New PHP website, please help!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Discountbannerprinting.co.uk, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Discountbannerprinting.co.uk

Discountbannerprinting.co.uk UKBF Regular Full Member

175 9
    We are looking at creating our next website with PHP and found a site similar in functionality to what we require here

https://www.stickergiant.com/

We are looking at Shopify or Magento but not sure this is the correct fit or if we should get a custom built CMS, can you please help me with this.

We cannot see what the above was created on which is a shame.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 By: Discountbannerprinting.co.uk Member since: Feb 27, 2010
  2. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,116 234
    Sticker Giant is a custom built website. You're not going to get a site like that with a standard ecommerce package out of the box. To me it looks like it is so far away from regular ecommerce functionality that you want either a custom site, or I think there is an out of the box solution for printing companies but I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  3. Discountbannerprinting.co.uk

175 9
    Thank you, I understand it is not off the shelf but is there nothing we can build this site with that at least can be customised to save time rather than fully custom built.

I would have thought customising magneto would be easier than building a fully custom solution from scratch.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Posted: Apr 11, 2019 By: Discountbannerprinting.co.uk Member since: Feb 27, 2010
  4. Discountbannerprinting.co.uk

175 9
    Would drupal or jommla possibly be better for our use?

5. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

225 38
    We work on projects like this from time to time, the nearest example really is Cartistic.co.uk, but thats still very heavily a category/product based site. But what I was wanting to say was I agree, even though a lot of custom work would be involved I would always build something like this into an ecommerce package. My package of choice is OpenCart but developers differ.

Ultimately this wouldn't be a problem to build something exactly like this into OpenCart, then at least you can benefit from all the existing useful functions of OpenCart such as customer management, administration, payment processing, order management etc.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  6. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

225 38
    Looking at it again I guess the custom sticker service is the closest example on cartistic, allowing for an image and some options, obviously you would probably streamline yours into something more direct for your usage, but just an example of the possibilities.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  7. Inva

Inva UKBF Regular Free Member

369 62
    If you buy a custom application you will pay once. If you get an off the shelf one, you will pay continuously.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  8. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,347 575
    Shopify is hard to customise and Magento is costly to maintain so it is worth bearing that in mind when you come to making a decision. Alex

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  9. Discountbannerprinting.co.uk

175 9
    I am swaying towards OpenCart

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 By: Discountbannerprinting.co.uk Member since: Feb 27, 2010
  10. ttfac01

ttfac01 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Posted: May 14, 2019 By: ttfac01 Member since: May 12, 2019
  11. Helpful Johnny

Helpful Johnny UKBF Contributor Free Member

86 15
    I don't think this is strictly true and should be strongly caveated with ongoing maintenance, support costs, hosting etc as well as the fact that contractually you could be licensing the product not owning. Buyer beware like with everything and due diligence should be taken seriously.

SaaS apps have to have features to appeal to the biggest audience but have the benefit of avoiding some of the pitfalls above. Either option is not a pay once solution.

Posted: May 14, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  12. Inva

Inva UKBF Regular Free Member

369 62
    How can you possibly be licensing bespoke software?

Posted: May 14, 2019 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  13. Helpful Johnny

Helpful Johnny UKBF Contributor Free Member

86 15
    I don't understand your question. Why do you think it couldn't/wouldn't be licensed? It's whatever the contract, EULA or agreement states and I wouldn't ever sign off on something without fully understanding it and whether it's fully bespoke, COTS or off the shelf makes no difference.

Posted: May 15, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  14. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,345 2,078
    Did you make a decision on this? What did you go for in the end?

Posted: May 15, 2019 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  15. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,347 575
    Good choice ;)

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  16. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,029 213
    Lets not beat around the bush.

Something designed in MS Paint and converted to HTML would be better than your existing website.

Your website is bad enough as it is that I thought it was already using OpenCart - if it isn't that says something about OpenCart.

You can't go from zero (your website) to hero (StickerGiant website) without spending the bunts.

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  17. edmondscommerce

edmondscommerce Magento + PHP Expert Full Member - Verified Business

3,653 624
    Sticker Giant looks to me like a bespoke codebase that then leverages this for checkout: https://zonos.com/

It's a fairly decent idea, though that could be only because it geolocated me as UK which is international for them and that is the service that zonos provides - checkout for international customers

These days I prefer to create bespoke code on a platform that supports test driven development so that we can deploy with confidence that everything is working as expected. Unfortunately very few open source code bases make this easy

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 By: edmondscommerce Member since: Nov 11, 2008