65 10
    I would disagree, one of my rival company ranks well for only one key word which makes up their domain name. Their site is a mess with their blog periodically hacked and filled with Spam. They rank badly for every other relevant keyword apart from the one used in their domain name.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: Sam Drury Member since: Sep 15, 2017
  9. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    Or rabal.uk even better ;)

10. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    You may be right, in principal, but the example given isn't really a keyword in the sense anyone is actually going to type it in to the search bar.

11. RobertN

RobertN UKBF Newcomer

78 7
    As long as you market it properly and everyone can spell it / sounds not bad then should be fine. Now solid names are popular and this one sounds just like that for me.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 By: RobertN Member since: Jul 12, 2017
  12. faisalhaji

faisalhaji UKBF Newcomer

25 0
    Thank you guys
    Lot of brainstorming all night and ended up with spacehooter - the com and uk

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 By: faisalhaji Member since: Sep 28, 2017
  13. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    It's different and quite quirky. Not sure it works for me as I'd keep thinking it was spaceshooter.

spacehooter feels like two words. Spaceshooter is easier to say and even google thinks I should be searching for space shooter

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.