SEO, PPC and Online Marketing Brought to you by Adzooma

New online SEO course by "Tin"

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by sirearl, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Shopclicks

Shopclicks UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

519 138
    Sorry Steve, I don't own the websites I run. It's not my call to make that public.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: Shopclicks Member since: Mar 14, 2015
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,357 8,657
    Err no, SEO is all about targetting. No point in chasing keywords that don't convert.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Shopclicks

519 138
    Like I said, targeting has it's uses. For an estate agent in Cornwall, yes. For a man with a van in Medway, yes. If you're selling something that can be sent anywhere and you want to grow your business to grow, then the prime keywords/phrases are what you should aim at.

Pick a prime keyphrase like 'car leasing'. whatcar gets the top result. There are ten paid ads on that first page, competing for what whatcar gets for nothing more than a properly structured website.

4. Mayur Mistry

Mayur Mistry UKBF Contributor Free Member

29 2
    I just checked the link. I noticed that the course is focused on-page SEO strategies. What about off-page SEO? In my experience, this is equally important to helping business go up the SERPs.

This where I believe SEO is heading towards, it going towards the PR route. So if your business gets mentioned in different blogs or news website, then you have an advantage in climbing up the search results..

Does the course also offer local SEO strategies as well?

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: Mayur Mistry Member since: Mar 31, 2015
  5. fisicx

29,357 8,657
    Ray knows what works. Everything you need is included in the course.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  6. fisicx

29,357 8,657
    Which is still targeting. You gave the example of 'car leasing', while it's a decent phrase something longer tail (like including locality or type of lease) will convert better than the generic.

7. Scott@KarmaContent

[email protected] UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

742 317
    There is off-page SEO and Local SEO covered in the course. And very good it is too.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: [email protected] Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  8. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,946 3,530
    Not to be brutal, but what's your experience?

As far as I'm concerned "SEO" is the things that consistently get rankings for competitive keywords.

When you've figured out what these things are - and proven you're right by consistently getting competitive rankings for multiple websites - you can talk about "experience".

Everything else is theory... and doesn't count as "experience".

I wrote a review of the course (of sorts - more of a review of Ray) that starts by talking about a keyword Ray got to #1 that's worth an estimated £232,687 a year.

And that's just the exact match... it doesn't include the value of all the phrase matches of the keyword.... or any of the other keywords he ranked that particular website for.

To me... when you can get rankings for 6-figure keywords, then you can talk about "experience".

Steve

PS You can read the review here:

http://www.bothsidesoftheclick.co.uk/if-youre-serious-about-learning-seo

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  9. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,801 6,640

So what else would one use SEO on but a website unless Tesco are doing ready SEO;d chickens..:);)

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  10. Shopclicks

519 138
    But it's not worthless to a company that leases cars uk-wide. And why not have both?

learn seo
    what is seo
    why seo
    cheap seo
    keyword seo

None of which I typed in because that's not what I was looking for. But for 'seo' I did see hobo on page 1. That's probably a good place to be ;)

11. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,801 6,640
    Well having actually held the top spots for "car leasing" for a few years I did learn that it only brought in a very small percentage of the sites traffic.

Hence when the big boys stared throwing mega bucks at the term I let them get on with it knowing my efforts would be and are better spent on the longer tail terms both in terms of traffic and conversion.

I also rank No 1 for "jetski parts" but again that term only brings in a tiny proportion of the sites traffic.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  12. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,526 2,580
    It's a very good course. I'd certainly recommend it.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  13. CharterFishing

CharterFishing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 6
    I wanted to add my 2p here, partly to say hi to some old friends, partly to say this works!

My name is Ray. I was hugely active on this forum circa 10 years ago and back then it was a real SEO resource (Tin, OWG, Hobo, even Earl!!) and more than I can even remember. Seems it's still a great resource but full of people vying for business now.... hey that's a sign of the times!

Back then I had a printing business and took it online. Problem was, it wasn't ranking on Google. I found Ray (yes we're both called Ray) and he trained me (Basically a precursor to the course he now offers online), plus I'd retain him to tweak a page when its wasn't performing. Sometimes adding or moving a word would make all the difference.

THIS IS ORGANIC.... and as such it STILL WORKS (and in my opinion always will)

Within a few short months my old company ranked first for single word phrases such as "flyers" "leaflets" and with a bit of tweaking at one point we were 4th for "printing".

Such single words are hugely difficult to rank for, but Ray made it happen/taught me how to do it.

Anyway, I sold up in 2008 and my old company still trades but lost a lot of their rankings unwittingly by "undoing" all that goodness without realising.

These days I run a lifestyle business. I had some local competitors who were strong in google. Within 3 months I'd outranked them all. I didn't even have to try.

I just 'knew" how to do it. In fact my SEO is relatively sloppy now as I don't want more work, but the competitive me still wants to rank (if that makes sense). But my core SEO awareness makes it hard for me not to rank..... I cant help it!

Anyway.... long post I know.... bottom line.... I consider Ray Field to be the best SEO in the business and one of the nicest most unassuming guy's I've ever worked with..... I owe you a pint Ray!

Posted: Aug 5, 2015 By: CharterFishing Member since: Sep 10, 2009
  14. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,411 7,044
    A PINT!!!!!!!!

You tight bugger Ray ;)

Posted: Aug 5, 2015 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  15. CharterFishing

CharterFishing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 6
    I have been known to stretch to 2 pints, but it's very rare :)

Posted: Aug 5, 2015 By: CharterFishing Member since: Sep 10, 2009
  16. pcproblems

pcproblems UKBF Regular Free Member

466 68
    What a lovely endorsement, I'm sure that Ray will be feeling all bashful

Posted: Aug 6, 2015 By: pcproblems Member since: Jun 30, 2010
  17. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Full Member

11,952 4,142
    Hello Ray, long time, hope your doing well.

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  18. OldWelshGuy

20,411 7,044
    I am disappointed. I noticed Estwig had posted and was looking forward to an 'Estwig special pearl of wisdom'.

And I get this crud :(

Cmon K up your game man

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  19. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Full Member

11,952 4,142
    I'm trying to play nicely on the forum, be a good member! and all that. I don't have any outstanding warnings and all my bans have expired.

Dan has even offered me a rub of his Blue Peter badge!!

:)

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  20. OldWelshGuy

20,411 7,044
    Aye but @Dan Izzard hasn't told you where he keeps his blue peter badge ;)

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008