New to Wordpress

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by geg1700, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geg1700

geg1700 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

77 0
    Hi everyone. I currently have a website using weebly. It is definitely holding me back and i'm looking for something a lot more professional which will allow me to present my products better.

Is wordpress a lot more capable in terms of SEO compared to Weebly?

I'm struggling to set things up if i'm honest. Right now I have a domain name which I had to redirect to the weebly IP address that they game me (or something like that). So I am guessing I need to buy some hosting from somewhere as I think it was included with weebly.

I'm really confused at the moment. First I went to wordpress.com and found it was completely the wrong site. Wordpress.org was completely cofusing and I had no idea what to do.

Help please

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: geg1700 Member since: Nov 28, 2012
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,725 9,012
    Buy some hosting. It's pretty cheap wherever you go so just find someone you like and can trust.

Don't use one of those all you can eat fo £9.99 hosting providers. They are cheap beacuse support is often rubbsih or they are jsut a reseller.

Once you hosting is set up login to your control panel, hunt around for the 'install wordpress' link. They all have them somewhere.

Follow the onscreen istructions and you will have a site up and running less than 5 minutes later.

You can then come back and we can help you configure and make it look pretty.

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. geg1700

77 0
    Well could you recommend a good hosting provider which is reliable? I'd feel more comfortable buying from somewhere that is recommended to be good

thanks

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: geg1700 Member since: Nov 28, 2012
  4. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    Vidahost Basic £17+VAT a year.
    Don't know better.

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  5. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    Also: check out the "Effective Website Design" link in Fiscix's signature. Excellent (free) advice for anyone, especially those just starting.

(That's another wet kiss you owe me Fizzzix...):)

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  6. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,834 2,614
    Wordpress has a bit of a learning curve, so you may well make a hash of your first go. Don't worry, ditch it and start again if needs be.

Wordpress is really blogging software, though it can be used for websites. When you start it will default to being a blog, so a couple of key things to understand:

• The difference between a post and a page.
    • How to make the home page a page and not a blog post
    Sort those two things and you will build a website very easily.

Good luck!

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  7. stender

stender UKBF Regular Free Member

461 56
    I've got a few wordpress sites and tbh not a massive fan of it for seo. I do much better with hand coded sites.

If you want wordpress I would suggest themeforest.net where there are loads of very nice templates but make sure if buying one that you get one with decent support reviews.
    Alternatively buy a template from studiopress. They have a forum where you can get lots of help.

heres an example template I purchased from themeforest. looks nice but support was terrible. www.tenthings.co.uk
    Am I allowed to post this link?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008
  8. fisicx

30,725 9,012
    Wordpress stopped being blogging software years ago - but I agree it can be a steep learing curve for about an hour. After that it's pretty easy to do most things.
    Only if you don't intend making any changes to the theme. There are far better themes you can download for free from WordPress all of which you can edit and mangle.

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Hoppimike

Hoppimike UKBF Newcomer Free Member

65 7
    I would say Wordpress (or maaaaayyyybe Joomla/Drupal) for what you might consider "normal" websites (company information, events, and so on), OpenCart for online stores... Wordpress is of course better for a blog.

It really depends on the exact nature of the site. As for SEO, anything that gives you true control over your site like any of the above options will give you true control over the SEO!!

Most of them are entirely free for basic use and very simple to set up (download zip file, upload, go to install directory, things like that).

If you want any further help feel free to ask or PM me or whatever :)

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: Hoppimike Member since: Feb 28, 2013
  10. guru365

guru365 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    I'm a big fan of Wordpress and WordPress.com has pretty much taken the 'software' aspects of a 'website' away. I use it to post information and findings but I can definitely see how you could create pages in a more website fashion.
    It is a very simple system and I highly recommend WordPress.com if you are unsure of you 'abilities' as a techie. It's free to sign up so would be worth a shot or a look at least.

Cheers

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: guru365 Member since: Aug 22, 2013
  11. stender

stender UKBF Regular Free Member

461 56
    OP implied they weren't wordpress savvy.

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008
  12. geg1700

77 0
    I've bought some hosting from Vidahost and i'm in the process of transferring my domain name to them etc in order to start using wordpress. (I've installed it)

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 By: geg1700 Member since: Nov 28, 2012
  13. esantanche

esantanche UKBF Contributor Full Member

41 3
    I have a few sites built using Wordpress.

You buy your hosting and install Wordpress from there.

You can build an entire Wordpress website never writing a single post. You write only static pages.

You need many plugins:

Akismet to stop spam

Broken Link Checker to know if a link from your website points nowhere

CopyLink (optional) to automatically add a signature when someone copies some text from your website to paste in somewhere else

Cron GUI - this one is quite technical, the problem is that Wordpress may ignore your scheduled backup commands or your pre-scheduled posts; you can safely ignore this if your website is a low-traffic one

Google XML Sitemaps - automatically let Google know about changes in your website

W3 Total Cache - this is a nightmare; use WP Super Cache instead, it's simpler. Anyway, you need a cache, google hates slow websites. Use PageSpeed Insights by Google (I can't paste the link) to know if your website is fast enough. BTW you will need CDN from Amazon CloudFront for instance.

WP-DBManager to backup your database. There are other plugins to backup your website, some don't work.

Platinum SEO Pack - of course you need a SEO plugin but SEO is a lot of stuff to do. The best is to do it properly since the very first page you put online. Even the domain name should be chosen using SEO criteria.

Good luck

Posted: Aug 31, 2013 By: esantanche Member since: Aug 27, 2013
  14. fisicx

30,725 9,012
    Akismet to stop spam. Already installed with wordpress but can't be used commercially.

Broken Link Checker. A resource sink. You don't need this unless you have zillions of outbound links.

CopyLink (optional) not needed and doesn't actually work that well.

Cron GUI. not needed

Google XML Sitemaps Really not needed. XML sitemaps are only useful for ever changing site with hard to find pages

W3 Total Cache - Pointless. A well built site doesn't need this

WP-DBManager - Your host should be backing up your site.

Platinum SEO Pack - You already have Yoast. In any case, for your small site George you probably don't need an SEO plugin.

Focus on the site. Get the products displaying properly and make sure it's easy to buy them (not just downloads). Experiment with lots of different themes until you find one that works (which is not the same as one that look good).

Posted: Sep 1, 2013 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.