New Business

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Newbiewithhope, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Newbiewithhope

Newbiewithhope UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 0
    Hi All,

Myself & My Partner are wanting to set up our own clothing business, from home to begin with not looking at any stores etc just online based clothing sales. Reason for wanting to start was to earn extra income, make something of our time and do something with our lives basically. We chose the clothing industry purely as clothing can never be "out of fashion" there is always a want for clothing, obviously the changes in times and the need for flexibility on what we advertise to sell. So, as you've probably guessed we are starting from scratch we don't intend to throw all our months wages into setting this off as we want to "learn to walk before we run". Can anyone point us in the right direction on where to begin, we've looked at wholesalers online etc but feel that some of this stuff is going to too common. We've looked at drop shipping but again I think this is something that needs good detailed research into "the right company" to use.

Basically we're looking for all you clued up people put there for your ideas on where to start, what to focus on. We want to turn this into our little gold mine but giving the customers quality products.

Thank you in advance to you all, Fire away.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: Newbiewithhope Member since: Feb 21, 2021
  2. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,766 725
    Well, first of all, what do you know about the clothing industry?

What are the most common clothe sizes for your target demographic? What IS your target demographic?

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,285 3,347
    Then find quality products you are willing to sell.

And figure out where.

You can sell multiple places. 3rd party sites such as amazon and ebay have lots of customers and lots of competition - and take a portion of your sales as fees.
    Or you can have your own site, market the site yourself and pay to stand out. The internet has even more customers and even more competition.

And factor in returns. You will have buyers returning items simply because they decide to. For a full refund including postage.
    Some may well damage the clothing in order to get free returns too.

Or buy one week, wear to a party, then return the following week reeking of smoke, perfume, whatever.

There will always be a lot of common stuff - thing is people buy the common stuff. Look at your own clothing, how much of it is stuff that is common?
    May find stuff with only a hundred other retailers selling it. Or stuff that only a thousand retailers sell.

Common isn't a bad thing.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,689 602
    Do you have an experience in clothing or retail in general?

My thoughts would be that this is a difficult sector to make money in, especially as established players with over a century of experience and know-how are mostly not doing so?

I understand that certain areas such as the likes of Boohoo and Primark have carved out a profiatble niche but this relies on huge volumes and a low cost base.

Anyway, sorry for the negativity and best of luck with it.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  5. Newbiewithhope

9 0
    I apologize maybe I worded this wrongly, by "common" I meant what everyone else is selling, through research I have found that in order to be successful you have to be unique and start with something that nobody if not very little people are selling, we know what range we want to be selling but getting there is for future business plans.

Thank you for the information regarding products, obviously this has been taken into consideration that people are quite honest as everyone would like.

6. Newbiewithhope

9 0
    Not negative at all don't worry, I have previous retail experience and know that customers like to think their getting a better deal elsewhere but good quality deals. The clothing sector is actually a good money builder believe it or not, just getting to the top is part of the journey and getting there is harder than people think. Once your there though your "rolling in it"

7. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,127 807
    I think OP you need to decide what you wish to sell, or who you want to sell to, a niche market segment for instance. Most importantly you do not necessarily have to like what you sell.

In your position I would go with who to sell to, marketing to a very poorly but expanding niche worldwide, “larger” clients. Hardly any stores seem to be set up for larger people, the last trader I suggested this to on a market usually sold out of the most awful shirts I have ever seen, but his clients bought them since they were available. He also had little price competition since stores ignore this huge market.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  8. Mr D

27,285 3,347
    To be unique have stuff designed for you in pattern, material etc and then shipped to you.
    However the marketing costs can be considerably higher. People have heard of Fruit of the Loom for example, they haven't heard of the Newbiewithhope brand. That is what you would be up against.
    Getting unique products out can be done - perhaps wait until you have a lot more experience of what your customers want first?
    Mistakes now will be far more expensive to learn.

The common stuff is generally both cheap and plentiful - you don't want to tie up too much money in stock that is not shifting, you do want to replace sold items with more of what is selling.
    Be warned, any type of retail business, what you like and what your customers like can be very different. And what is wanted one year is not necessarily going to have the same demand another year. Can be smaller. Can be considerably higher.

Getting stuff made you will - unless wanting to go for high unit costs - need to get a considerable number made of any one item / size. Usually referred to as MOQ (minimum order quantity) by producers.

9. Mr D

27,285 3,347
    Have a look at Sizedwell. Sizedwell | Big and Tall Menswear | Sizedwell Clothing
    Have used them for years - they are one of several big people's clothing places but as you say its a niche market.
    The right product can sell well. However for work clothing people tend to need certain limitations applying. Smart clothing is a broad term that - at least for males - is quite conservative in what is acceptable.
    More fun clothing ..... the sky is the limit. Aloha shirt with liederhosen perhaps. :)

10. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,833 4,636
    I think you meant Lederhosen! Liederhosen implies that your trousers were going to start to sing songs from 'The Sound of Music' - a bit like Jokey-Jock, the talking athletic support. Strap it on and it tells jokes!

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,390 2,198
    A greatr place to start, in any business, is to work out exactly who your target customer is, what they want and how you can do it better than others.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  12. Office Mover

Office Mover UKBF Contributor Free Member

44 3
    I am not in any way an expert on clothing but I think it would be good to have 'quality' products without having lables all over it, which I believe, I am not alone in this, so perhaps would be a niche market?

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Office Mover Member since: Oct 24, 2017
  13. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,433 1,626
    You start at the beginning by doing your market research. What sort of customers will want the products you want to sell, at what price, who are your competitors, how are you going to reach these customers.

1. Market research
    2. Business plan
    3. Marketing plan
    3. Budget

Then you will be able to see if you have a viable business mode.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  14. Newbiewithhope

9 0
    This was something we were looking at as your right the current retailers refuse to sell it, I know a lot of retailers won't sell larger items as some have been accused of advertising obesity etc (not looking into medical conditions that results in obesity. Anyway, our range was originally was to start with party clothing or as some may call it dinner wear. But obviously with current times there is not many places for someone to wear their best clothing at the moment, and noticed a lot of people being stuck at home are looking at Lounge wear & clothing. So since we are hoping to start out before the lock-down is completely lifted we were thinking that maybe the money is in the comfy clothing range to any age/gender etc.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Newbiewithhope Member since: Feb 21, 2021
  15. Newbiewithhope

9 0
    Thank you for this, these obviously were our main starting points, the idea of the post originally was to maybe gain any experienced knowledge of retail from other users. But thank you for your post every little helps & that's why I'm here after all :)

16. Newbiewithhope

9 0
    I agree, it's not specifically named brands we were wanting to sell just clothing that doesn't look or feel cheap, we don't want to be the seller that sells rubbish products, I personally wouldn't buy something that was terribly made and wouldn't want my customers to buy it either.

17. Newbiewithhope

9 0

18. Newbiewithhope

9 0
    I think the "better than others" always starts with price and quality, people want "owt for nowt" but they want good quality. However, I know a business doesn't run on giving things away, i know an attractive price for good quality clothing goes a long way. Just leading stores at present, have increased prices on their once cheap products and the quality has dramatically decreased. Not the way to go. But then they know people will still go because they have that name for themselves now

19. Mr D

27,285 3,347
    No one wants rubbish products. Except bin bag companies.

However there is quality and there is pricing.

You will have to cover returns. You will have to cover damaged items even if the customer has to get a marker pen themselves. And if doing party or dinner clothing, a tag of some sort could be cost effective.

Personally I like certain brands. Still got a few t shirts of one particular brand from 20 odd years ago, a bit ripped and very faded now after hundreds of washes - so I look to buy that brand when after their look. Expensive but very long lasting.

Figure out who you want as a customer. Then figure out what they buy and where they look.
    The customer focus determines everything else.

Or you could start by buying some stuff then look around see who you can flog it to. Somewhat more chancy and risk being like delboy with his video cameras or dolls...

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. Mr D

27,285 3,347
    Price is an element and some do chase the - cheapest price - demographic. Problem comes when some competition also chase those same customers for the same reason. Do you then drop your price to get the buyers back? It's your profit, you can even subsidize your customers if you want.

With the same stock quality is not an issue in competition.

Service is. Some right annoying retailers around. Cough Argos Cough.
    Costs quite a bit to get a customer. Much cheaper to keep a customer who will buy from you again.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017