Networking in the North East

Discussion in 'North East' started by draelectricals, Aug 25, 2011.

1. draelectricals

draelectricals UKBF Regular Free Member

321 22
    Hello everyone

I'm looking to try some new networking groups in the North East, and wondered if you can recommend any? I'm based in Tyne & Wear but will travel.

I've tried BNI, IP Connect and the Mussel Club, and I'm a member of the NECC so I'm looking for alternatives.

Any suggestions?

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 By: draelectricals Member since: Mar 10, 2010
  2. SBOnline

SBOnline UKBF Newcomer Full Member

598 175
    Have you tried your local chamber of commerce? In my area they often hold meetings for networking and many businesses find being a member beneficial.

You could also try Business Link for networking information - there will be a local office in your area I would imagine.

All the best.

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 By: SBOnline Member since: Apr 4, 2011
  3. j600com

j600com UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

741 201
    Also try linkedin, various regional groups on there

Posted: Aug 26, 2011 By: j600com Member since: Apr 27, 2011
  4. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,275 667
    Hi - I am also from the North East. I guess a part of the answer lies in your aim in finding alternatives to the growing Mussel Club, and the Chamber. Not a hostile question, a real one.

There are, in fact, many networking groups locally, operating at various levels. Some are essentially clubs of micro businesses, some represent SME. Happy to chat through specifics if you drop me a line!

Posted: Aug 26, 2011 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  5. keeleyja

keeleyja UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    Hi,
    I can put you in touch with a great one called IPNconnect if you want? They are about supporting businesses and creating member to member work. let me know

Posted: Aug 27, 2011 By: keeleyja Member since: Apr 6, 2011
  6. Remote Resources

Remote Resources UKBF Regular Full Member

322 106
    Have you not tried the one in your signature?

Being a founding member and all......:p

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    Posted: Aug 28, 2011 By: Remote Resources Member since: Oct 5, 2010
  7. cgwpublishing

cgwpublishing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

53 13
    Remote Resources... that's a ridiculous idea. Richard's saying he's already tried all the ones he's mentioned and they don't work for him. So it seems that the Mushroom Club should be avoided too. Good heads-up! Otherwise we might have thought that he was raising the topic just to promote it. Perish the thought. :>

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 By: cgwpublishing Member since: Jul 23, 2011
  8. Homshaw

Homshaw UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

811 99
    I think for the right business networking groups are great when you are starting out but unless you are looking for "non-stop" expansion after a couple of years most of your available customer should know that you are there and your reputation.

At some point if you are not generating work by "word of mouth" you need to look at the business model.

These networking groups cost money and are time consuming. My biggest problem is they require you to pass work to other members in preference to your own customers who have been good enough to give you work.

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 By: Homshaw Member since: Apr 18, 2008
  9. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,335 1,782
    What do people get out of this "networking".

Shouldn't you be working instead of eating food and drink with strangers who struggle to get enough business.

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  10. draelectricals

321 22
    Hello, thanks for the note. I'm a member of NECC - the local chamber. I'm aware how to get info on networking groups, I'm asking people if they can recommend any groups

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 By: draelectricals Member since: Mar 10, 2010
  11. draelectricals

321 22
    Can I just say to everyone that has posted so far - thanks for the time wasting.

I have asked a simple question - can you recommend any networking groups. That means someone would reply saying something like "i go to xxx networking group and they are great, they meeting in sunderland, I'd recommend you try them".

That's all I am asking for.

BNI is not for me. I'm a member of the NECC. I'm a founder member of the Mushroom club which does work. I've been to IPN Connect. I'm looking to connect with other groups and so I am asking for recommendations.

And just to add - networking is brilliant for me - it makes me lots of contacts and gets me plenty of work. I'm not starting a debate about the pros and cons of networking so if you can't answer the question please just don't bother posting.

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 By: draelectricals Member since: Mar 10, 2010
  12. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,335 1,782
    What's happened to your seo for fun business. Taken a turn for the worst? :D

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  13. draelectricals

321 22
    Hello Massey, been a while mate. No the seo is fine, however, it's more a hobby than a business. PAT testing is my business.

I do networking because I enjoy it and find it useful, this thread was merely to find out if there were any local groups I wasn't aware of - I guess not

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: draelectricals Member since: Mar 10, 2010
  14. JDX_John

JDX_John UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,075 125
    Try 4N. They have chapters in Durham, Darlington and Newcastle (at least). I'm an online-only member since my time is spent doing other stuff right now.

Posted: Sep 24, 2011 By: JDX_John Member since: Mar 26, 2009
  15. alex360

alex360 UKBF Regular Full Member

110 11
    Hi Richard
    have you tried the Entrepreneur Forum, it was created by Sir Peter Vardy and other business people when I was a member many years ago it was very good. I happy to catch up with you and learn more about your business I am based in Newcastle

Posted: Nov 21, 2017 By: alex360 Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  16. Countrymun

Countrymun UKBF Contributor Free Member

83 14
    I signed up to some local groups through meetup. com - I am not sure I would describe them as networking groups but I assume that people do network at them :)

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 By: Countrymun Member since: Sep 13, 2014