Need opinion on business name

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by 007711k, Sep 11, 2021.

?

What name do you prefer for a computer repair business?

1. Congruent IT

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Exponential IT

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 007711k

007711k UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    Helpful, and concise. Thank you.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 By: 007711k Member since: Sep 11, 2021
  2. 007711k

007711k UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    lol Just read that.

I assumed no one replied - I stopped getting notifications from the website after the first two comments. My mistake.

Great community.

Massive gratitude for the feedback.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 By: 007711k Member since: Sep 11, 2021
  3. yyovvo

yyovvo yyovvo...The People's Gift Shop Full Member

33 1
    Remember, you need a name that has not been taken on any of the social media platforms too!

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 By: yyovvo Member since: Sep 5, 2021
  4. yyovvo

33 1
    Much more difficult coming up with a name now than 20-yrs ago. You need to also consider the domain name is available and ''AFFORDABLE''! I have had to answer a lot of questions why I named my business yyovvo! Sounds silly to the average person but then when you try to find a name that has already not been taken on all the 10 most prominent social media platforms, a name that has not been registered as a domain, then you start to realise that your options start to dwindle.

5. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,044 10,697
    Google doesn’t like it. Keeps telling me I should be searching for ovvo.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Legend

6,443 2,762
    People over think it. 90% of the time the business name is irrelevant - the name/brand is built on the success of the business, not vice versa.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. yyovvo

33 1
    Could not agree more. You make the name! I guess the same goes for people's names; Zuckerberg and Bezos would be the same names without the success of the people behind them.

8. yyovvo

33 1
    exactly! so you end up with an unusual name. But on the upside, eventually when you manage to build a strong brand around that ''unusual name'', it gives you a stronger domain.

9. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews UKBF Ace

357 108
    Yes perhaps a bit too concise but was in a bit of a rush.
    I just did a local google search on computer repairs and this came up.

Your Computer Assistant Ltd.
    Servicios Sabinillas
    Speed PC Sabinillas

Sabinillas is where I live so this may be attractive if you are doing homes rather than business.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021
  10. Connie Powell

Connie Powell UKBF Newcomer

37 2
    Always go for a name that's personable or easy to say! You don't have to use your name or location, but it's better to use a name that's linked to who you are, where you are or what you do. You can combine a word you like, that's related to your business, with part of your name. Hope that helps.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 By: Connie Powell Member since: Sep 23, 2019
  11. MattRumbelow

MattRumbelow UKBF Newcomer

37 8
    I agree with other people about the name maybe being too difficult (I often use two tests with names: will people know how to spell it; and will people be happy saying it as they pick up the phone)

Saying that, however, I think '[first name]'s IT' can sound a little unimpressive. Most local computer shops look incredibly trustworthy, and that is mainly because their premises look like pawn shops and their names sound too dodgy. For some people, their computer may be the most expensive item they own, and if it's a company, it may be the core of their business. Having a more 'proper' brand name might make all the difference.

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 By: MattRumbelow Member since: Oct 4, 2021