General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

New Shop Premises

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by mpollard, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpollard

mpollard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 1
    Hi Everyone,

I have been lingering round the forums for a few years but I haven't really posted a whole lot in this time and now I am looking for a little advice and I hope some of you can help.

We have been running our business online for over 5 years and we are looking to expand and we are looking to rent our first retail unit. We are currently in a office/storage space but we have outgrown the site and our landlord can no longer help us. We have to travel 30-40 minutes per day, which we hate doing at the moment.

A shop, very near to our home has just come up, it is plenty big enough, the rent is similar to what we are paying now (but I know I can get cheaper space elsewhere) It is in a bit of a state. It was abandoned by the previous tenant who ran off without paying the rent they owed.

What should I expect from the landlord in terms of the finish of the property? Currently it is full of the previous tenants shop fittings, which the landlord has said they will remove. But the wiring/electrics looks like a bit of a mess, there are two boarded up back doors that are screwed shut. The toilet is out through the backdoor and inside another door - we didn't even see this on our first viewing.

Any advice would be useful - we are pretty bad at negotiating so the plan is to hire both a Commercial Surveyor and a Solicitor to help with the process.

We haven't really ever ran from a shop space but it would work well for our business as we can run classes and possibly even incorporate a tea/coffee shop.

I look forward to reading any of your input.
    Thanks

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 By: mpollard Member since: Mar 30, 2013
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,619 1,319
    What is the current rent and how does it compare to other property in the area?

Are you negotiating a new lease, if so for how long?

I would, at the very least request the landlord to make sure the property is empty, clean, dry and secure.

Do not get involved (if possible) with a dilapidation clause.

Get a competent solicitor to advise you correctly on all aspects of the lease and your responsibilities.

Good luck.

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. mpollard

mpollard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 1
    The rent seems fairly typical, I will try to get it a bit cheaper. It would be a new lease and the agent started by saying they wanted 10 years but it became clear that we wouldn't have trouble asking for 3 or 5 years.

It should be emptied soon but they have given the previous tenants notice to collect their stock/fittings but this is unlikely as they owe rent. I guess the trouble we have is that I cannot really view the property in full until it is empty.

What are the requirements on the landlord for the electric/wiring? Should they be providing us with it tested or is that our responsibility?

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 By: mpollard Member since: Mar 30, 2013
  4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,619 1,319
    Electric must be correctly installed and certified as should any of the other utilities.

Don't be rushed in to signing anything, until you are sure everything is right for you.

A 2 or 3 year lease is probably about right, given your business experience, but ensure the lease is within the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954, which enables you to renew your lease, unless the landlord requires it for his own personal use.

Get a solicitor involved when things become clear.

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  5. BristolBiz

BristolBiz UKBF Regular Free Member

184 61
    I'd post this on the Retail section - you'll get good advice there

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 By: BristolBiz Member since: Nov 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.