New Startup - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by SustainableKate, Apr 5, 2019.

1. SustainableKate

SustainableKate UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 2
    Hi All,

Happy Friday.

I am working on starting my own home textiles e-commerce business at the moment, and would love any advice people can provide to help me with, e.g things you wished you had known.

Thank You,
    Kate

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 By: SustainableKate Member since: Apr 5, 2019
  2. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic UKBF Regular Full Member

324 140
    Hi @SustainableKate, welcome and congratulations for taking the jump and starting your business. You won't regret it.

Just a few quick things to mention here when starting your business:

1. Research and identify your perfect customer
    2. Be laser-guided with your marketing. Target all your emails, copy and creative towards them
    3. Use your products to start conversations and inspire them
    4. Get people onto your email list first. Sell to them second.
    5. Your existing customers are your best and easiest source of income
    6. Keep your website clean and simple. Don't confuse with too many choices.
    7. Don't spread yourself too thin. Be great at one or two things. You don't need 500 products to generate good revenue. Keep your product catalogue slimline.
    8. Ignore price. It's irrelevant if you are trying to create a brand. (Google the Beardbrand founder's post on Reddit and follow his lead)
    9. Only collaborate with people who share your beliefs
    10. Collaborate with people to piggy-back on their audiences
    11. Build something of value on your own site. Make your blog and hugely valuable resource. Focus on your own site more than social media. Social media has limited research.
    12. The return from email marketing is many times better than social media. Don't ignore social but don't rely on it either. It's unpredictable.
    13. Talk to your customer. Phone or email. Get to know them.
    14. Know your VIPs like your friends. Treat them like royalty. Surprise and delight them.
    15. Excel at customer service. Bend over backwards.
    16. Collect as many customer reviews as possible.
    17. Ask your customers for input on future products. They will love to be involved and make / design what they want, not what you think they will like.
    18. Don't talk about your products all the time. Solve the problems of your customers.
    19. Tell your customers your story and be personable. Show your face. People like that.
    20. Make your packaging first class. Add little touches that they won't expect, like a hand-written thank you note. They will tell others and become loyal.
    I hope that helps.

Matt

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
  3. YourCloudAccountant

YourCloudAccountant UKBF Contributor Full Member

76 6
    I wish I knew more about how to market an online business; had no idea what SEO was and how to use adverts (wasted 100s)- you can learn so much about these on the internet. I am still learning so would be keen for someone to share a link to DIY seo websites.

Also, don't pay for basic SEO as they will charge a lot but its all simple stuff. Only pay when they guarantee you a high spot - which again costs alot!

Look forward to other posts and best of luck

Posted: May 4, 2019 By: YourCloudAccountant Member since: May 4, 2019
  4. Charles Rice

Charles Rice UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 5
    I think you have got sufficient recommendation, I just wanna say one thing "analyze the market thoroughly" wherever your business will be categorized.

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: Charles Rice Member since: Apr 19, 2019
  5. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,332 2,097
    Hi Kate
    Can you expand on "home textiles e-commerce business" as it covers a wide range of potential idea's maybe clarify the main idea

With most textiles especially e-commerce sites, then sizing is the most likely problem, so you need to treat every person as a potential idiot and make extra clear what your sizes actually mean, if for instance its womens clothing you need to supply actual measurements for bust, waist, hips, length of item

You also need to consider your terms and conditions are within the consumer and distant selling regs, returns can be a killer, we used to expect 10% returns on womens clothing and this was workwear, other get far higher percentages also lots are worn once and returned or tried on with heavy makeup on and returned

One area if its just textiles is the modern full width colour printers where you design your own fabric or make for other people can be a good industry but expensive on inks and printers expensive£20K and upwards

Read google's own suggestions on SEO its a good guide and use good descriptions and first class images

Best of luck

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003