General Business Forum Brought to you by Square

New Scam - Company Hijacking

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by autolycus, Mar 9, 2005.

1. autolycus

autolycus UKBF Regular Free Member

273 0
    Hi,

I received a warning from my accountant yesterday that I thought might be worth sharing with you all:
    Any one else heard about this or fallen victim to it?

Dave.

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 By: autolycus Member since: Mar 4, 2005
  2. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,130 518
    Yes we've heard of it.

The strange part is that it happens because people file paper copies of the returns whereas filing online is protected. This is a turnup as it is usually the other way round.

What an excellent commercially minded accountant you have though. Wish I'd thought of charging my clients for that service.(In fact didnt realise that you could get companies house to e mail you any changes made to selected companies........................Ozzy can you elaborate on this service?)

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 By: Alpha Member since: Feb 16, 2004
  3. autolycus

autolycus UKBF Regular Free Member

273 0
    Yes, it seems like a good idea. I haven't looked into it, but presumably there is a charge for registering for these email updates and my acct is simply signing up for that and adding a mark-up to it.

Personally, I'd rather just take a quick look at the Companies House website myself once a week to make sure the registered office is still correct, but for those with less time/inclination the email updates either direct or via the accountant are probably quite handy.

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 By: autolycus Member since: Mar 4, 2005
  4. Ozzy

Ozzy Quite simply, me. Full Member - Verified Business

3,401 157
    He He - Now here comes a sneak peek of a new service I will be launching in the next 2 weeks.

Yes company hijacking is becoming very common and in fact although I already knew about it my bank manager asked me for some more information on the subject a few weeks ago. The summary above is pretty much what is happening.

The service I will be offering is free email notification whenever your records for your company change. This can be anything from change of registered office, to change of appointments, CCJs, accounts - just about anything.

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  5. VeryMark

VeryMark UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,610 235
    So where is your profit Richard?

Posted: Mar 10, 2005 By: VeryMark Member since: Sep 20, 2004
  6. MikeH

MikeH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

594 58
    Most accountants should provide this with no charge, ours certainly does. People with access to Companies House secure login systems can monitor the activities of any company on the register. Most formation agents, accountants etc. should have this.

Ozzy may well provide this as a free service to his clients, however he may charge as there is a nominal fee from Companies House, it will depend on how he has set up his system. I'll leave him to explain and shut up as I do not know what he is planning.

Mike.

Posted: Mar 10, 2005 By: MikeH Member since: Aug 12, 2004
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy Quite simply, me. Full Member - Verified Business

3,401 157
    The email notification is free. The charge is if you want to know what has changed, and this is how I make my money and cover the cost.

Its going to be a bolt on service to Quick Credit Reports, as well as those who register their new company can tick a box to have email notifications whenever the records for their new company change at either/both Companies House and Experian.

Posted: Mar 10, 2005 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  8. MikeH

MikeH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

594 58
    That sounds like a great service that you are adding on. I'm sure that your clients will use it. This could provide simple piece of mind for those new to LTD's and existing company officers.

Mike.

Posted: Mar 10, 2005 By: MikeH Member since: Aug 12, 2004