New online SEO course by "Tin"

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by sirearl, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,912 9,057
    Ray is getting targeted traffic. Far more important than the tyre kickers you get if you rank for general SEO keywords.

It would be like you ranking for 'e-Commerce'. Might make you feel good but would be pointless.

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  2. Shopclicks

Shopclicks UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

519 138
    I thought Ray might be able to save a few poor souls from the shonks by ranking for the major industry keyphrases ;)

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 By: Shopclicks Member since: Mar 14, 2015
  3. Mystro

Mystro UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,091 376
    If it were that simple to rank then we would all be rich, the course outlines the fundamentals and teaches you the all you need to know to put your site on the map, ranking your site when your foundations are solid is a lot easier than trying to rank a site on links alone

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 By: Mystro Member since: Aug 20, 2009
  4. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,433 7,050
    Traffic is vanity, conversions are sanity. There is no point ranking for traffic that doesn't convert.

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  5. Shopclicks

519 138
    Hi OWG. I don't see a downside in tapping a broader market where you have an opportunity to convert.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: Shopclicks Member since: Mar 14, 2015
  6. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    SEO is always going to be a balancing act.

Do you put 99% effort to obtain a small conversion from a large audience or 1% effort to get a large conversion from a smaller audience,

I suspect things like SEO courses are very much sold on reputation and testimonials.

Probabily a good case for social media ( something I do not usually recommend) .

SEO has been ruined as far as its reputation is concerned,but believe you me It works probably better than any other form of advertising from a cost effective point of view if done by the right people .

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  7. Shopclicks

519 138
    I get that for some businesses, targeting a specific area, demographic or keyphrase is an advantage (and certainly easier). However, when you have a product that can be marketed at no extra cost, to a broader audience, why wouldn't you? A conversion is a conversion regardless of where it comes from.

Talking in general terms here. Not aimed at Ray.

8. fisicx

30,912 9,057
    Because the cost of that marketing may exceed the ROI.

Like I said in my other post, you could work on ranking for 'e-commerce' in the hope that someone will click and buy stuff from shopclicks but the time and effort in getting that ranking would never be repaid. But target a niche term and the ROI is always going to be good.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Shopclicks

519 138
    Not sure what you mean by the 'cost of marketing'. The only cost involved is time and it's the same amount time but spent differently.

10. fisicx

30,912 9,057
    So you work for free then? Time spent on marketing is (for most people) time not earning any money. If you were a brickalyer and spent all day promotng your business on SM sites you wouldn't lay any bricks and not earn any money.

11. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,847 1,607
    I can see where you're coming from but it wasn't what I was aiming to do. About 10 weeks back the single word 'seo' got attached to my site by Google. I wasn't intentionally targeting this word but without me doing anything towards it Google started moving it higher. When it got around the 35 mark I did some slight changes on the site to detune it's rankings on that term for a simple reason, I don't want to be answering loads of telephone/email enquiries from people who aren't remotely interested in doing seo themselves.

There's no sense in me wasting my time to pull in visitors who I can't help and the time I'd spend dealing with them would interfere with my daily client work. I'm not wanting to grow my business but I can appreciate that if you are, then that's where your comments may be coming from.

Ray

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  12. Shopclicks

519 138
    It doesn't cost any more time to set a website up to rank for the high-volume keywords, than it does to set it up for targeted low-volume keywords. Sure, you'll get faster, higher ranking by targeting specifics, if it's done properly but at the cost of missing the majority of the traffic.

13. fisicx

30,912 9,057
    I think the whole of the SEO industry and those who have spend millions on marketing will disagree with you there.

14. Shopclicks

519 138
    Exactly Ray.

15. Shopclicks

519 138
    Of course the SEO industry would disagree with me. To sell their product, they need fast results and that's easier if they target specific low-volume keyphrases. Fast results are not necessarily the best results, long term. I dare say, for most e-commerce sites, showing their website to as many people as possible is a great way to market it. As I said, I can see where targeting has it's uses.

16. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    As said the time effort and cost would be way out of proportion to the return.

And yes there would be a cost in hard cash in getting to the to for a term like "SEO".

Not to mention that by far the biggest driver of traffic is long tail and not the big volume keywords.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  17. fisicx

30,912 9,057
    No, that's the worst way to market anything. Companies spend huge amounts of money making sure their products are seen by the right people.
    Targeting is probably the most important marketing thing you can do. Unless your marketing is targeted you are just wasting time and effort.

18. Shopclicks

519 138
    If I google 'website seo', I get hobo at number one. If I google 'website seo tutorial', I get hobo at number one.
    If you aim for high-volume keywords, you drag the long-tail keywords with them.
    I'm pretty sure I'd find plenty more long-tail keyphrases where hobo is top 5.

19. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    Can I ask which high-volume competitive keywords you have high rankings for?

(You seem to know a lot about how much work is involved in getting such rankings.)

Steve

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  20. Shopclicks

519 138
    In terms of SEO, I completely disagree. I terms of paid advertising, totally agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.