new joinery business advice

Discussion in 'Tradespeople' started by km_joinery_solutions, Aug 6, 2010.

1. km_joinery_solutions

km_joinery_solutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Hi folks. We are a new joinery business that has just started up working in the central scotland area. We are in the process of gettin our logo designed, business cards printed and website going. Other than these, has anyone got any ideas on how to get our business known without spending to much money? We do all aspects of joinery and building work, with access to all trades as we'v built up a good relationship with tradesmen already.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 By: km_joinery_solutions Member since: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,177 1,074
    I have always found a good quality glossy brochure can be a useful tool when attracting new customers, but it depends on hwo your tartget market is...

House Builders/Developers would be an obvious route if you can identify the contract managers.

Architects would be my next choice, many also take on project management roles for clients, so will be directly employing sub-contractors.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    Posted: Aug 7, 2010 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  3. Wee Print

Wee Print UKBF Newcomer Free Member

78 9
    Hi,

I'm a new printer's based in Clackmannanshire if you are looking for any design or printing work done.
    On the advertsing side you can do things like add your company to your local website and free indexs like yell, free index (all you need to do is type free advert into a search engine and it will come up with thousands)
    There is also that website called myhammer.com that might work for you. There has been adverts on the telly and if I remember rightly customers ask for quote and then you send them your rates.
    I also find that the free courses avaiable are excellent places to make contacts.

Hope this has helped.

Jenny

Posted: Aug 7, 2010 By: Wee Print Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  4. km_joinery_solutions

10 0
    Hi Jenny. I wish I had found you sooner, we ordered our business cards and logo design in Falkirk yesterday! What are the free courses that your talking about? We'r obviously looking to get contacts and do a bit of networking, already doing that....although it's mostly done in the pub :p

Thanks, Chris

Posted: Aug 7, 2010 By: km_joinery_solutions Member since: Aug 3, 2010
  5. Wee Print

78 9
    Hi Chris,
    Maybe next time then.
    Well business gateway and stirling enterprise put on free courses which can help you from things like marketing, cashflow to getting more hits on your website. http://www.bgateway.com/bdotg/actio...courses&location=-999&date=99&page=1&site=202 things like this. You can actually sign up for a news letter from stirling enterprise who will send you out a list of there courses.
    You obviously go to help improve your business but its a great place to meet people.
    There are also networking groups that meet up for breakfast or lunch but you have to pay for them.
    You can meet potential clients anywhere...I'm getting a new kitchen and I gave every workman that came in my business card.
    Hope this helps.
    Jenny

6. Wee Print

78 9
  7. dal

dal UKBF Regular Free Member

432 23
    I'd try to steer clear of my hammer, it's a joke. Polish on there charging about £12 for building a house :rolleyes:, and the sort of clientele on there are penny pinchers, looking to aquire the cheapest of cheap. Then they'll be on there next week moaning that the work was of a poor standard.
    In my view you're better off not working for people like that. They say poor quality tradesmen are out there (and we all know that), but there are also poor quality customers :(.
    Good luck with your start-up. Hardest bit is getting them first few jobs.:)

Posted: Aug 7, 2010 By: dal Member since: Jul 26, 2007
  8. km_joinery_solutions

10 0
    Thanks Jenny, we will be going along to some of those free courses, they look pretty handy!

Chris

Posted: Aug 7, 2010 By: km_joinery_solutions Member since: Aug 3, 2010
  9. crossdaz

crossdaz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,773 778
    Local business links and stuff like that are always a good move if you are the sociable type. It isn't what you know it's who you know and making contact with local business owners is usually a good way of getting regular work.

Posted: Aug 7, 2010 By: crossdaz Member since: Sep 3, 2008
  10. Wee Print

78 9
    Thats no problem, even if you don't meet any potential clients you will still learn something. I found that you do eventually get some work from people from the courses if not straight away as most business I know keep other businesses business cards.

Jenny

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 By: Wee Print Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  11. PerfectP

PerfectP UKBF Newcomer Free Member

216 44
    Don't forget your local chartered surveyors - we've had a lot of referrals from a local one to us, as he's out and about on all kinds of locations meeting people who might just need your services.
    Have you tried your local council to see if they've got an approved workman scheme for householders?

Oh - and if you want to advertise your business - why not have some clothing made up with your logo/business/website etc? As you/your staff are coming to and from the workplace they're advertising your business free of charge!
    Let me know if you want any clothing and I can do you some top prices for quality personalised workwear.

cheers
    Craig

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 By: PerfectP Member since: Mar 30, 2010
  12. kannu

kannu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Jenny we are thankful of you.... let me choose one of them.

Posted: Aug 19, 2010 By: kannu Member since: Aug 18, 2010
  13. Wee Print

78 9
    Thats no problem everyone. We need to help each other out as much as we can! :)

Posted: Aug 19, 2010 By: Wee Print Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  14. grincher

grincher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

46 4
    Chris,

Can you supply sliding sash windows and boxes?

Regards
    Richard

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 By: grincher Member since: Aug 25, 2010
  15. Frimley111R

Frimley111R UKBF Regular Free Member

391 28
    Did I hear that govt were closing BL down?

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 By: Frimley111R Member since: Nov 1, 2009