General Business Forum Brought to you by Square
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

New hire

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Harry32, Jun 14, 2018 at 2:59 PM.

1. Harry32

Harry32 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi,

I run a small accounting firm and business is going fairly well. Currently it is just me but at some point either this year or next year I will need to hire somebody. The question is what kind of profile to look for. Does it make sense to look for an admin type person that would allow me to focus on clients? Or, should I look for somebody that just graduated who I can educate and who can work with clients later on? Or would it be better to hire somebody with a lot of experience that maybe has a family and is happy working for a small company for many years to come? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance. Harry

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 2:59 PM By: Harry32 Member since: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Steve Samuels

Steve Samuels UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 6
    Hi Harry,

I think the questions should be; what are YOUR strengths, that make your business successful, What parts of your many roles as a 1 person business do you enjoy, and what tasks get in the way of the previous two?

If you are great at networking, identifying new clients, and sealing the deal, and you love that part, but aren't so keen on providing the service when you have them, then I'd suggest getting someone who can deliver on the services you are selling.

If it's the other way round and you hate making the sale and doing the networking, but love the accounting side of it, then perhaps you should get a marketing person to bring in clients for you while you can crack on and deliver the services.

An admin person is great when you have identified lots of 'relatively' unskilled tasks that YOU don't need to be doing, and are basically distractions from what you do need to do.

I have a 5.1 person company. We have an admin guy who comes in 1 day a week to just keep on top of the things me and my business partner just never get around to. Low priority stuff that needs to be done.

Our first hire was a student engineer (My company develops hi-tech products). Our local university has a great scheme where they will reimburse you 50% of the salary of one of their students if you take them on for a 3 month summer placement. This worked really well for us, as it was our first employee (scary times), we only made a 3 month commitment, he was super cheap after the reimbursement, and he was really focussed and proactive. We had some really good applicants, keen to get relevant work experience. He stayed on with us part time while he is finishing his degree. You can look into any local universities that might offer such schemes for you.

I hope this is helpful. Taking on your first employee can be daunting, but it's not as bad as it first seems.

Good luck!

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:07 PM By: Steve Samuels Member since: Sep 4, 2016
  3. Jessica A.

Jessica A. UKBF Contributor Free Member

51 37
    Hi Harry! Try hiring someone with at least some background in admin work so that training them won't take too much of your time but if you're a hands on individual and likes imparting your knowledge to your workers then go right ahead and hire someone with little to no experience. The downside with hiring someone with a lot of experience is that they tend to ask for a higher pay but the upside of it is that they can stay on a job for a longer period of time compared to those who recently graduated. If you need admin workers, you can find many great workers at Onlinejobs.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 8:14 PM By: Jessica A. Member since: Feb 28, 2018
  4. Mr Supplement

Mr Supplement UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 1
    Four things are important when recruiting - skills, experience, potential, and can you work with them? Dont over analyse it, do the first round of interviews and you will already have a good idea of who the options are.

With those options ask if you would compliment each other as a team. If you go the graduate option please remember textbook accounting isn't the same a practice accounting. Are you okay spending a year developing the person so they have real life understanding to go with what they learned?

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 8:10 PM By: Mr Supplement Member since: Jun 15, 2018
  5. Harry32

Harry32 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Many thanks for your messages. Much appreciated. Harry

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 7:14 AM By: Harry32 Member since: Jun 14, 2018