New online SEO course by "Tin"

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by sirearl, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

759 164
    Your contradicting yourself there but it does prove what you say, and I entirely agree. The core basis of SEO hasn't changed, like you what I did in 2006 still works today ie content, layout, keywords (relevant one's), correctly working site (no broken links etc), domain name (doesn't hurt to have a relevant one) and user experience. That hasn't changed, not from my experience anyway.

The only moving goalpost in seo are Google adjusting their algorithms to defeat the seo "experts" who try to rank less relevant sites by dubious means. So if your "expert" is telling you seo is a ongoing monthly commitment I think it's safe to say they are not actually making your site seo friendly, rather the opposite.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Posted: Sep 6, 2016 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  2. Shopclicks

Shopclicks UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

519 138
    No, that's not the only moving goal post. You can't control the efforts your competitors are putting in to gain rank. They pick up a relevant link, add some content, add a landing page, change a title, etc, etc. Google constantly tests different sites in new spots.

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 By: Shopclicks Member since: Mar 14, 2015
  3. Toby Willows

759 164
    That may be true, but no goal posts have moved they are just where they have always been. All that's happend there is a competitors site has become more relevant than your own. If they've used dubious means however they won't be there for long.

It's simply good housekeeping to make occasional updates to your content to keep it relevant. I tend to make a few changes to ours no more than every six months, often longer, and have always ranked 1st or 2nd on page one for the several keywords required.

4. Shopclicks

519 138
    So which is it? If you want someone else to look after your SEO, a monthly commitment could be good housekeeping, particularly in a competitive sector. There's more to housekeeping than 'updating content'.

5. Toby Willows

759 164
    What you on about.? I said it's good houskeeping to keep your content relevant, and gave my example of six monthly at best. Miles away from paying some "expert" £x,0000 a month for dubious practices.

6. Cococarb

Cococarb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 1
    Oh you have access to the forum. Great! Here is the thing, of course my enquiry is genuine and I am not just asking these questions just for some light amusement. I saw your friends gang up on that seogod kid last week. I know he is an extreme example. This isn't that my willy is bigger than yours case.
    I believe you have access to my details and perhaps you could look into what other business I am involved in. Afterall, everyone needs help in marketing.
    Like you said, my techniques didn't last long or perhaps I moved onto work on my own physical business because I didn't want my income to fluctuate based on what Google does next? :) whichever you think I don't mind. All I know is, I am yet to find someone who can do whatever they say they could and for a minute I don't think algo manipulation works anymore NOT even in 1/10 effectiveness. If you could my educated guess was that you won't be selling material but making enough money off your actual work and you won't have time to spend on forums?

Like the good friend suggested PM me. Let's have a civil discussion!

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 By: Cococarb Member since: Jul 12, 2016
  7. Shopclicks

519 138
    Is it the case, that if you're paying "£x,0000's" for continual SEO housekeeping, you're being ripped off? I wouldn't rule out that some sites require that sort of expenditure to stay serp competitive across thousands of keywords, if the site owner doesn't have the time or knowledge for DIY.

8. justinaldridge

justinaldridge UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

669 252
    That's fine and it does work but it's not always the case. A new competitor can come along and challenge your position.

It also depends on the competitiveness of the keywords. If you take the example of "car insurance", the likes of Go Compare, Moneysupermarket and confused.com can hardly rest on their laurels and update their pages every 6 months when they have the likes of comparethemarket.com, admiral, RAC, etc, all biting at their heals for those lucrative top slots which generate millions in revenue for them.

It's all relative but for highly competitive terms there is a significant amount of daily/weekly "housekeeping" required to protect ranking positions. Otherwise the competition force you down.

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  9. Toby Willows

759 164
    Hmmm, you sure they are all so worried about keywords? I really don't think more than a tiny tiny percentage of their business comes from keywords and google generic searches. After all if seo, Google, keywords etc were so important they wouldn't be spending millions on TV, radio and printed advertising. And it's that real world advertising that brings them massive numbers of direct "real" users that ultimately bring them the high rankings, not keywords or seo.

10. justinaldridge

669 252
    Of course it matters! There are nearly half a million searches per month for the term "car insurance" and PPC costs are £8 per click!

Being number 1 for such a huge term generates enormous revenues.

11. Toby Willows

759 164
    You've missed the point, probably because you are blinkered by the internet. GoCompare, Compare the market, money supermarket etc will all rank high on page one because they are getting millions of users each month from their "real world" advertising. Having those keywords, seo etc will make little to no difference where they rank.

How do you think Moonpig, Trivago and the like became so huge, a few well chosen keywords and dodgy seo, or a massive advertising campaign and user friendly website? Seo and keywords were a minor consideration in their marketing strategy.

12. justinaldridge

669 252
    I don't advertise my sites on TV and I do ok!

I'm going to email GoCompare, Compare the Market and every other company that wants to rank for these high value terms and tell them that they can save a fortune by firing all of their internal SEO staff. They obviously aren't needed.

13. Toby Willows

759 164
    Of course they need seo staff, but they provide just the smallest part of how they get customers to their sites.

You're simply vastly overrating the value of seo. If the companies you mention simply maintained their sites to be as relevant and user friendly as they are now, and ditch seo, their positions would hardly charge, and they certainly wouldn't be below the best seo'd only site as their advertising campaigns will draw millions more users than any seo. And as you know, site visitor numbers, and repeat visitors, are a huge part of how Google rank a site. Certainly more so than keywords, especially when we are talking about these type of companies.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  14. justinaldridge

669 252
    That's a completely innacurate and misleading statement. This is the problem with this industry, SO much misinformation.

15. Toby Willows

759 164
    Oh, OK, thanks. Must just be coincidence that all of page one of Google for "car insurance" or "Hotels" are those that advertise on TV, radio and the printed press. Can't see one that is there just by seo alone and doesn't advertise, guess you don't offer your services to hotels or car insurance companies, because if you, or anyone else did, and seo works as well as you claim, there would be at least one provider on page one that I wouldn't have seen a TV advert for.

16. justinaldridge

669 252
    This is my last post on this topic as we are going round in circles here.

These are enormous businesses with a huge amount of money. Of course they will advertise on TV, they also spend huge amounts on social media, radio, press releases, online video campaigns, email marketing, newspaper advertising, etc. etc. They also do SEO! It's part of the marketing mix.

Why does Coca Cola advertise on TV? They certainly don't need to do it but they do it to keep the brand fesh in people's minds.

Sigh.

17. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,356 8,923
    Huge? I think you have been misinformed. They may well be ranking signals but they aren't huge. If they were then these companies could get an army of people in Asia with spoofed IP addresses to visit a site thousands of times a day to boost ranking. But they don't. Because they know it doesn't work.

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  18. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,841 1,605
    Putting aside your intent for a moment, you are making some pretty broad assumptions here.

I have absolutely no idea who you are beyond the details that you've already stated and no idea of what other business you may be involved in.

And what gives you the idea that I'm not making money off my actual work?

I'm actually one of those daft sods who likes to help out where I can, and the Fresh Bananas course was an obvious choice to do this. I've lost count of the amount of people who have approached me over the years with zero budget but wanting to get rankings and people who have come to me having got themselves into a right mess by following misinformation on forums or worse, hooking up with the wrong SEO company.

The course was also an obvious way to go to best channel my time. It took years to write but now it's done it doesn't need much tweaking and allows me to pursue my other ventures and pastimes.

Whether you believe it or not, the information I give in the course will work, if applied correctly. It's not a magic bullet however, nor any trickery, just simple, logical steps that anyone with a website should follow if they have any chance of getting rankings for their website.

I've no intention of trying to convince you however. As you suggest, I have little time to spend on forums beyond my moderating duties, nor on people that have your kind of attitude.

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  19. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,841 1,605
    Let's get another thing clear here.

They aren't my friends, they're forum members and I don't actually know them so refrain from making assumptions!

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  20. Toby Willows

759 164
    Don't be silly, I think you'll find Google are wise to that. I'm talking about genuine visitors who Google will identify by the obvious means (car insurance for example, links being followed, forms filled, forwarded to end insurer, customers logging in again etc etc). I'm sure you must be aware Google know exactly what pages you visit, how long you are there, and where you leave or links you follow to other sites. Very difficult to fake those visitors unless they all actually follow the sites process.

As an example I used to run a local online news site. Always ranked fourth or fifth. Had a local issue on which I ran a poll, had coverage of this poll in the local printed press, radio and other websites. Our visitors/users increased from a meagre 500 a week to over 8,000. We were then top spot of Google for a over a month. As our visitors then dropped (we went down to about 1,500 a week) so did our ranking. No changes to the site were made at all, not a one, even the poll had been running for three weeks before we got the exposure and increased visitors. Must have just been a coincidence.

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.