New logistics network

Discussion in 'North West' started by XFreight, Feb 9, 2018.

1. XFreight

XFreight UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Morning,

I currently work in the logistics industry. For a big freight firm operating competitively throughout the whole of the UK with hubs in Ireland too.

I can not help but ask myself the same question every single day when I wake up: “why can’t I do this myself?”

The system is very organised, although some customers will beg to differ. And the process is perfect for me. Supply and demand, I love the graft. And It takes a lot!

So what I’m asking is, where do I start? How do I build up a rapport of customers who need freight deliveries on a daily basis? Do I need a big warehouse full of 7.5t wagons ready to go everyday to start with. What sort of team will I need?

I’ve got this fire burning deep inside telling me I need to start up my own freight business and become a competitor. I just don’t know what’s first. Although I’ve built up a small list of contacts for local self employed class 1 and class 2 drivers. A contact with a fleet of vans for smaller deliveries. A contact with a fleet of larger 7.5 ton wagon on hand if ever I needed them.

Forgive me if I sound like I’m blabbering on a bit, but I need to get this out. I need some sort of guidance I think? Some one to point me in the right direction? Because an idea or passion alone won’t put food on the table of course...

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: XFreight Member since: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Shaun619

Shaun619 UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 2
    It sounds like you and me have a lot in common....I work in a warehouse at the moment also with ambitions of going out on my own with running a warehouse with a few sideline projects. The issue to me is the high start up costs if you dont have contracts from the get go you could be in trouble real quick. I have drawn up a few business plans in the past but I have never had the confidence to go for it.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: Shaun619 Member since: Apr 20, 2016
  3. XFreight

4 0
    You’ve had the confidence to announce it on here!

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: XFreight Member since: Feb 9, 2018
  4. LiveNetworks Ltd

LiveNetworks Ltd UKBF Regular Free Member

165 39
    I suspect we're fairly odd in our use of delivery/logistics firms but what we've seen over the last 2 years is that none of the companies DPD, Yodel, Hermes, or our two main local couriers etc offer a 'last mile' service. ie we deliver to their local depot and they deliver within the radius of that depot for us. No need to ship out to a regional sorting centre etc, just take it from us and put it into the cage for the relevant van run.

I've even ordered rubbish for delivery with Amazon and Hermes just to catch their delivery drivers to offer extra work!

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: LiveNetworks Ltd Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  5. XFreight

4 0
    So do you actually run your own company?

6. LiveNetworks Ltd

LiveNetworks Ltd UKBF Regular Free Member

165 39
    Mail order yes, primarily local delivery.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: LiveNetworks Ltd Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  7. XFreight

4 0
    That’s handy to know where are you based?

8. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,447 1,100
    How much money do you have
    You are not clear about what your intentions would be It looks like you will be subcontracting most of the work to hauliers ect
    This would mean you would need to be paying some big bills before you get paid

This is not as easy as it looks

If you were going to start tomorrow you would need at least 40 - 60 thousand to start up

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  9. Dan4

Dan4 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    including the truck..right? :)

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 By: Dan4 Member since: Apr 27, 2018