Norther Ireland Protocol DDP Who Declares to HMRC

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Sparetoolparts, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Sparetoolparts

Sparetoolparts UKBF Regular Full Member

415 39
    Hi Guys

Anyone dealing with Import declarations into NI from GB. I'm using Incoterms DDP and the courier being used for the exports to NI is DPD.

I know they will carryout the export declarations for GB supplier but I was wondering under DDP will they also carryout my Import declarations as well for me? Or will I need my own intermediary to do this for me?

I've already received my first delivery from DPD of 50+ items so I'd be keen to get on top of this before they start to pile up on me

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 By: Sparetoolparts Member since: Oct 26, 2015
  2. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,755 1,283
    I must have had my head in the sand here - but I've not even heard about importing declarations from UK to Northern Ireland as Northern Ireland IS the UK? Northern Ireland and Great Britain are different entities, but have I missed an entire massive change that means sending goods to Northern Ireland from England is now a foreign transaction? I've not filled in any customs declarations for goods being sent to NI and nobody, or any web service has asked for any? Clearly I've missed something very important here?

EDIT
    Clearly I've had my head in the sand. It's going to be a big learning curve for me as I go in and out of NI a couple of times each year with a load of equipment. It never occurred to me that something previously so simple was about to get complicated - I have a lot to read, it seems.

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Sparetoolparts

415 39
    Welcome to my world!!!

As it stands NI will ship to the UK and Europe and the world as before fulfilling Johnston's promise of unfetted access for NI to GB Markets. What he failed to mention was that it wasn't a two way street. as anything coming in from GB to NI will need to exported and the details of what is being sent submitted to HMRC. Once it arrives here I believe I have a month and 7 days to submit import declarations as well.

But I can use an agent/intermediary to do this for me, I was hoping this intermediary would be DPD since they are already doing it for the export (my GB supplier) then why not the import too.

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 By: Sparetoolparts Member since: Oct 26, 2015
  4. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,755 1,283
    I actually appreciate your topic, because I genuinely had missed all this and I'm due to go to NI in May, then again later in the year and I'll have loads of kit with me. I've looked at the website and am totally confused. I do quite a few shows normally in NI, and just get on the ferry with a van, do them, then come home and I had not realised this was no longer possible, and NI was effectively a foreign country! I've started a new topic to see if anyone can help me - sorry for hijackimng your topic here, but I'm damn glad you posted it!

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Sparetoolparts

415 39
    Latest info I've received is:
    • If you are a Northern Ireland based business receiving goods valued at £135 or more you must submit a declaration within three months of receiving the goods. Businesses will be able to use the Government’s free Trader Support Service to do so. Further information on this delayed declaration can be found in the Government’s guidance.
    But what I'm not 100% certain on is the £135 per item in the parcel or the total value of all the items in the parcel. As if under £135 i'll be ok and not need to declare as just about everything I buy and sell is over £100.

Thoughts on this?

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: Sparetoolparts Member since: Oct 26, 2015