Ecommerce Forum Brought to you by i-bidder.com

Nochex Reviews.

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by ChocolateFactory, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChocolateFactory

ChocolateFactory UKBF Newcomer Free Member

39 6
    Hi there,

I'm looking at a merchant account for my site, and Nochex seems to be the best bet while I'm small, as it looks like there are no monthly or setup fees - is this the case?

Has anyone else here used them? Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 By: ChocolateFactory Member since: Sep 15, 2011
  2. chalkie99

chalkie99 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

790 235
    We used to offer a choice of PayPal and NoChex.

No-one ever chose NoChex so we dropped it in favour of Google Checkout. Our split is now about 60/40 in favour of google.

NoChex offer a free set up but the maximum transaction charge is £100 so no use if you sell higher value items.

They have a minimum fee of £50 set up for their merchant account to free yourself of that £100 limit but charge more for small turnovers or riskier trades.

Having said that, they were promoting a free set up a month or so ago - might be worth phoning to haggle.

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 By: chalkie99 Member since: Nov 14, 2008
  3. ChocolateFactory

39 6
    Thanks very much for that.

Does it act as a merchant account, or is it more like paypal?

4. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    Nochex kept the first £1000 from my sales as a retainer, i wasn't happy when i told them i wanted to close the account it took me almost 7 months to get my money from them.

Just be careful :eek:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    Posted: Sep 30, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  5. ChocolateFactory

39 6
    Sod that then, I'll have to have a look around a proper merchant account then.

6. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    yes as paypal and Nochex are not proper merchant accounts they can basically do what they like.

You can open a proper merchant account with little hassle nowdays, even Worldpay, Europes largest Payment processor is pretty good at opening accounts, I have 2 with them and although a tad dearer, you do get excellent value for money and a great service.
    You'll need a Streamline merchant Account first (Owned by Worldpay) and then get Worldpay to do the card processing bit for you.

Also your customers will see that you use worldpay, its a trust thing as they have an excellent reputation, compared with paypal and nochex

Do a google and see 1. Streamline 2 Worldpay

Good luck ;)

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  7. WebTrust

WebTrust UKBF Newcomer Free Member

464 69
    I've used them for 6 years, been very good.

Merchant account has no set up fee, but 50 deposit until you close down the account, to defend against charge backs.

The checkout process unlike paypal is fully customisable and other than being nochex website will look very similar to your own.

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 By: WebTrust Member since: Jun 24, 2011
  8. buygifts

buygifts UKBF Newcomer Free Member

66 10
    Nochex transaction limits are not set at £100 for merchant accounts. My transaction limit was higher when I joined and have not had any problems with them retaining funds nor did they ask for a deposit.

Unfortunately the majority of people prefer to pay by Paypal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 By: buygifts Member since: Aug 23, 2011
  9. raineshoe

raineshoe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

262 40
    I have used Nochex for 5 years and have no complaints. I find most customers use Paypal, but more and more are now using Nochex to pay with their credit card. If I have had to contact Nochex at any time they have also been fairly efficient at dealing with my problem. Having said that its only been about 3 times in 5 years I've contacted them and two of them were my own fault!!

Incidentally, you can have the maximum charge altered if you discuss with them your requirements. We had ours upped as we had someone in Thailand wanting to pay and their order was £120.00. They upped our allowance and also have added countries that we sell to at our request.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Posted: Apr 12, 2012 By: raineshoe Member since: Mar 16, 2006
  10. a1anm

a1anm UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

726 79
    I tried signing up for NoChex. Went through the process including them debiting money from my back account so I could activate my account. After a few days I still couldn't log in. When I asked why they said they where doing additional compliance checks. They then asked for contact details of a number of my suppliers. Sent this and then nothing.

I emailed a couple of times and they said they where still carrying out checks. After 2 months of this I just emailed and asked them to cancel the application and debit the money back to my account.

They did this but all in all it was a big waste of time.

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 By: a1anm Member since: Jan 29, 2011
  11. Spearmint

Spearmint UKBF Newcomer Free Member

622 84
    I was looking at Nochex's website today but I stumbled on this thread after trying to gauge how they are rated.

I copied in the above quote as I think it could possibly portray them unfairly. Of all the websites that I've looked at relating to this type of service, this is one of the better written ones. It does explain that they do impose a retained balance which they inform you of when you apply, but they outline that is generally between 5 and 15% of the monthly turnover. In terms of waiting 7 months to to get that retainer back, this information is in their t & c's, where they clearly state that they are obliged to hold that retainer for 180 days in case of chargebacks after the account is closed.

Presently, I haven't dismissed them from my shortlist.

Posted: Apr 29, 2012 By: Spearmint Member since: Sep 11, 2011
  12. faradaykeynes

faradaykeynes UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,636 467
    Nochex Absolute Rubish, dont waste your life plz

Posted: Apr 29, 2012 By: faradaykeynes Member since: Apr 19, 2012
  13. Spearmint

Spearmint UKBF Newcomer Free Member

622 84
    Any particular reason why?

There seems to be both good and bad reasons why you should or shouldn't buy something, as we all have different opinions, but if you fail to make a decision because of conflicting views, you end up buying nothing!

Posted: Apr 29, 2012 By: Spearmint Member since: Sep 11, 2011
  14. faradaykeynes

2,636 467
    their customer service is absolute rubish, security is crap, they are second version of paypal. Get Google checkout or card save for your business

Posted: Apr 29, 2012 By: faradaykeynes Member since: Apr 19, 2012
  15. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,669 262
    Hi faradaykeynes.

Are you able to answer Spearmint's question or are you just a troll?

Kind regards,
    - Peter

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  16. faradaykeynes

2,636 467
    Peter , I can only share my personal experience with Nochex , rest is up to individual to make decisions.
    Regards

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 By: faradaykeynes Member since: Apr 19, 2012
  17. dynamic08

dynamic08 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,895 89
    Second that do not bother with Nochex. Poor experience! Get your self a proper merchant account.

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 By: dynamic08 Member since: May 19, 2008
  18. downsouth

downsouth UKBF Ace Free Member

1,061 121
    Not had a problem with them myself and often our customers prefer them to PP

Certianly an option i'd put forward for newbie ecommerce sites before commiting to other payment gateways

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 By: downsouth Member since: May 16, 2008
  19. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,669 262
    faradaykeynes.

You have not shared your personal experience. If you have had a personal experience perhaps you could share it. How can any individual make up their mind on the basis of the comments you have made?

Best wishes,
    - Peter

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  20. faradaykeynes

2,636 467
    I had terrible experience with Nochex when i running my online IT business. I suggest stay away from it.

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 By: faradaykeynes Member since: Apr 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.