Networking

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by stephendoyle, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephendoyle

stephendoyle UKBF Regular

642 41
    As a sales consultant company its important to network with potential clients and gain new business by way of referrals.

i currently use local networking companies across the north west that seem steady.

i am looking into larger organisations such as BNI however for the amount of money they want i want a decent return.

has anyone used these or can any one recommend companies.

regards
    Stephen Doyle
    ccuk-ltd.com

Posted: Mar 27, 2007 By: stephendoyle Member since: Mar 7, 2007
  2. Chris Learmonth

Chris Learmonth UKBF Newcomer

30 0
    Hi Stephen

Networking is, by definition, the interaction between individuals. As such I don't think there is a "good" company or a "bad" company through which to network. It will come down (largely) to the group of people who happen to attend the respective groups.

Having said this I looked at BNI but decided it wasn't for me as there was much more pressure placed on you to provide referrals. When I go to a networking forum I want names referred to me to actually be interested in my services & on the look out for accountancy/tax advice and not just a referral to make up somebodies numbers.

Shop around. try different groups & different styles of groups until you find the one you think will work for you.

Chris Learmonth
    Chartered Accountant
    www.learmonthandco.ltd.uk

Posted: Mar 27, 2007 By: Chris Learmonth Member since: Mar 3, 2007
  3. publicityheaven

publicityheaven UKBF Enthusiast

294 61
    Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: publicityheaven Member since: Jan 5, 2006
  4. Gillie

Gillie Verified Business ✔️

13,070 1,472
    Why dont you get your name down for a one off UKBF informal networking event for us North West members in the events section coming soon??

There are lots of organisations that do one off monthly meetings in this area that dont charge membership.

Try http://www.business-scene.com/index.php and use it to see which group is doing what in your area.

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  5. sjbeale

sjbeale UKBF Legend

1,215 212
    Networking is all about meeting people and developing relationships. You should treat all events as networking so look out for conferences, seminars, business lunches, one off networking events, chatting to friends and family, people in the pub etc.

I know many people have tried the "regular networking events" which cost a lot of money but very few get a ROI.

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: sjbeale Member since: Jul 8, 2005
  6. neelyrobert

neelyrobert UKBF Newcomer

17 0
    I think I'm allowed to respond with a blatant plug for Business Networking meetings in Shrewsbury you might be interested in. Have a look at quantumspeednetworking.com
    Robert

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: neelyrobert Member since: Mar 24, 2007
  7. Nigel@magentanetwork.co.u

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    The alternatives are BNI are

BRE
    Bob Club
    BforB

They are all clones of BNI and have a similar price - you are paying to have a structured network organised for you - the alternative is you organise your own. You will also often find ex BNI and BRE group members who have set up there own local lower cost groups - a little bit of googling a you will find them. I which areas do you want to find a group?

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: [email protected] Member since: Mar 28, 2007
  8. stephendoyle

642 41
    thanks for all these everybody i really appreciate the help and feedback - steve doyle ccuk-ltd.com

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: stephendoyle Member since: Mar 7, 2007
  9. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️

4,251 756
    One good place to look is you rlocal newspapers business suppliment, these usually contain a list of networking events in your area. I use this method occasionally to find new events in my area, but better than that starting going to your local Chamber of Commerce and FSB networking events. When there ask everyone you speak to if they know of any other networking events in your area.
    Ultimately you could, if you so wished, be spending your entire morning, day and evening networking! We have breakfasts, dinners, lunches and evening networking events almost daily around here :D

(did you see my article in Start Your Business magazine on networking?)

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  10. stephendoyle

642 41
    thank you again - can any one give inside information ie when using these networking clubs what roi they got.

regards
    steve doyle

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 By: stephendoyle Member since: Mar 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.